Releasing my Content Early

RRSignal

Cheesesteak Guru
So, I decided to release an alpha of my West Trenton/Fox Chase/Newtown route. As pointed out in the freeware section, I'm doing this now simply because I don't want my stuff to disappear into the ether should, say, I lose interest in Trainz, or whatever. I'm not saying that I've lost interest at all, just that, well, you know how things are, and I don't want to be like so many other content creators who left the community and let anyone else pick up the torch.

So, here you are. They may be freely redistributed, subject to the DRM-free licensing provisions in my first blog post. Since Trainz isn't DRMed (at least not now), and I'm hoping no one will try to release any of my stuff as copy-protected payware or freeware, this probably doesn't apply to you, but keep these limitations in mind.

I suggest downloading this stuff if you think you may have an interest now or in the future, as Hotfile only keeps links for I think a short time.

https://hotfile.com/dl/153561520/b9e587c/r3-51.cdp.html

https://hotfile.com/dl/153562055/1cd4ba1/mymodels.rar.html

https://hotfile.com/dl/153562354/e5fd786/Oddball_RDG_Signal.cdp.html

Awesome! Still trying to figure out how to download and install stuff. But so excited these septa lines are getting so much attention lately. I grew up in Phila on the west trenton line, and have taken the r5 paoli line since the mid 90s. Can't wait to try it out"

Alright, so newbie question: what do I do with these once I download them? Looks like they'll open up on Content Manager? IS that the right/best place to start? I just bought a first class ticket so hopefully that will help? Also, once downloaded and installed do I just go to routes to try it out?

bmheron;bt773 said:
Alright, so newbie question: what do I do with these once I download them? Looks like they'll open up on Content Manager? IS that the right/best place to start? I just bought a first class ticket so hopefully that will help? Also, once downloaded and installed do I just go to routes to try it out?

None of these links are DLS links at the moment. I do intend to upload the finished product and all my content on the DLS when it's ready. The first and third links are to CDP files; the second link contains the Blender materials people would need to modify my meshes. If you don't plan on doing that, don't bother with the second link. Just import the CDPs from the Import CDP option in CMP's file menu.

FYI, I've done a lot of work since that release. Within the next week or so, I should have all the track, bridges, signals, crossings, etc. in place, at which point the bulk of the remaining work will be placing scenery, trees and ground textures.

Also, if you're going to make anything from my assets for Trainz, they need to be hosted on the DLS. They can, of course, be distributed elsewhere as well. Obviously, folks who use it for non-Trainz purposes don't have to worry about that (unless the DLS starts hosting MSTS or FS9 content...lol :))

Last edited:
Hi, I didn't see your blog until just this evening. Auran just approved my CP-TRENT interlocking tower! See <KUID2:135014:100030:1> You are welcome to use it on your route if you don't already have it modeled. I tried downloading your R3-51 route, but stopped it. Tried again and was stopped by some sort of hourly limit :( . I'll try later. I'm looking forward to seeing it. - Andrew

LMAO! Thanks. I finished Trent tower this weekend! I hadn't released it yet as I was planning to do an interior with model board. I like yours better though. Only catch is it's too dark - I suspect you have to turn the diffuse up (white probably, at or near 100%. Some say to use a pink diffuse but I don't know why.) Your textures are smaller but much better which is the hard part for me since my photo-editing skills are what's lacking. Here are pics of them side-by-side (I do have to edit that car out though.)

Are you planning on doing West Trenton station? I have the track 1 side almost done, but need to do the track 2 and the platform overhead...if you're planning on doing these, you'll probably do a better job than I would though I can show you what I've done so far.

As for the route, try this link for the latest, version 223:
https://www.cubby.com/pl/R3-223.cdp/_26b1d660877a4bae918ac8ca2552b5b4

https://www.cubby.com/pl/R3-Deps.cdp/_22de6eaf940b4eee8d224cc78f78d6bb

While not necessary for the route, here are my Blender/texture sources:
https://www.cubby.com/pl/models.rar/_d78c175c991e4af298ccd5482d9d84a7

Last edited:
Ha! Great minds think alike, eh? :) I'll have to experiment more with the diffuse and other texture settings. I kind of accept the defaults. I suppose I could brighten up the texture file too. Also, I took my pictures when it was cloudy to avoid shadows, thinking Trainz would add the correct shadows (although I've only seen them on the locos and rolling stock so far - none on scenery).

I haven't tackled the station itself yet, concentrating on more simple shapes, although I'd like to. I've got those "D.I.B." signs lined up to do... Yes, I'd like to see your version of the station. I'll try the new route link when I get home tonight - I'm at work now.

hey guys, I'm clueless here but have been following since I grew up by the R3 line. Anyway, I have no idea how to create content and probably never will, but I noticed your comment about photo-editing. I do have some skills in that area. I have photoshop and am pretty good at it. Now maybe the skill level you need is much higher, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Would love to help if I could.

Hi, bmheron! Creating content isn't that hard once you get the right tools and a little experience. Once I have a little more practice, I hope to put together a tutorial on creating content for Trainz. I'm thinking at this point, preparing the photo textures for the model are more work than creating the model itself! :D

SharkNose;bt1262 said:
Ha! Great minds think alike, eh? :) I'll have to experiment more with the diffuse and other texture settings. I kind of accept the defaults. I suppose I could brighten up the texture file too. Also, I took my pictures when it was cloudy to avoid shadows, thinking Trainz would add the correct shadows (although I've only seen them on the locos and rolling stock so far - none on scenery).

I haven't tackled the station itself yet, concentrating on more simple shapes, although I'd like to. I've got those "D.I.B." signs lined up to do... Yes, I'd like to see your version of the station. I'll try the new route link when I get home tonight - I'm at work now.

Haha, yes. :) I was going to do those signs too, but have at 'em. I'll post up pics of the station tonight.

bmheron;bt1263 said:
hey guys, I'm clueless here but have been following since I grew up by the R3 line. Anyway, I have no idea how to create content and probably never will, but I noticed your comment about photo-editing. I do have some skills in that area. I have photoshop and am pretty good at it. Now maybe the skill level you need is much higher, but just thought I'd throw that out there. Would love to help if I could.

Thanks, now I just may take you up on that! :)

RRSignal, I just looked at your R3-129 route. All I can say is, "Wow"! I've only created a small route following the TransDEM tutorial, so I really didn't know everything I was looking at in your route. You've got an impressive start there.

bmheron;bt1376 said:
Not sure if you already knew this but just found some great Silverliner IIIs in the freeware forum. tried them out on the NEC and they look great. looking forward to trying them on this route!

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?85447-Commuter-reskins-SEPTA-NJT-MN-NJDOT/page4

Thanks, yes, I've used them for personal use. drchoi21 has said in the past that he's going to put them on the DLS. I hope he does, since I can't develop any sessions unless he does (or unless I can get permission to reskin those Silverliners myself.)

bmheron;bt1376 said:
Not sure if you already knew this but just found some great Silverliner IIIs in the freeware forum. tried them out on the NEC and they look great. looking forward to trying them on this route!

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?85447-Commuter-reskins-SEPTA-NJT-MN-NJDOT/page4

You might be interested to know that I'm building up the Somerton area right now. I've built up the station and the surrounding apartment complex as well as some of the portion along the Trenton Line. I've uploaded a new version at the links above.

Back