Getting My Feet Wet

raymac1946

Old But Crafty
I have been a TANE user (on Steam) since the Beta came out in 2014. I also had TS12 for a while when TANE was still being finalized.
Recently I got a new computer which allows me to run a bit higher graphics so I decided to try out TRS19. I got the North American edition. Then I downloaded my DLC from Steam, added in my JR locos and rolling stock, plus my K&L steamers. I took advantage of the upgrade to get rid of a bunch of old assets that didn't look that great even in TANE. I have also added in a few of MSGSapper's excellent routes.
I wasn't sure if I'd like the more subdued lighting compared to TANE but it looks very realistic to me. The new driver interface is an absolute joy (at least the easy one is.)
I'm still figuring out the Sessions creation. Without Quick Drive I seem to be cloning the route every time I make a Session.
I think I'll keep TANE around though. I suck at route building and I am sure my bad TANE routes aren't worth importing into TRS19. I'll have to learn about the new route building features in the latest release. For now I'll stick to driving and exploration.
It's early days but so far I don't regret moving over to TRS19.

TRS19 route building is the same as Tane. Build the route and session and save before entering driver. On startup open the edit session and not edit route and do any work, again save before you enter driver. Once you enter driver you can save the route (but you don't have to) but don't save the session as the session only saves at the point you exit. Only save it if you wish to continue where you exited.

I found I had to use "save as" when I first set up a session and then it worked a lot better..one route, several sessions.

If you do bring any Tane routes into '19 be sure to reset your environment lighting or they generally appear too dark (opinion)
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools
The only TANE routes I brought over were the DLC ones I had - Hinton Sub, Kickstarter County 1, ECML, Cornish Mainline. I installed some new TRS19 routes from DLS. I checKed the DLC routes in TRS19 and most look OK. Hinton's Thurmond Empties is very foggy but it's already broken and needs some editing to free up the camera.
I'm not sure what sort of massaging you would do on the lighting.

It is very much a matter of personal preference. I have never had to adjust the environmental settings in any route, of my own creation or from the DLS/DLC. I find that the default lighting settings suit my needs, but again that is my personal preference.

One factor that could play a part are the individual differences between display systems. The same route/session (with identical lighting settings) played on two different monitors can have noticeable differences in appearance. I can even see differences (contrast, brightness, tonal range, etc) in the same desktop background image on different monitors.

My thoughts.

It is very much a matter of personal preference. I have never had to adjust the environmental settings in any route, of my own creation or from the DLS/DLC. I find that the default lighting settings suit my needs, but again that is my personal preference.

One factor that could play a part are the individual differences between display systems. The same route/session (with identical lighting settings) played on two different monitors can have noticeable differences in appearance. I can even see differences (contrast, brightness, tonal range, etc) in the same desktop background image on different monitors.

My thoughts.

I do see a fair difference in the lighting effects between TANE and TRS19. The former is brighter and with greater contrast. However the lighting in TRS19 seems more natural. This is on an LG IPS monitor.

I generally keep the lighting brighter when I am working in Surveyor so I can see where I am placing things, but when I setup driver sessions, I adjust the lighting to something more natural.

I haven't done any route construction in TRS19 as yet, but the lighting in any session I have tried seems to be OK.
One problem I had when trying to back a steam loco into the Hinton roundhouse was strange smoke artifacts under the turntable and nothing much coming out of the stack. I saw this a few times in TANE as well.

The only TANE routes I brought over were the DLC ones I had - Hinton Sub, Kickstarter County 1, ECML, Cornish Mainline. I installed some new TRS19 routes from DLS. I checKed the DLC routes in TRS19 and most look OK. Hinton's Thurmond Empties is very foggy but it's already broken and needs some editing to free up the camera.

I've had some Tanes routes open and it appeared as if it was 9:00pm when a time check showed that it was mid-day. The opposite is aslo true. Some items so "white" there were just pure white shapes (no texture/no shading). Resetting the environment lighting always fixes. It's not my monitor or anything else as it's only certain downloaded sessions and lighting reset/adjustment always fixes the issue.

I've had some Tanes routes open and it appeared as if it was 9:00pm when a time check showed that it was mid-day. The opposite is aslo true. Some items so "white" there were just pure white shapes (no texture/no shading). Resetting the environment lighting always fixes. It's not my monitor or anything else as it's only certain downloaded sessions and lighting reset/adjustment always fixes the issue.
Thanks. I'll look out for this on any TANE route I bring in.

Back