Blog

RRSignal

Cheesesteak Guru
I'm a content creator with two routes in progress. First is my SEPTA R3 West Trenton/R8 Fox Chase/Newtown route. This is an electrified route that operates between West Trenton, NJ and Philadephia, PA. The line features an interesting mix of electric passenger action and heavy-duty diesel freight operations. My other route, MainStreet, which I work on from time to time just for kicks, is a fictional, suburban town, but it effectively incorporates two separate train sets, a diesel loop and a partially-underground tram route. Both routes rely almost exclusively on DLS content; the only non-DLS content I am using are some scripted signals. I've also created quite a few objects of my own for use on my routes, which are also on the DLS for others to enjoy in their projects.

Which brings me to a point about licensing. I'm really laid-back, and, unlike some, have no hang ups about how my content (or derivative works, meaning anything made from my content in any way shape or form) is used, even whether it's used in payware. My licensing is similar to open source except that I have one and only one rule: None of my content or derivative works may be used in projects or ported to other platforms that employ DRM, or Digital Rights Management. This includes product activation or other schemes that require interaction with the publisher, distributor, or some other third party in order to use the end product or software. I'm not aware of any DRMed products for Trainz aside from World Of Trainz' locomotives, but many other platforms and programs such as Railworks and FSX are considered DRMed and my content or derivative works would not be able to be ported to or used in any way in those platforms. MSTS, OpenRails, and OpenBVE, on the other hand, are not currently DRMed, so if you can figure out a way to export my stuff into those platforms, go right ahead. My program-of-choice is currently Blender and the source files are available from me as well as others. I do ask that you give me some credit if you use any of my stuff, even if only in a readme file, and, also, if you alter any of my meshes or textures, please just let other potential recipients know what changes you made. And, if you want to thank me for any of my content, donate some money to your local ASPCA or no-kill animal shelter.

Nice to see another content creator who licenses his stuff under a free license. :Y:

My content can be reused, redistributed, etc., under the sole condition that I am credited for the originals. Any portions of my content that were originally made by others may, of course, be licensed under different terms.

Regards,

Zachary.

Thanks, Zachary. See, it's not supposed to be a business or a headache...Trainz is supposed to be FUN!

For a freeware Content creator, this should be the way to go, as long as credit is given to the original creator

Jamie

Back