Computer Crash and Burn

RHKluckhohn

15 January 2018

Saturday the 13th, for sure. Testing different mice with the "Schedule Rule" to see if mouse driver was the issue. Switch mouse and cold boot, "Windows Cannot find Boot Device." The repair shop says Thursday at the earliest for diagnosis. Then we'll find out how much of the last week's work has been lost.

:confused:

Turns out (a) the video card was bad and (b) Windows 10 committed suicide. "Installation Device Not Found." The shop reinstalled Windows and I lost all applications and their data in the Programs folders. So that week's work is gone, but I remember what it was and can re-do it. Happily both my 2009 and 2010 installations were on the root drive and are not affected.

I have since been able to copy my 2012 and T:ANE folders from my laptop to the old desktop and was able to re-install DX9c, and everything is working. I have not tried to find a video card for this Dell and am running with the on-board Intel graphics. It is not too bad -- 2009 looks just like it did. 2012 looks a lot like 2009. Frame rates are adequate and both run pretty smoothly.

I'm having a new desktop built around an nVidia 1050ti and an Intel Core I-7 processor which will be done hopefully this coming week. Then I get to rebuild the installation on it. Joy.

Ten days later, one of my church's Dells with Windows 10 did exactly the same thing. Fortunately it had nowhere near the software load, so reconstruction has been much quicker.

:B~\

20 February 2018

The new system is up and running Trainz. Been playing with T:ANE as a test of the package. The last week's work is still lost, such as it was but in the interim N3V has repaired their base 54ft covered hopper that so many have used in their creations, which makes moving FDL to T:ANE far easier.

If anyone but me cares, the new PC is a Windows 10 Home with an nVidia 1050ti 1-Gb video card, Intel Core I-7 processor and 8 Gb RAM with a 1-Tb conventional hard drive. T:ANE runs very well on it with maximum settings.

:B~)

Back