Fort William-Mallaig

nimec

Having just read some praise about this route in a travel Magazine, I looked it up on the DLS and find there are 3 versions, the latest being <Kuid2:117648::1022:1> a 2.9 version by Nawlins who had updated Vern's original route. Unfortunately Nawlins version is for Ts09 and not TANE.

Does anyone have it running in TANE and if so how difficult was it to fix to run in TANE? I understand from Gremllin1812 that routes from Ts09 and Ts10 versions are easier the transfer to TANE than Ts12 versions [ is that correct? ] but not being very proficient at error fixing especially texture problems I am reluctant to try to do it.

In a post of mine in October 2014 enquiring about the West Highland Line, Vern replied that it was one of his routes as was the Fort William- Mallaig, but saying the he didn't have time to update them as he was working on another route. I see on the DLS however that there have been over 13,000 downloads of the nawlins 2.9 version of the Fort William- Mallaig line, so I wonder if there was a TANE copy out there somewhere? Thats a lot of downloads.
Cheers

Having just read some praise about this route in a travel Magazine, I looked it up on the DLS and find there are 3 versions, the latest being <Kuid2:117648::1022:1> a 2.9 version by Nawlins who had updated Vern's original route. Unfortunately Nawlins version is for Ts09 and not TANE.

Does anyone have it running in TANE and if so how difficult was it to fix to run in TANE? I understand from Gremllin1812 that routes from Ts09 and Ts10 versions are easier the transfer to TANE than Ts12 versions [ is that correct? ] but not being very proficient at error fixing especially texture problems I am reluctant to try to do it.

Cheers

I don't have the route, however, I can probably help you convert the route over to T:ANE format.

The TS2009 and TS2010 versions most likely use older trees and not Speed Trees which makes them easier to transfer because there is no need to replace assets first. For routes done in TS12 which use the TS12 version of Speed Trees, these trees need to be either updated to a compatible Speed Tree, or the trees need to be replaced with the older-style billboard trees.

For compatible Speed Trees, there are some Ultra: Trees by McGuirel which work. I'm sorry I don't know which ones offhand, but there are some direct replacements. RMM also made some Speed Trees which are compatible with TS12 and have an equivalent replacement in T:ANE. The problem here is neither Mcguirel nor RMM have a complete set of trees and shrubs so the choice is limited with Mcguirel having a less extensive set in T:ANE while RMM has more.

For billboard trees, you can use Clam1952's CL Tree and CL Shrub series. These are quite nice and he has trees that are compatible with both versions and more optimized version for T:ANE should you wish to update your trees later with these.

The process of changing them out is relatively easy. Open the route in TS12 Surveyor and replace the Speed Trees in there with the ones of your choice. The process can take time, however, depending upon the number of trees which need replacing. The actual task can be accomplished by using the Replace Asset Utility which is found under the Main menu in Surveyor.

Hope this helps.

It is notable that I no longer have the Fort William-Mallaig route on T:ANE; notable in that I did have it at one time. This makes me suspect I gave up trying to access some "unknown assets," which is the usual reason I drop routes along the way. It's worth a try, though!

I will suggest that you checkout the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE route. it works beautifully, and the expansive baseboarding (creating vast vistas in the highlands) is incredible to see in T:ANE! Plus, there is attention to detail in places that is phenomenal.

In a post of mine in October 2014 enquiring about the West Highland Line, Vern replied that it was one of his routes as was the Fort William- Mallaig, but saying the he didn't have time to update them as he was working on another route. I see on the DLS however that there have been over 13,000 downloads of the nawlins 2.9 version of the Fort William- Mallaig line, so I wonder if there was a TANE copy out there somewhere? Thats a lot of downloads.
Cheers

Hi nimec.

It's been donkeys years since I looked at Fort William-Mallaig but I feel pretty sure that it will play in T:ANE without too much fiddling.

I have just completed an update of Glasgow Queen St. to T:ANE (now on the DLS) and I was wondering what to do next. This may be the one!

This rework of Vern's route was a collaboration between myself and tmz06003. It has my name on it but Tony was the main contributor in terms of research and planning.

So I'll contact him and see if he will agree to a T:ANE update.

In the mean time you can't hurt anything by downloading and trying the route in T:ANE. Give it a whirl.

Cheers and good luck!

I've tried it in T:ANE but it didn't work, it just came up as blank square as far as I can remember. I have read something recently in the forums, I can't quite remember where though, of a similar problem with another older route. It was apparently cured by changing the name of some of the files to 'mapfile.xxx' or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Rob.

Edit: Found the route, Turks Castle, here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...rks-Castle-1892-TRS2004&p=1590450#post1590450

Last edited:
I managed to get the 2009 version working in TANE without too much fuss but it looks a little dated now. An update with new trees and protrack would be great. Personally I'd quite like to see a version backdated to steam days with the original Fort William station...

I will suggest that you checkout the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland 2014 TANE route. it works beautifully, and the expansive baseboarding (creating vast vistas in the highlands) is incredible to see in T:ANE! Plus, there is attention to detail in places that is phenomenal.

The F&WHR route is definitley fantastic but is largely irrelevant to the discussion. The West Highland and Welsh Highland are two entirely separate railways running on different gauges in different countries.

Hi nimec.

It's been donkeys years since I looked at Fort William-Mallaig but I feel pretty sure that it will play in T:ANE without too much fiddling.

I have just completed an update of Glasgow Queen St. to T:ANE (now on the DLS) and I was wondering what to do next. This may be the one!

This rework of Vern's route was a collaboration between myself and tmz06003. It has my name on it but Tony was the main contributor in terms of research and planning.

So I'll contact him and see if he will agree to a T:ANE update.

In the mean time you can't hurt anything by downloading and trying the route in T:ANE. Give it a whirl.

Cheers and good luck!

Hi Chris
This is one of my favourite TS12 routes which would look brilliant in TANE. It gets my vote.

Ken

The F&WHR route is definitley fantastic but is largely irrelevant to the discussion. The West Highland and Welsh Highland are two entirely separate railways running on different gauges in different countries.
Ah, come now, didn't you see where the OP is hailing from? New Zealand. Now, you mark a line from here to there and what? Off by one degree surely puts right in the heart of the F&WHR (well, perhaps even Paris, let's see...). ;)

I was just responding to the "Having just read some praise about this route in a travel Magazine..." Well, the F&WHR should fit just as well in the praiseworthy category, I'd say!

Last edited:
I've tried it in T:ANE but it didn't work, it just came up as blank square as far as I can remember. I have read something recently in the forums, I can't quite remember where though, of a similar problem with another older route. It was apparently cured by changing the name of some of the files to 'mapfile.xxx' or something like that, if I remember correctly.

Rob.

I have just finished downloading the route and all of the sessions into T:ANE SP2 beta 87422 and I have one missing dependency and one faulty dependency. Both easy fixes.

I take Ed's point about needing a big update re trees, track and such. That will happen of course.

Cheers
Chris n

Rob.

I have just finished downloading the route and all of the sessions into T:ANE SP2 beta 87422 and I have one missing dependency and one faulty dependency. Both easy fixes.

I take Ed's point about needing a big update re trees, track and such. That will happen of course.

Cheers
Chris n

The fastest way to update an older route is to pass it through TS12. Open the route, make the changes then save it. T:ANE imports TS12 route much easier than those of prior versions.

Must admit I haven't tried bringing the route(s) either my original or the reworked version into TANE. Wondering if importing into TS12 first and saving under a different name/KUID then exporting that version into TANE might work?

At some point I probably ought to revisit the route myself, with a fresh start in particular taking advantage of the much higher resolution DEM and mapping overlay that can give more accurate results than the HOG contour tracing I believe I used.

Hi Vern,

I have just downloaded the 09 version directly in to T;ANE (route only, no sessions) and it works in T;ANE with no alterations. The only thing I had to do on a run from Fort William all the way to Mallaig was change some of the junctions. I did relay some of the track in an earlier version which I have lost now but it runs quite well as it is although the BR speed signs don't show as they should, they have a texture problem.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Must admit I haven't tried bringing the route(s) either my original or the reworked version into TANE. Wondering if importing into TS12 first and saving under a different name/KUID then exporting that version into TANE might work?

At some point I probably ought to revisit the route myself, with a fresh start in particular taking advantage of the much higher resolution DEM and mapping overlay that can give more accurate results than the HOG contour tracing I believe I used.

Hi Vern. I downloaded the 09 version directly into T:ANE SP1hf4 and three of the four sessions ran right out of the box. no problems whatsoever. The fourth session has an unknown kuid <kuid2:2512:5556:2> by pikabird.

Can't find it anywhere. if someone can help, please let me know.

I also download and ran the route/session in T:ANE SP2 latest beta. Works great.

Can't speak for your original version, but it may be a good idea to do it the way you suggest, using TS12. Good luck.

Cheers

Edit: I found the missing dependency in my TS12 version of Trainz. it's pikabird's Stanier 5MT 4-6-0 Lined BR Black.

Last edited:
Changing the file names to "mapfile.xxx" for routes that come up blank is so much easier because TS12 doesn't have to be dealt with.

Hate to even open TS12 anymore.

Harold

Changing the file names to "mapfile.xxx" for routes that come up blank is so much easier because TS12 doesn't have to be dealt with.

Hate to even open TS12 anymore.

Harold

I only use TS12 to convert routes now. Open up, make necessary changes, save. Exit... Export route to CDP or leave open for edit to import into T:ANE.

Thanks to everyone for your replies

cressjl – I actually do have Clams Festinog. Top Quality. As you say it is excellently detailed but I have a problem with the AI session <kuid2:458053:101306:3> Ffestiniog & Welsh Hilaghland : 2015 High Summer which I haven’t been able to resolve yet. It doesn’t respond to the triggers. Have deleted the session and reinstalled it but no change. [The spelling mistake in the session name is the creators, not mine]
Incidently I have seen a plaque in the pavement on a street corner in Lisbon, Portugal, that says that NZ is directly opposite not Paris, or Wales, but nice try.

Nawlins – TANE does such great things to the visuals on some of these routes, so if you see your way clear to work with Vern and tmz06003 to update it I’m sure it would be a popular route. Presumably if you do update it, it will be a new kuid number and it will not obsolete the 2009 one if installed in TANE?

Vern- If you are the Vern Moorehouse who created the fictional Highland Link route, then I really like your work. Though it is very stark around Corrour to the top of the pass, the way you have the hills are superb in my opinion, as is the run from the top down to Dalwhinnie along the Loch. If the Malliag to Fort William is of that quality one can see why it’s so popular with over 13,000 downloads

JCitron – John, thank you for your offer. I’m going to go with it and install it in TS12 first as suggested and with your offer of assistance, try to fix any errors then import it into TANE. Will be in touch

Bill69 - Didn’t know you had it installed mate. I should have asked you first but know you are busy on other things at present. However the responses from the others were good to see and that it may possibly be upgraded to TANE. Maybe they will even connect it at Malliag to the West Highland line. Let’s hope.
Cheers

Also talking about the West Highland line, Wikipedia says:

'The West Highland Line isa railway line linking the ports of Mallaig and Oban in the Scottish Highlandsto Glasgow in Central Scotland. The line was voted the top rail journey in theworld by readers of independent travel magazine Wanderlust in 2009, ahead ofthe iconic Trans-Siberian line in Russia and the Cuzco to Machu Picchu line inPeru. The ScotRail websi….....'

That's some write up.

I wrote a post about the Trainz version in 2014 wondering if it was suitable for TANE, but today, cant find it on the DLS. at all. Anyone know why or if I have the title wrong etc?
Cheers

Edit: Perhaps its payware. If so, anyone know where its available?

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your replies

Nawlins – TANE does such great things to the visuals on some of these routes, so if you see your way clear to work with Vern and tmz06003 to update it I’m sure it would be a popular route. Presumably if you do update it, it will be a new kuid number and it will not obsolete the 2009 one if installed in TANE?

Hi nimec. I have already downloaded and installed Fort William-Mallaig into T:ANE SP1hf4 directly (No need for TS12).

On the route there was one faulty asset, a jankvis shrub spline that needed a thumbnail. And there was a cast speed sign that was showing as a green and white rectangle. I bulk changed it out for a "good one". That's it!

The sessions work fine.

I have created a new kuid for the T:ANE route and I have changed the track to procedural and I'm about 90% done with the vegetation.

I have no desire to change anything else on the route. It looks very good as it is.

Probably going to a 5m grid would improve some things but that's a huge undertaking and I'm not sure that the end result would be worth the effort

I will update some rolling stock in the sessions. Haven't got there yet.

I've spoken with Tony and he's okay with the update and as Vern has previously approved the TS09 version I feel sure that he wont object to this further update. Right Vern? :D

Cheers

Chris - in the immortal words of Capt. Picard, "Make it so!"

With regard to 5m grid probably not much point in changing to this, as noted the terrain was created by older crude methods not the hi-res DEM and fully featured Transdem system we now enjoy.

Hi Nawlins. I had actually downloaded it into Ts12 before I saw your post so not to worry. Only one error, and that was the jankvis vegetation one which I fixed, then put a consist on it and ran it.

All good. In your post above you mention 'sessions' but there were no sessions in the route I downloaded which was <Kuid2:117648::1022:1> a 2.9 version which I presume is your latest one?

There was a session on the DLS but it was not by you , Vern or tmz06003. Are there others that I have missed or were you talking about your own ones?

Now that you are doing the upgrade I'll wait until you finish it before installing it in TANE. No use filling up the SSD with obsolete kuids. Its certainly a nice route and good for a steam engine driving with the undulating countryside. Look forward to you finished product.

Cheers

Back