New spline fence and vegetation available for route builders.

TrainzDev

We have uploaded some new content which may be of interest for route builders. There is a barbed wire fence, a hedgerow, some spline grass, and some matching ground textures including clutter meshes. These assets are highly detailed, yet still efficient.

These should fill some gaps in content availability where the content creation community either has not produced modern format assets, or is having difficulty making assets that both run efficiently and look visually impressive.

There is also an example map available to show off their usage. These assets were made for us by Ocemy, and you can find them on the Download Station under his KUID here.

Nice. I used the DLC Comet as my consist and I was getting 175-200FPS on a top level computer with dual GTX460s.

Note I was running three monitors.

Ocemy has done a great job on these splines.

Being a super-critical tester I believe some fine tuning of LOD distance needs to be done on these examples. Some grass is popping up too late for my liking. And clutter mesh has been used but as you can see by my FPS results, not affecting performance to any great extent.

Nevertheless they are a welcome addition to our arsenal and will help introduce creators to new techniques. All the example splines are trainz-build 3.7.

On my miserable system the grass has bright reflectivity as I alter the time of day. I would like a more natural coloring and reflectivity. The popping up issue will happen depending upon placement. But this is progress.

My favorite is the hedgerow.

On the very first and quick view, they look very good.

But to be honest, is it so damn difficult to deliver a complete asset, description for example?

Mick!

I have used these asset and they are great ! For the fence barbed wire which looks great, I cloned it and change the ''mesh lenght'' from 5m to 3m which is more common here in Canada. So, Would it be possible for the Creator to upload a version with this value (3m) ? Or could I have the permission to upload my version with all credit to Ocemy ? Rail4Pete

Last edited:
In real life, a barbed wire fence would become almost invisible the further you moved away from it. In this example, splendid as it is close up, as you zoom out from it it becomes an unnatural dark line. Is this just a case of the lod requiring some tweaking?

wheelsonfire;bt2702 said:
In real life, a barbed wire fence would become almost invisible the further you moved away from it. In this example, splendid as it is close up, as you zoom out from it it becomes an unnatural dark line. Is this just a case of the lod requiring some tweaking?

That sounds like you are running with Anisotropic filtering disabled. Go into the "video" options in the in-game menu, and drag the 'Anisotropy' slider to the right. With this at a sensible value, the spline should behave as you would expect.

Anisotropic filtering made no difference, neither did swapping between DX and OpenGL. Please see screen shot of what I am describing - the distance in surveyor is just as the camera starts to pan into overhead view. Anisotropic filtering is fully to the right (1) and the barbed wire fence is furthest away from the camera. The view in Driver is the same.
barbed-wire-fence_zps5ce3ebbe.jpg

Last edited:
Hi James,

The revised version has been d/loaded and installed. I haven't bothered with a screenshot because it appears perfect. I have tested different levels of anisotropic filtering and it appeared good on each level so I've returned my level to 4. The fence almost disappears just as the camera pans into overhead view. Brilliant. Thanks a lot.

Neil

Back