When and when not to use the Blogs feature

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Normally, I do not do blog posts like this, but I've noticed an increase of blog posts that should be forum threads.

When to use a blog post

Blog posts are normally used for information related to that particular blog. For example, this blog is mainly to do with the technical (and sometimes operational) side of Trainz. If unsure, have a look at other blog posts (apart from blogs of users who are simply asking Trainz-related questions)

When to use a forum thread in the Forums section

A forum thread should be created in the following circumstances:
  • Trainz-related questions
  • Where game version information is needed (as the blog feature does not show a user's Trainz versions)
  • When it's a problem that requires verifying that a user has a valid serial number
So basically, if it's not something you would see in a blog, put it in the forums.

Shane

Thanks for your blog post, Shane. All too often these pages are being cluttered with What is.......?, and Where do I find ....? type posts.
I concur with your definition of 'Blog".

Thankyou for your comment - I'm hoping people read this before posting an unneeded blog entry, although genuine bloggers should not be affected by this.

Shane

SuperFudd;bt1290 said:
The whole concept of "blogs" escapes me. :eek:

The whole concept of social networking in whatever form it manifests itself and I presume 'blogs' are just one form of social networking, escapes me also!

Isn't it all about communication and does it really matter in what way it's handled?

robd;bt1312 said:
The whole concept of social networking in whatever form it manifests itself and I presume 'blogs' are just one form of social networking, escapes me also!

Isn't it all about communication and does it really matter in what way it's handled?

Blogs are not really designed for simply asking questions as mentioned in the blog post.

Shane

shaneturner12;bt1315 said:
I do not mean any offense with that comment, but I do personally feel that some people may not be able to differentiate between the blog and the forums.

Shane

No offense taken.

I am probably one of those people who can't differentiate between a a blog and a forum. As far as I'm concerned they're only methods of communication, albeit with different names. To me it doesn't really matter if someone asks a question in a blog post or wishes to expound their views on some subject, as we all know, there are many people who post on the forums and expound their views on totally unrelated subjects to Trainz, some in great detail, even to the point of tedium!

But does it all matter? My answer to that is... not really. Your answer may differ, it's a matter of opinion.

Rob.

I agree - my opinion is that it's better to have the blog page free from things that would do better on the forums (which I've given examples for)

Shane

Blogs are more akin to a book. It's designed to be more of a one-way communication (blogger writes, you read).
Forums are more akin to a party conversation. They're designed more to be for two-way communication.

In general things like questions are much better asked in the forum as it provides a better system for people converse back & forth.

Here on the Auran forums (and this is mainly for you old guys who don't seem to get out on the web that often). The forums is a much better place to pose questions as it's much more organized. If one is to ask a question about the DLS there is a place for that on the forums, whereas in the blog it's all jumbled together.

peter

Perhaps you could suggest to the webmaster that any page should have Prev & Next buttons both top and bottom. Just for us Old Guys who don't have a clue, you know.

Fabartus;bt2382 said:
Perhaps you could suggest to the webmaster that any page should have Prev & Next buttons both top and bottom. Just for us Old Guys who don't have a clue, you know.

I've a feeling that it a site limitation.

Shane

Back