Substance Painter and CNJ840 - Getting organised

pcas1986

Why be organised?

Most model makers will tell you that good organisation is essential for creating and managing your models. For a simple model you can probably get away with a single project folder but for complex assets such as traincars you need organisation such as a standard folder layout.

Modelers that use products such as 3DS Max and Maya will know that those products use a standard structure for your model including scenes and images. Blender doesn't do that and I suggest it is a weakness that can cause problems. I believe that Blender 2.80 may be moving towards some kind of project structure. However, you can always set up your own.

A Simple Project

For a simple Blender project I would suggest something like this as a template:

Code:
root project folder with a meaningful name 
   Models folder  
      Version 0 (i.e. first release version)
          Blend files. 
   Materials
      Version 0
          Images that have have been used in the construction of materials.  Images that have been baked, etc.
          I suggest storing Substance Painter project files in this folder.
   GameReady-export
          kuid:xxx:xxxxx
             All the data required for export to Trainz.  You will need to copy FBX files and textures from the relevant dev folders.
   Information
          All the information you collected to help you build your model.  Might include photos, lists of references, drawings, etc.

If you release updates then you simply add another version folder as you see fit. Keeping your project data like this makes it very easy to back up everything in one action. If you like to keep old versions of Blender files, as I do, then simply add an appropriately named folder in the models->version folder.

A Complex Project

For a project such as this I suggest something like the following. This is the project layout I intend using for this project.
Code:
CNJ 840 Project
   Loco Body
      Models folder  
            Blend files. 
      Materials
         Version 0
             Images that have have been used in the construction of materials.  Images that have been baked, etc.
             Substance Painter project files.
      GameReady-export
             kuid:186372:110113
                All the data required for export to Trainz.  You will need to copy FBX files and textures from the relevant dev folders.
      Information
             All the information you collected to help you build your model.  Might include photos, lists of references, drawings, etc.

Loco Cab
      Models folder  
            Blend files. 
      Materials
         Version 0
      GameReady-export
             kuid:186372:110114
      Information

Loco Bogie
      Models folder  
            Blend files. 
      Materials
         Version 0
      GameReady-export
             kuid:186372:110112
      Information

A Final Word

This might look, and sound, a bit pedantic, but if you use a standard structure, even if some of the folders are empty, then you will always know where your files are located.

(Next - getting started with Substance Painter)

For all. If you are wondering why I am waffling on about project structures etc, it's because I've been burned by this before and, while I was watching some Maya LT videos, the author recommended a structure like this for projects. It seemed like a good idea.

My CNJ840 project files are a bit of a mess as I have stopped and started this project several times. I also have trouble remembering what I was last doing so I may include progress notes in my model sections.

My intention is to take a snapshot of what I have and then move the "bare bones" models, i.e. without textures, into this structure. At the end of the project I'll review the structure and let you know if it worked. :)

Back