Kawasaki M8 in the works

malikrthr

I am working on a new project that will go along with my major tri state area route. In Sketchup Pro 8, I am making the Kawasaki M8's. I just got the texturing for the front of the car done, using it as a guide, and some technical drawings and blueprints from an LIRR M7. I am so proud to be working on these. Now that I know how to do different things with the textures, I plan on starting over with the NJT comet IV cab car. Stay tuned for some pics.

Awesome! I have an M8 from a 3rd-party site, but it's got a couple of graphical bugs i.e. the top headlights being 3-4m above where they should be. Plus it's too short for its pantographs (they don't come close to touching the catenary).

I have that one.Here are the first two screenshots of the M8. The white rectangle under the car is going to be for the bogeys. The front of the car is almost complete.

3195fb12839a8a828868b8862c1d988e.jpg

4ec6c2164497d046f560d2c071150ba2.jpg

Side shots (WARNING: LARGE IMAGES)

Would anyone have any pictures of the side of the M8.
Google is your friend.

4e4475b32128a.image.jpg

0722111322a.jpg

M8Car9109.jpg

Note that the cars also have their running numbers printed in white in the middle of the red stripe on either side of the car.

Here's a video showing the cab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3IvtBgp78U

Another view (little closer, but camera is shakier) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT2DbxW7dE4

And there are several more videos on YouTube showing interior and exterior lateral views of the M8. I recommend clicking around; you'll never know what you might find.

Last edited:
Thanks. I know I used the textures for the front of the car, but would it also be necessary to use textures for the side, roof, and interior of the car. Also, do you know how I can get the whole texture clipped to the side of the car. For example, the second image, would it be possible to angle that image in a way to the entire side of the car clearly?

Is there a way to remove the lines on the side of the car without having a certain area of the car erase itself so I won't have errors when pulling or pushing the door. I cannot make the doors because of those lines. The error has something to do with not letting me push or pull the door because the lines are curved.

I would just like to let everyone know, this project is not dead. I am still working on it. I had to start over because that mistake I made with the curved lines seemed to mess everything up. I think I know how to get past that now. The shell is complete. Now I have to work on the roof, side doors, windows, and more. Screenshots will be posted soon once I make more progress.

Nice. Looks exactly like the real thing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

A word of advice - take a look at all the pantographs that are out there to find one that fits well. I'd recommend drchoi21's Generic Panto (downloadable from TPR). Also, in the married pair, only one car has the panto.

Don't worry everyone. This project is not vaporware. I decided to work on the Major Tri State Area Project for a while. Time to spend some time on this. Screenshots will be posted soon.

Neat, I am seriously looking forward to driving a prototypical M8. The ones on TCR (I'm sure I've said this before) are reskinned M7As that still use the M7A cab and have a few problems with corona positioning.

Here is some work that I did on the M8. I am so happy I finally solved that problem with getting that bend on the lower half of the doors. So now, one of the sides is fully complete. I just have to work on the other side of the body, the roof, and all the motors and wheels under the car and then I would have to figure out some way to get this into trainz.

51b171aab5feded58281300a21ef2110.jpg

07c3ec2c99d25340369ae1a44b68500b.jpg

a0fbe75f288adad1a24f496f8f3443cd.jpg

What does everyone think? So far, I think everything is working great. I think the only problem that I will run into is working on the interior, but I probably don't need that. Of course in trainz, it will have a cab. If not the built in M7 cab, then I can take a stab at making my own cab in sketchup. While I am working on the M8, would anyone like to help out by making an engine sound for this in trainz?

i think I can help u with that. fortunately, u can use the M7's default cab as is, because the cab is...well, basically identical to the M8. just needs a little re-texture is all.

Looking good. Will you be adding destination textures as well?

Oh, and mikey186: Be sure to format the sounds appropriately for Trainz build 2.7 and up. The audio should be 176 kbps mono wav format.

Be sure to format the sounds appropriately for Trainz build 2.7 and up. The audio should be 176 kbps mono wav format.

yes, i KNOW that. question is that what trainz version will he export the M8 into? like TS2009? than ill make it for TS2009

Back