Level crossing kit from Finland; Thinking about to upgrade these for TANE standards

juhis

Hi, and welcome into my first blog post.

Many people won't probably know that I have made finnish level crossing pieces for Trainz, but as technology moves forward, we also need to upgrade objects and everything like that to the modern standards, and my level crossing kit already feels quite outdated when Trainz: A New Era comes around.

juhis_20110720_0000.jpg

Typical finnish level crossing with Tri-Aspect signal, L.M. Ericsson bells and half-gates.

There are several reasons why I want to upgrade these to the Trainz: A New Era standards:

1. Currently signals use coronas, and these don't bode well when TANE comes around, so they need to be upgraded by using meshes to create more realistic lighting effect than using coronas that turn on/off on an instant.

2. Basic scripting is implemented to the signals, which means white light flashes to indicate that there are no trains approaching, and then they flash red to indicate that train is approaching. Gates do also have basic scripting aswell, meaning user can adjust the delay until gates start to close, but it's limited to 7-13 seconds for sake of prototypical operation, but to my concern there's at least one level crossing that can take WHOPPING 45 seconds until gates start to close!

3. Basic scripting was also implemented onto the separate masts that had bell on the top that would ring when red lights flash, but since that was awkwardly implemented, I had to scrap it, and I had to use different method to supply the sounds for the bells by using hidden "bell boxes".

I would like to form a small team to assist me implementing these to Trainz: A New Era, since I'm quite a newbie when it comes to the scripting, and also, I pledged to the Senior Engineer -level, so closest month to try to implement these to TANE would be July, but at least it gives me time to prepare for the new era.

At the end of the day, I still want to hope that Finland receives some attention when Trainz: A New Era comes around, so thanks for reading my blog post and have a good day!

when are you going to release these to dls? i searched your profile under 'author', and you have not released the crossings yet, and i only see locomotives

Last edited:
Back