Embrace your inner blogger...

Euphod

No Friend requests please
Granted, this blog feature is new to Trainz and many members seem to be confused by it all. Some blogs here are nothing more than a question "what's this for?" To answer this metaphysical question, I can only reply "have you actually ever read a blog before?"

There are many of them out there on the interwebs; a lot of frustrated pseudo journalists that have something to say to the world. Have you read any?

Most bloggers pick a subject that they are familiar with, or passionate about and try to provide interesting information and relevant self written articles, along with "how to" instructions and links to related subject matter. From this I feel that if you do want to blog you should pick a subject and run with it. Obviously the subject here should be Trainz related, but you may be surprised to realize how many different subjects that can encompass. So, pick one after much thought before you hit that green button.

You will also want to give your blog some kind of distinct identity. You don't want your blog to fade in with the pack, you want it to stand out and be easily recognizable. Many of the "blogs" here are unnamed, unremarkable, and dare I guess... unread? Is this the fate you wish to suffer? I think not, so make an identity for your blog, it does represent you, after all, and don't let it languish as a one entry post under your username that just shows you don't know what you're doing, or why. I'm thinking Beavis and Butthead pushing buttons just to see what they do. Brilliant!

Your blog can be a great vehicle for showing works in progress, gaining feedback, or pondering the mysteries of Trainz out loud, so to speak. Your goal here is to inform and entertain, but it's also a wonderful way to express ideas and feelings that may not be appropriate in the forums. I suggest writing your blog should a serious undertaking aimed at your audience and designed to entertain. Not every post will be a winner, but neither should you just "throw away" the opportunity either by squandering the space with inane foolishness.

A blog here can be wonderful for sharing information with others on subjects ranging from fixing black textures in maps :)wave: Shane) to arranging, using and connecting roads and rail crossings, or the technical aspects of scripted signals and traffic lights. You can show your current work (although I prefer to leave that on the forum once it's been done and uploaded), or you can display what you are contemplating making and ask for help or ideas. A blog centered on a route would be superb as it's progress can be displayed UNINTERRUPTED by posts asking "what road is that? Where can I download that chicken?" and the like.

I imagine your blog can be a display of your anger, or a venue for supporting or denigrating a piece of software, creator or group. I wouldn't recommend it, but were you to be sly enough, and crafty enough, I imagine you could support or undermine anything in print. If you decide to take that road, I would caution you to beware!

Better yet to use the power of the written word to build up others, and celebrate the golden toasty goodness of Trainz. It's the reason we're here, and even with it's flaws, it's still the greatest Train simulator to come from Australia!;)

I purposely have not explored the technical aspects of setting up your blog, how to use the tools and so forth in this post. I will later, if there is any interest displayed. I'm hoping because the blogs are new and mysterious they aren't exactly over flowing with comments yet. It's hard to tell if many members read them at all, but I did want to provide some grains to chew over if you have already started a blog here, or are considering it.

Good luck to you if you fall into one of those categories, and as always, thanks for visiting The Deadliest Kvetch!:)

I like your new Deadliest Kvetch banner, Ed. LOL!

I've used the blog feature for a (work-in-progress that I need to get myself off the procrastination seat and finish) Screenshot of the Week archive, but as far as naming the blog, I'm not sure if I could come up with a good one. :eek: As for what I could blog, perhaps I could post a few tutorials or whatever.

Anyway, I see that you're using the blog feature well; keep it up! :)

Retro00064;bt127 said:
I like your new Deadliest Kvetch banner, Ed.

Thanks Zachary, I'm rather fond of it myself!
There must be a way to give your blog an identity (beside your name). Providing the archive of the SSOTW is a fine idea, but you don't want to have such a narrow focus, as you said, you may want to provide tutorials or other Trainz or rail related articles in the future, and I hope you will!
I would suggest a title that doesn't pin you down, something generic like "Retro's Right of Way", or similar, that's railroad related, Then you make a nice graphic or failing that, ask someone you may know (cough...cough) excuse me ;), add it to the description of your blog, use it as a linked signature on the forum, and get traffic moving!

I do appreciate that you read the article, and commented! Thank you much, and please stop by "TDK" again!

Hi Ed:

I might just have to adopt that "Retro's Right-of-Way" name for my blog in light of the fact that it might be hard for me to come up with something nice myself. I just might be able to figure out something for a banner, though. I'm thinking of something that's also road related, since roads are another interest of mine. "Right-of-way" is used for roads as well as railways, among other transportation types, so that fits that idea.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Regards,

Zachary.

Retro00064;bt471 said:
Hi Ed:

I might just have to adopt that "Retro's Right-of-Way" name for my blog in light of the fact that it might be hard for me to come up with something nice myself. I just might be able to figure out something for a banner, though. I'm thinking of something that's also road related, since roads are another interest of mine. "Right-of-way" is used for roads as well as railways, among other transportation types, so that fits that idea.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Regards,

Zachary.

You're welcome Zach, and best of luck to you if you decide to become a "Trainz Journalist"!

Back