N Scale Super Elevation

butter

NorthWest Ohio Trainz2010
Today marks as my first actual posting to this blog. I do not think I will normally be posting so soon between each post but this one came up today as a quick and easy experiment project. Here is what I have been currently playing around with. "Super Elevation". Super Elevating is the act of raising the outside rail of a railway line to create a bank for the train allowing for higher speeds through curves and allowing for less track wearing. When it comes to modeling this is not particularly important because even at full speed with the correct radius, a model will not derail. Super elevating can be done though, to increase realism. In this blog post today I will show you how I did my SuperElevation and how to do it yourself with out purchasing anything costly.

First I removed all of the rail nails from the track, but there is a good chance your layout is glued. In which case you could pull the cork, or bed off with a flat head screw driver.

Next you will need to take a toilet paper roll, minus the paper of course:). We need just the cardboard for this. Once you have the card board cut it like shown.
cardboardpiece.jpg

theyseemerollen

Next cut the card board into small strips like this.
cardboardstrips.jpg

theyseemerollen

Now take these strips and put a few drops of Elmer's all purpose glue on it and press the pieces together. Wipe the excess glue away with a finger or other device, and let it dry for about 10 minutes.
gluedcard.jpg

theyseemerollen

This is the point where the elevators come in. Cut the strips into thirds, or fourths depending on the sharpness of your curves. It doesn't make a huge difference regardless, as I used both mixing them together.

Now it the hardest part, Place your elevators under your outer rail, they can be near or about .5 inches apart, I did Both.

The last thing to do is to replace your nails or re-glue your track. Once you have this done it is time to test!

Just a note, If you place your elevators near a rail joint it may cause the tracks to become uneven. I solved this with a staple gun, and put a staple near the elevator forcing it down and realigning the track.

Here are a few videos of the project...
*Please Note- I was not trying to be professional in these videos as I was just getting to know my new tripod, and do not normally take videos of models, which are much quieter than the real thing, and in an enclosed space, you can hear EVERYTHING* Enjoy:)

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3 Super Elevation

Video 4 Super Elevation - 2

Video 5 Super Elevation Both Tracks

Here is a link to my Youtube Channel-Please check out my other videos!

Please Subscribe to this Blog and My Youtube Channel. Also feel free to email me @ Bellkyle@live.com with any suggestions on questions to answer or how to improve. Thanks for reading!
Until Next time... - Kyle

Back