Rare Trains - something you don't see everyday

airtime

the age of the train
As the title suggests, I thought I would start a thread on rare trains, the trains that you don't see everyday.

I'll start with one from America, would anyone like an SD40-2.?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7MonfXuKuDU

There are plenty of horns and tones in this one, and plenty of SD40-2's as well.

----------------------

And the second one from the UK, caught on the East Coast Mainline...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq2Nti4Iu_0&feature=related

Many thanks to MattBNSF1991 for the SD40 Video, and many thanks to Jules46443 for the E.C.M.L video

Joe Airtime

Don't know where I found it

Treinenblomme_zps04d15d4f.jpg

Treinenblomme1_zpsa2f5fafa.jpg

BR Class 23 "Baby Deltic" (only 10 built)
300px-Class_23_D5901.jpg

LNER W1 4-6-4 "Hush Hush" (only one built)
w1.jpg

NER EE.1 Electric Locomotive (only one built)
ee1_1.jpg

Reid-McLeod Steam Turbine (only one built)
reidmacleod_springburn.png

NYC Commodore Vanderbuilt (only one built)
NYC+Commodore+Vanderbilt+-+2.jpg

C&O M1 Steam Turbine (only one built)
CO1.jpg

Apart from the Commadore Vanderbilt, none of these are in Trainz. (Yes, there is a "Baby Deltic", but it doesn't look anything like the real thing)

Does that include trains that used to appear more frequently? If so, DRS and their nuclear waste train, usually formed of 2xClass 37 or 2xClass 20, plus one or two nuclear container wagons.

Shane

Thank you, Joe for posting this.

The big train of SD40s and SD-45s appears to be going back to the lessor. It's quite a train though of diesels. We'll have to do something like that in Trainz. :D

John

Thank you, Joe for posting this.

The big train of SD40s and SD-45s appears to be going back to the lessor. It's quite a train though of diesels. We'll have to do something like that in Trainz. :D

John

Not a problem John, I'm glad you liked it, the train would probably look amazing in Trainz, hope your well, it's good to see great friends still active in the forums.

Also many thanks to all who have added to this thread, there is some good stuff on here, which I didn't even know about.

Thank you to BD1 for sharing some of them excellent clips, some of them including a strange look into the future, and a memorable look into the past.

Joe Airtime

Last edited:
C&O M1 Steam Turbine (only one built)

>snip<

Apart from the Commadore Vanderbilt, none of these are in Trainz. (Yes, there is a "Baby Deltic", but it doesn't look anything like the real thing)

Actually, Cloaked Ghost is working on this one.....

Ah. The good old EMD SD40-2. One of the greatest locomotives ever built. Why stop production? I say the most rarest locomotive that you will NEVER see operating on a railroad is the UP Big Boy. The largest steam locomotive ever built. Maybe a DD40AX or a FT Diesel. The FT Diesel is the diesel that took out steam forever.

The Virginian Railway Triplex

This Triplex locomotive was built by Baldwin in 1916 for use a pusher engines on coal trains on the Virginian's 13.4 mile Clark's Gap (2%) grade across the crest of Flat Top Mountain in West Virginia. When built, it was the heaviest (844,000 lbs) and more powerful (tractive effort: 146,000 lbs) locomotive in the world. The locomotive was a compound, with 2 sets of high-pressure cylinders and 1 low-pressure set, but all three sets were of identical size, a deviation from the typical compound-articulated design of using larger high-pressure cylinders.

The Virginian's 2-8-8-8-4 Triplex was never as successful as hoped and only one was ever built. Although the VGN loco used a larger boiler than the Erie Triplex it couldn't keep up a good head of steam.

The Triplex was shipped back to Baldwin and rebuilt as two locomotives -- a 2-8-8-0 (pic) and a 2-8-2 (pic). The 2-8-8-0 was used successfully in pusher service, but since the Virginian's pusher locos did a lot of backing up (13.4 miles worth) on the rather curvy Clark's Gap grade, a trailer truck was soon added to the 2-8-8-0, turning it into a 2-8-8-2. Both the 2-8-2 and 2-8-8-2 were used in service until the end of the steam era.

Virginian_Railway_Triplex.jpg

After the Triplex failure, Baldwin went back to the drawing board and came up with the Virginian 2-10-10-2 design, which worked out very well. The Virginian had hoped to be able to move 55-car trains using a Mallet on the front together with the Triplex pushing on the rear. Instead, the Virginian ended up being able to run 75-car coal trains up Clark's Gap (at a maximum speed of six to seven miles per hour) by using a 2-8-8-2 Mallet on the head end, along with two of the heavier, more powerful 2-10-10-2 Mallets cut in the middle and end of the train. The two pushers were dropped off at the summit of Clark's Gap and from there the single 2-8-8-2 Mallet handled the train to the end of the freight district at Princeton, WV. The two 2-10-10-2 pushers then returned (running backwards) down the 13.4 mile grade to Elmore, WV, where they were fueled and serviced in preparation for being used as pushers on another coal drag up the grade. During the era, the Virginian managed to move 400+ cars of coal per day across Clark's Gap using this technique!

Last edited:
As the title suggests, I thought I would start a thread on rare trains, the trains that you don't see everyday.

I'll start with one from America, would anyone like an SD40-2.?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7MonfXuKuDU

There are plenty of horns and tones in this one, and plenty of SD40-2's as well.

----------------------

And the second one from the UK, caught on the East Coast Mainline...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq2Nti4Iu_0&feature=related

Many thanks to MattBNSF1991 for the SD40 Video, and many thanks to Jules46443 for the E.C.M.L video

Joe Airtime

That first video only had one SD40-2. All the rest were SD40T-2's.

Its always seemed a bit odd to me that the designers of the triplex engines couldn't see the built-in faults.

1. They added 2 steam using cylinders but no additional steam producing capacity.
2. As fuel and water was used up - tractive effort decreased due the lesser amount of weight on the rear (tender) engine.

The Erie triplex is available as payware from PaulzTrainzUSA.

Ben

What about 'Big Bertha' (Or 'Big Emma', or simply 'The Lickey Banker'), built by the Midland Railway to bank trains up the Lickey Incline between Bromsgrove and Blackwell?

0-10-0-Big-Bertha-Banker-Engine.jpg

Commissioned by me, pcas1986 has built her in Trainz and Decapod has a MSTS version too.

Kieran.

Back