Step Van Delivery Trucks; Removing Night Mode

Euphod

No Friend requests please
It occurs to me that some users may wish to have some of the delivery step vans that I have reskinned from Dave Snow's original FexEx ground Delivery Step Van as non-night mode objects.
Why is that? Well, I can easily picture an industry on your line that may have a fleet of such vans parked overnight waiting to make their rounds in the morning. Perhaps you've made a Wonder Bread Bakery, or you have a Fed Ex terminal on your map. Trust me; the vans don't idle with the lights on all night outside the loading docks!

Now, a word or two about our favorite creator, Mr. Dave Snow. Know you all that I have the highest respect for his talent, and his heart to share his creations with all of us. I want you to doubly realize that I respect him even more because he allows his creations to be reskinned, effectively blessing us with an untold number of content options for our routes. I should know! I must say that I do chuckle at his decisions concerning night mode, however! I have read that he doesn't care to include night mode on his models, and in the early days of my reskinning of his excellent models I used that to my advantage! Soon he became wise to the desire of the community for the feature, and has produced models accordingly. Imagine my surprise when he released his FedEx van with night mode! Not that it's not a useful feature for the vans, but I immediately saw the "drawback" in certain situations.

Dave, I love you man! Not in the cell mates in prison kind of way, but in the enormous respect and gratitude kind of way!:wave:

Anyway, now that's over; so follow these steps to "un night mode" your favorite delivery step van:

1) Clone your van.
2) Open your van for edit in explorer.
3) Copy the folder for the van from the editing window and paste it on your desktop.
4) Open the config file of the van on your desktop.
5) Remove the following from the config file:

night
{
mesh "house_night/trucknight.IM"
night-mesh-base "default"
}

and

nightmode "lamp"

6) Rename the "username" entry to something like "hostess delivery step van no night mode"
7) Remove the house night folder from the main folder.
8) In CM, revert the original model still open for edit.
9) Import your non night mode model into CM, and commit if needed.

Now you'll have the original intact for use where needed, and a non night mode version as well for use when the lights aren't desired.

It's easier for you to do this as needed, rather than me making two versions of every truck!

Please post any questions you may have, and thanks for reading "The Deadliest Kvetch"!:)

In some Trainz builds there are also nightmode options "car" and "none". I've not tried them but might be simpler to just change the nightmode value.

AZRandM;bt531 said:
I can use this, Thank you.

Thanks for responding! I'm glad I was not wrong in suspecting that the nightmode would not be desired for some uses!

ianwoodmore;bt533 said:
In some Trainz builds there are also nightmode options "car" and "none". I've not tried them but might be simpler to just change the nightmode value.

Interesting. What asset category does this apply to? Vehicle?
Thanks for commenting.

Euphod;bt539 said:
Interesting. What asset category does this apply to? Vehicle?
Thanks for commenting.

'none' allows you to have night mode, but never turn it on. It's been around for a long time.

'car' was introduced in classics. The intention of 'car' was to have nightmode available when the vehicle is driving on the road, but disabled when parked.

This is now unnecessary, as driving vehicles now need to be a different kind (trackside), so a scenery version of a vehicle can be assumed to be parked, and have the night mode either removed completely or set to 'none'.

Hey, speaking of night mode, i cant get any of my sessions to change to night. i know how to do it in surveyor, but it wont stay that way when i go into driver (yes ive saved). very wierd, idk if its just the one route having the problem or if its the game.

lolza im a noob to this game... i can tell you whatever you need about minecraft, but NOT trainz:eek:. P.S. i have trainz mac edition.

ajstew22;bt545 said:
Hey, speaking of night mode, i cant get any of my sessions to change to night.

Each session sets it's own start time. Go 'edit session' on the main menu, and find either the 'startup options' rule or the 'quickdrive' rule. The session start time is be specified in there.

I would suggest switching the nightmode from "lamp" to "home".

home - switches on night effect at dusk and off sometime during the night
lamp - switches the night effect on from dusk to dawn
constant - lights are on day and night

Back