Old Content Question

1. LWVRR
    LWVRR
    Something to think about...What kind of content places a layout in the past? My top answer has to be vehicles, cars and trucks, buses and so on. It might just be me, but I can pretty much place the era of any picture just by seeing the vehicles in it. What other items can influence a layout to a particular era?
  2. Jananton
    Jananton
    If you go far enough back switches had no tongues like today, but fixed part sets that where shifted sideways into place. One set for straight, one set for diverging right or left. There's probably a name for those, but I don't know it off hand.

Greets,

Jan
  3. Pencil42
    Pencil42
    We call them stub switches here in the US, but that may vary worldwide.

Edit: and to anwser the original question,
    Vehicles, types and sizes of roads, building architecture, rolling stock and locomotives.
  4. LWVRR
    LWVRR
    Interesting, building architecture can be used but there is a flaw in that thinking. A building structure can last a long time. There are building built in the 1800's that still stand today. If you take a picture of that building, you're not taking a picture of it in the 1800's..if you know what I mean. So far we can agree that machinery...including cars and trains can dictate a photo's era. What else?
  5. girlsloverailroads2
    girlsloverailroads2
    Vehicle oriented (besides the obvious)= bicycles; early Ford 'Flivers' and later early 50's Willys, Nashes, Land Rovers and various station wagons that were decked out full for camping/hunting/fishing- in the new US Nat Parks or on safari; horses/mules/oxen plowing instead of tractors; drive in theatres; fast food car hops on skates.
    Road oriented= telephone/telegraph/power poles or not; signs from the early 30/40's that hung outside the stores announcing the store had a telephone, then eventually telephone booths (non existent now). Clothing of course, but mostly hats along with neckties or not, and military uniforms .
  6. LWVRR
    LWVRR
    Ah some more ideas. Types of buildings, clothing and the use of animals. very good! What else?
  7. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    Add I think overall housing density and use of lands (organized and arranged) in general. Housing developments of the '50s and onwards became and evolved what we are used to today. Before the fifties and it's growth of interstates (another visual biggie there) and the rise of tract developments ala Levittown, most housing was single lot small town centered -- radiating in a far less dense pattern, and train stations were a central important building, easy to bike, take a horse tram, or walk to. (Sorry Jan, I won't speak to Europe, but I believe there too -- there is a rough parallel. You all have been using the lands longer and had less relative space.) Don't forget many communities were founded as company towns.
    (1602 chars, continued! Grrrr)
  8. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    Continued... [Now I have to wait 30 seconds too! GRRRRRRR!]
    Diminished use of commuter rails killed the more rural transit systems as people drove to work. In PA, note there is still a lot of horse drawn traffic, occasionally even in Philadelphia, from the Amish. Thirties and earlier farms had far more livestock drawn farm equipments like the early McCormick Reapers, and the follow ons. Earliest tractors were Steam Powered Traction engines driven to the field and used a cable and pulley system to draw the plow, too heavy to drive across the fields. My earliest family's tractors were of the Steel tires variety, no Rubber at all. Another neat kit bash would be small 'banger engines' -- Big flywheel things that only fired once the load slowed down a governor, say every 12-15 seconds, those drove the belts of factories and farms alike. //F
  9. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    I can get pics and likely find a video of the later 'Bangers', as my buddy and I visit an annual antique tractor and engines show most every year. Could even buy one, or an older tractor. We're near the right time, so if I'm not to late I'll take a bunch of pics possibly using my sons 'photo-journalist' grade camera, if he'll let me borrow it, or better yet, tag along... //F

P.S. add on the switches styles... the Narrow Gauge layout in T'06 and I think on '09 had period authentic switches, that could be adapted, I suspect if not just used. Seen some 'motors powered' in the '06 cab files that are likely vintage as well.
    P.P.S. John showed me the replace all (Asset substitution) upgrade in '09 yesterday, I think I'm in LOVE. What a time saver that will be!
  10. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    Had an additional pair of 'easy' insights on these:
    First is things which change but don't go whole hog -- retail stores, particularly will alter appearances on the upper by sign changes, different facades and the like, some signs over the sidewalk, store windows alters, a doorway is bricked up or made, lots of little variations. Ditto for a Victorian house or even suburbs: House built, House adds porch, maybe changes color, separate garage built to hold the model-T, a Patio is added or a covered walkway to that garage, which may then become a two or three-fer, then comes swings and baby carriages, and deck and pools. All same local...
    My thought is build base and each change edition. Then substitute manual edits in the Kuid list in the route config.txt file. Any reason that way of altering 15 looks wouldn't work? // Frank