Trainz Technical and Operational Tips and Tricks

New Utility: Trainz Protocol Changer - fix broken Download Helper links

Rate this Entry
I am pleased to announce another utility.

This one is called the Trainz Protocol Changer.

Are you finding that the wrong version of Content Manager is loading when you click a Download (Helper) link, or that your browser says it cannot find the program to open trainz:// links?

This tool can change the relevant registry information to point at the correct version.

Please be aware that as this tool can modify Registry information, some security software may get uptight about it.

The tool can be downloaded from here, and can be run from any folder that can be written to. In Windows Vista/7, the tool will automatically run as administrator, and will require permission to run.

The first time the tool runs, it will take several minutes to prepare, as it will search for your Trainz versions.

At this point in time, it supports TRS2006,Trainz Classics,TS2009,TS2010 and TS12.

Any questions? Leave a comment below.

Upcoming Updates

In the next update, I am planning to add support for modifying which Content Manager is loaded when double-clicking CDP,CDP2 and CMPA files.

Important Information

A fault has been corrected in the latest version that was preventing the program from doing it's job. Please re-download the tool if it has not been changing the reference correctly.

UPDATE - 25/06/2015

I have released a new edition of the tool - see http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...Second-Edition for details and a download link.

Updated June 25th, 2015 at 03:21 AM by shaneturner12

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Trainz Simulator 12

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Many thanks for reporting the fault to me. It has been identified and corrected, and the fixed version has been uploaded.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Be aware that the identification process will still take a while, as it is doing a deep scan of all folders it can access, but this only needs to be done if a new version of Trainz is installed, or moved, or if an existing Trainz installation is removed.

Shane
    Where does it save the version database? Because it is not able to find the previous database.
    Hi Scottbe8,

The version database is stored in a file called trainzversions.dat in the same folder as the application.

If it is not writing it, I will need to investigate further as it's working fine at my end.

Shane
    Alright, what is the format of trainzversions.dat? Perhaps I can create it manually.
    The format is quite simple. It contains lines containing the full path of each version of Trainz.exe for example C:/Program Files/N3V Games/TS12/Trainz.exe.

It does not include the version in the Bin folder.

Shane
    An update to this tool will be released later on today - I've now identified how the associations work for T:ANE.

Shane

EDIT: Due to an unexpected issue, I will hopefully be releasing it tomorrow.
    Updated May 7th, 2015 at 11:28 AM by shaneturner12
    I have released a new edition of the tool - see the Trainz Protocol Changer - Second Edition thread in General Trainz for details and a download link.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...Second-Edition

Shane
    Updated June 25th, 2015 at 03:20 AM by shaneturner12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12