Fixing wobbly and non-level HO rolling stock.... LARGE PHOTOS

butter

NorthWest Ohio Trainz2010
A problem faced by many in the model railroading hobby is, simply unlevel cars. I can certainly say I've had my share. Whether it be cars derailing at a certain bump in the track, or uncoupling between cars because of a change in track elevations. Either way it can be very VERY frustrating....

Not too long ago I decided I'd had enough. While I did no research on a fix, I've heard what it did is very common; but I figure I will show ya'll anyways. This did fix my problems 100% in elevation, but also fixed cars that rocked too much side to side. That being an added plus, the washers I used were a little on the thick side. I would go with something smaller, and possibly a metal to get smaller. A worry I had at the time of purchase though, was the friction between the trucks. I haven't had a problem yet.

I purchased all of my supplies from Menards in my local town, but you could probably get these, or something like them anywhere. The washers were crazy cheap, at something near 0.39$ per pair. I think it is a pretty fair trade.

As I said they are washers... Particularly 1/8 BY 5/16 Fibre Washers. They feel very sturdy and thick to the touch.

I removed the trucks, and set them a inch or so to the left as pictured.

Next I fit a washer over the screw hole as pictured. It fit on pretty snug which was fine.
If it hadn't I most likely would have just added some CA cement and let it be.

I replaced the truck on that side, and repeated the process on the opposite side of the car..

And onto the tracks it went! Not a problem since!

If there is something you'd like to see done, or done better contact me through here, or my email at Bellkyle @ Live.com

Back