Why do we create?

leeferr

thanks for the memories
Why do we do it? Why do we subject ourselves to the risk of critisism over our creations?

After reading some of the critisism of some creations offered freely by some our our members, I wonder, why do we do it.

We could, afterall, create for ourselves and never share with anyone, but there seems to be some need to share what we've created.

Granted, some of the content that I see is very amateurish, but as with most art forms, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I believe that trainz creations are an art form.

We're not all equal and some are more accomplished than others, but all should be congratulated for their effort. At least they're trying. Each creator has taken the time to learn a 3d creation program which is no small task in itself. They must then texture the mesh, again an artform, and some are better than others. Even after this monumental effort, the creator must decipher how to write a config.txt file, and then get everything up and running in Trainz. Add animation or scripts to it, and the difficulty increases exponentially. The creator goes through all of this and then exposes himself/herself to the judgement of the community. It's much like the showing of new work that an artist goes through. It can be heartwrenching for some. I've developed pretty thick skin myself, so fire away.

So why do we do it?

Some would think for the fame. I think not. At the very heart of the creator is the need to share. A need to convey their interpretation of what they see and feel about the subject.

The young (not necessarily in age) creator has a limited skill set, but still has the desire to create.
My career was as an architect, and by very definition, I had a basic desire to create and share it with others. I wanted my creations to be something that others could use in their daily lives. With every creation, I was subject to the suitability of my design to the intended user. I did not always succeed, but I like to think that did a majority of the time. I won't deny it, there was always a little desire for some appreciation of what I had created, but the real pleasure was that I had created something useful and would continue to be useful for years to come. The only problem with my creations was that if they failed, someone might die. In Trainz, the content just won't be downloaded or used if they fail.

It's the same with Trainz creators. I firmly believe that the greatest compliment that can be paid to a creator is downloads and the use of the content in the end result of Trainz, a route or session. There is no greater feeling to a creator than seeing one of their creations in a screenshot which only confirms to the creator that he/she has created something that someone else saw as having value.

So, the next time that anyone thinks about dissing the creation of something uploaded to the download station, take time to understand that the creator is only trying to share. Their skills may not be as accomplished as others, but they have opened themselves to the community and deserve applause for their effort.

I will close with a footnote by saying that I did not write this as a response to any content that I have shared. It is solely meant as a general observation to some of the posts that I've seen in the forums recently on the creations of some other members. I respect all creators, no matter what their skill. Experience and practice will give us some great work in the future. Negativity will diminish our artform.

Mike

I believe the Creator endowed each man and woman with the desire to create, as we are created in His image. If we lacked the desire to create it's doubtful we could have survived, and it was decided that we would survive. Creating models for Trainz is only one tiny aspect of the over all compulsion to create, men and women create legacies, records, empires, children, machines, nations, every possible item that ever existed. Even those that do not admit to being creative are, and do. Some have corrupted the creation spark and set it on perverse and even criminal paths.Thanks Mike, nice read.

I'd have to agree with you Ed, but sometimes I believe that some people's only desire and ability to create is chaos. Then again, I've known a few that have absolutely no desire, nor ability, to create a bloody thing.

Even though I'm sure that the desire to create is strongly infused in each of us, not all of us has had the good fortune to be nurtured or taught to express it properly. I believe that chaos is the result of the desire to create, frustrated by the lack of positive direction, resulting in a creation of an unsettling nature.

And there you go creating again....creating masterpieces with words. Some of us have the gift of expressing ideas and thoughts and you are truely one of those Ed. Have you ever written a book or thought about it? If so, I would be most delighted in reading it.

Mike

Nah,... I tried once, but quickly found out that I lack the "due diligence" to stay with it long enough. Like relationships, I am better with quick, short attempts than long, steady application! Thanks though! I just have always enjoyed reading, and some of that was bound to "rub off"!

Nicely written Leeferr, and from the heart I guess. As for myself, I like to build things, whether it be software, some work around the house or garden, or in Trainz. I do it because it interests me and, in some small way, to acknowledge and complement those who have provided so much for me to use over my Trainz years.

It's not within my nature to criticise others' work. Plus, I suspect some of the cruder or amateurish work you see on the DLS might be early attempts by those who either lost interest, the time, or the perseverance required to build a good asset. Most of my amateurish attempts will never see the light of day on the DLS and I suspect that might be case for many others.

I am staggered by the volume of excellent assets produced by some creators. My only complaint is that they didn't leave much for the rest of us to do.;)

I can't believe it took me nearly a year to complete a simple steam loco. Those that criticise, obviously have never tried it. Those that have done it, offer help.

Well Ed, I think that you'd be great at it. I've written three books. One was rejected by numerous publishers and as a result never got published and the other two I had to publish myself on the internet with no great result. It is a very time consuming and heart wrenching experience.

Pcas, I appreciate the comments. Don't shortchange yourself on any of your content. Your skill set may be building things with your hands, which happens to be my real expertise also, but never let that keep you from creating for Trainz. Those that ridicule have no idea how difficult it can be and as a result are very often unappreciative of the effort. Sometimes, I go back and look at some of my early creations and cringe at how bad it really was, but it only induces me to improve. Someday, I'll probably look back at what I'm creating now and be amused at how amateurish that it is. That's the growing process though and all real creators out there will welcome your creations, whatever they are, as a celebration of the creative process.

Mike

Back