Big Bertha - Cab Complete (I think)

pcas1986

Big Bertha' cab interior is finally complete - I think. Here is a screenshot taken from the cab part of the tender:

bb_cab_3aug.jpg

After many experiments I finally came up with a brass/bronze finish for the pipes that I liked. The various dials now work.

While investigating a scripting issue for Trainlover16 who wanted to see animated doors both from the interior and exterior view in various positions, I decided to implement that for BB as well. If you open, or even partially open a door, then when you switch to external view those doors will be in the correct position.

I've added a couple of plain wooden seats for the driver and fireman. Although the driver's seat is a bit awkward because of the reverser lever. The 7F, on which this is based, has a screw reverser which runs under the seat with the winding handle behind. If I ever get around to changing the reverser, the seat will have to become fixed. Currently it can be folded down out of the way which is the default position.

Just for fun I animated the locking lever on the reverser lever but it does not go to the locked position when in forward. The reverser is one of the levers that Trainz automatically positions on entering the cab so I'm not sure what the problem is. The locking lever works fine in Blender but not in Trainz. I did play with the animation sequence to try and fix it to no avail.

The spotlight switch is the wall mounted lever on the left (fireman's) side. There is a photo of Big Bertha in the June 2012 edition of Steam Days that clearly shows the spotlight wiring running along the right side (looking forward) of the of the boiler casing. Perhaps the switch was on the driver's side but since its a bit crowded there I decided to give it to the fireman.

Looking back at my progress it appears to have taken me two months to build the cab. I think I estimated a month!

Next up is the level of detail (LOD) reduction for the loco body, loco bogey, tender body and tender bogey.

That looks MEGA! Reminds me a lot of a German built 2-10-4 locomotive cab I saw in a Turkish Locomotive Museum, except it's not all rusted over.

matty266;bt1219 said:
when will bb be released and will it be free?

Yes, it will be free from the DLS and I haven't a date yet. The Level of Detail (LOD) is complete but I still have to get the spotlight working through the script. There is also a lot of cleaning up of the source files and verification required.

My intention is to send the package to Kieran since he asked for it in the first place and let him do an independent test first. That's probably a week away.

Back