Passing on tips and tricks to THE YOUNG and/or Clueless - help expand the Wiki's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    Hi group!

I'm surprised to be making the very first posting here, but the fates or God may be intervening. I have as some members here know been all but absent from these forums since I signed up three Aprils back. Years back I did a lot of lot of web browsing but have developed a degenerative eye condition which makes viewing pages with bright backgrounds a big eyestrain situation. Hence around the beginning of 2009, really dialed that browsing activity down, all but abandoning for example, contributing to making the world a bit better with extensive editing on Wikipedia, where I'd accrued over 40,000 high quality non-trivial contributions, and worked on about 13 other Wikimedia foundation projects, in particular some things on Wikibooks (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz). Five years adds up!

(continued, some weird 1000 character limit!)
  2. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    My thread here is an appeal for you guys to contribute similarly from your great store of How-To knowledge about Trainz issues and tip & Tricks to the Trainz Wikibooks, which some half dozen or so put up around 2008-2009 before I really got into Trainz. Now Wiki-markup language in a book format is not all that challenging to learn, but I can go that one better. You can avoid that learning curve all together!

If you've some knowledge and can dumb things down for the newbie, on any Trainz topic, I'd like to add your piece to the work. Ditto pages for the Trainz Wiki here, if I can get permission to write into that. In that or those, if you want to put in directly, I can be a trainer; if you'd rather not deal with the Wiki interface, you put the text into a email or attachment, and I'll put it up and integrate to the site.

(continued, some weird 1000 character limit!)
  3. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    I was, as a computer engineer, pretty good at writing even the scripts called templates (Macros for those who know some computing) which places all the box elements and tables and on such web pages.

At the moment, I've started without you. (I saw a few things demanding a better explanation and developed an itch I just had to scratch, if you know what I mean.) So I've overhauled some dated material, modified some material which assumed knowledge which a newbie would be clueless about and started adding page tabbing so one can go page to page in series. I'm pretty good with the editor side of English too, so fixed some grammar too.

That is it in a nutshell, an appeal to pass some accrued knowledge around to benefit others. (This 1000 characters limit is ridiculous when outlining a project!)
  4. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    For starters, take a read through the Wikibook as it stands and start making notes about what needs fixed up, expanded, or corrected. As of now, I've only seen about 10-15% before the itch to edit demanded to be scratched. I'm thinking we'd best sectionalize chapters by release versions for How-To about upgrading assets and such version to version. Putting such tips together with pics and perhaps the odd table would make the book a good reference for everyone, at whatever stage of Trainzing they happen to 'catch the bug', and who are facing various learning curve slopes to climb. I'd like to focus on elementary to intermediate knowledge building initially, then add in advanced techniques and tips later (on the page, or a following related page). At the moment the Wikibook is only loosely organized and unconnected at all. I need to get to the Vets, my dog is eatting the funds I was going to buy a new computer with.

btw: Fabartus -at- gmail -dot- com for direct contact.

Frank
  5. frogpipe
    frogpipe
    A link please.
  6. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    re: foundation projects, in particular some things on Wikibooks (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz). Five years adds up! Above
  7. pcas1986
    pcas1986
    To be honest I prefer to write Trainz WiKi stuff for N3V's WiKi site rather than the WiKiBooks version and I have written for both. The hoops you have to jump through to add a picture for WiKiBooks is a real turn off for me. I guess they think they are doing the right thing but...

Using the TrainzDev WiKi can be a real PITA because it is not structured like a book in the same way as the CCG. It relies on search tools and often they don't find what you need. PEV went to an enormous amount of trouble to upload the CCG to the TrainDev WiKi but I'm not sure of its future. For example, I have a draft page talking about the "uniform colour" issue but I'm not sure if I should include in the CCG part or in the "official" materials area. Curiously, there is no page called "Textures".

(TBC)
  8. pcas1986
    pcas1986
    I don't mind writing tutorials but finding time is the issue. Some topics I'm thinking of are:

How to build a (very) simple loco and get it into Trainz.
    How to set up AssetX for content development and management in Trainz.
    Baking textures in Blender.

Paul Hobbs has an excellent tutorial for building a loco but, in my view, it is too complex for the average first timer and it doesn't cover sufficient detail to get the loco in Trainz.
    I found AssetX to be a revelation after my early attempts at using batch files to move new or updated assets into Content Manager.
  9. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    re: To be honest I prefer to write Trainz WiKi stuff for N3V's WiKi site rather than the WiKiBooks version and I have written for both. The hoops you have to jump through to add a picture for WiKiBooks is a real turn off for me. I guess they think they are doing the right thing but...

That's why I offered to referee so to speak. The wiki culture and pics especially are hitting a wall of legal minefields in international copywriting issues. In the US, we can use a fair use claim license for screen shots for eductional purposes, and since the English language servers are in Florida, we're likely good. Things may have changed, I've been Trainzing instead of working the commons (pic central, but international rules) or the pedia. (US rules). Wikibooks uses the US server, but before I add my tutorial I plan on checking. (How to snoop a Driver Session and identify scoring and end conditions). Some sessions don't consider the kids or use undefined terminology etc.
  10. Fabartus
    Fabartus
    re: How to build a (very) simple loco and get it into Trainz.
    How to set up AssetX for content development and management in Trainz.
    Baking textures in Blender.

I'm afraid it is my sad duty to be the one to inform you that y
    ou didn't write them fast enough. Learning asset creation is why I finally found my way back here, and resolved to stay and become part of the community this time, so write faster! <G>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast