From the beginning, I guess.................... ...............

n8phu

Purveyor of the Forgotten
I guess I should regress and give some more info...

For the longest time, I wanted some really big Alcos for Trainz. Monon monsters, Leigh Valley Snowbirds and Cornell Red beasts, Conrail bruised pairs..... I always felt that the lack of these engines may actually be hindering the progress of some routes due to their absence.

So, I decided that I was going to try and fill this gap.

Josheh and I talked a bit, and he mentioned he still had the Robe Alco files, and generously provided a copy to me to try and motivate a GMAX/3ds max newb into action.

I actually learned a few things messing around with those files, even tho nothing spectacular resulted from them.

Fast forward 6 months and I ended up injuring a thigh muscle and tore my miniscus in my knee.

So while I was home on short term disability and on pain meds, I had an idea.

I asked (Very nicely asked) one of the MSTS authors who is well known for his Alco models for permission to convert some of his Alco models into Trainz, citing the lack of most of the models in the Trainz program.

(EDIT: Not exactly easy, definitely not for novice modelers)

I figured that success was slim to none, but it was worth a shot.

Boy, was I wrong.

I received permission to convert all of his models.

Needless to say, I was stunned.

I listed what I had in a message titled "I stepped in some Schenectady", but that message has dis appeared, so here is the list as best I can recall:

C415
C420
C424
C425
C430
C628
C630
C630M
C636

HR412
HR616

M420
M420W
M424
M630
M636
M640

RS11
RS18
RS18u
RS27
RS32
RS36

RSC14

RSD4
RSD5
RSD7
RSD12
RSD15
RSD17

T6

There are a few GE units, also I will be giving a run at:

B30-7
B36-7
C30-7

As you can see with the Alco units, there is a lot there. I counted 197 different models. Hi nose, Low nose, special light packages.

Lots to do.

If there is a model that hasn't been done yet, well, I guess I have enough parts that I can make it.

Currently I am working on the 4 axle units. I cut my teeth on making bogeys on these units, and figured that most of the models use a 4 axle bogy... seemed like a natural beginning spot.

I am of the mind that I will get the base unit paint jobs done, IE original owners... Then I will release a blank and let the Trainz community take it from there..... So I would do a Erie Lackawanna C424, then the community could do Conrail patch, Conrail blue, Delaware and Hudson, Guilford, BCR, ETC.....

Later!

Back