Computer Upgrade PSU Question

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Having a slightly old pc (10 years), I finally bit the bullet and bought new parts to upgrade it. Namely an Asus Rog Strix B450-F motherboard and an AMD Ryzen 2600X 6 core AM4 cpu, plus a GTX 1050 Ti G1 video card. So far so good, until I put in the (old) PSU. First I found the board expected an 8 pin ATX power connector but the power supply came with only 4 pin (P7). Then I noticed vague references on forums suggesting 600 watts may be required when it is only 300 watts. So realising I need to upgrade the PSU, the question which I can't find an answer for, is how powerful does the PSU need to be, 600 or more?
Thanks in advance.

Depends on what hardware you have installed such as Processor, Ram, GPU, SSDs, hard Drives, Optical drive mother board even fans all add to the power requirement.

Best bet is to try one of the Online PSU calculators. This one is apparently pretty good https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator.

Don't buy a cheap unknown brand though as they are often not actually the rating as stated. 600 Watt would probably be pretty close if using for gaming.

Last edited:
Back