My Disappointment with the Community

JIb228

Multiplayer Guru
This is not directed at any one in particular, and by no means everyone.

But it seams that over the past few years ether I have gotten much, much, wiser. Or the community has gotten dumber.

First case and point. A while ago someone posted an image of the NKP DLC pack. They used this URL http://www.simulatorcentral.com/med...8d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/c/ocemy_20130713_0024.jpg in an image tag. They asked "What is this and has it been made for Trainz and where can I get it." I read that URL and noticed how it points to the Trainz store page for that set. Ether they are pants on head retarded or bad at trolling.

Another thing that has bugged the Hell out of me. But it seems that the routes section is getting flooded with crap. At one time there were lots of quality routes being uploaded. Many where representations of real routes, or fictional. But they all had believable construction and would pass as good. And I understand people working with limited resources. Such as whats available for download and what the game or their computer can handle.
But now so much crap shows up. "roller coaster extreme steam 5000" or "crash smash route" or "bobvilllll." All just dumb wastes of time. And I feel are a bad representation of the Trainz community skill's. I often make the argument with people that Trainz is one of the best rounded sims out there. And the best, strongest, point of Trainz is the DLS. With its thousands of assets, trains, routes, scenery, all for free. And I think it reflects badly on the people who are making quality content to see crap show up.

Side note, I set this as a draft all most a year ago. LoL

But really, what I started to say still reflects what I feel today about Trainz. And there are many augments here and a see many things in all the communities I am part of. Here is Trainz, we see the DLS which everyone has access to get a good mix of content. Some garbage, some ok, and some great. But all FREE.

In Railworks, the content is all fairly good, I've seen better. But 99% of it is payware, or requires payware. (Example, I downloaded some nice MRL SD40's. I needed the cab specifically from the BN SD40's even though it is the same in game model as the on on the UP SD40's. Which I own the UP ones, not the BN ones.)

And then Run8. Now I cant peak for the DEV's of Run8. But it is my understanding that they want to maintain control over content. This way not only do they continue to make money, but can maintain their level of quality control. This ensures that junk like we get on the DLS dose not flood their sim.

(NOTE: The above is not meant as an argument of which sim is better. Simply my observations.)

So as I see it, there are limited options and none of them are a truly win for everyone. Ether you open up your sim to all things like Trainz, but risk getting junk. Limit you sim to mostly payware, but end up shutting out a lot of your player base who dont want to spend $40 on one locomotive. Or close it off entirely, but limit what the players can do, and have all to maintain YOUR standards.

I don't know man.....but this is one of the many things that keeps me up at night.

I rarely read the blogs but this caught my eye. Generally good points, especially the issue with the route quality. N3V really needs to understand that they have a brand in the DLS, and crap routes are ruining that brand.

RRSignal;bt4653 said:
I rarely read the blogs but this caught my eye. Generally good points, especially the issue with the route quality. N3V really needs to understand that they have a brand in the DLS, and crap routes are ruining that brand.

But that's not really something that they can control. I mean, they could. But it wouldn't be fair. What they could do is implement someaort of user review system. Like a route, give it 5 stars. Then the DLS could be sorted by rating.

Also what really needs to happen. All these people making crap routes need to learn how to do better routes. Then upload the good ones. Not these junk ones.

JIb228;bt4654 said:
But that's not really something that they can control. I mean, they could. But it wouldn't be fair. What they could do is implement someaort of user review system. Like a route, give it 5 stars. Then the DLS could be sorted by rating.

Also what really needs to happen. All these people making crap routes need to learn how to do better routes. Then upload the good ones. Not these junk ones.

There is one technicality that can affect the latter part of your statement and that involves mobile versions of Trainz. They don't have the ability to share with another user apart from via the Download Station.

Shane

To this day you can see current Tane screenshots using content from the very first Trainz. Yes, the have been updated but they look like crap. Very few people seem to be creating new content and even less are posting their content on the DLStation. I believe this is due to N3V shunning many content creators and only listening to the people that have paid to play. I hope N3V figures out a better system, but until then I'm just watching and waiting in the wings.
For Railworks, I agree totally. I'm starting a to bring in quality content as freeware, though it is taking some time to learn process of content creation... Not everybody wants to share that kind of information as it might diminish their profits.

Last edited:
shaneturner12;bt4655 said:
There is one technicality that can affect the latter part of your statement and that involves mobile versions of Trainz. They don't have the ability to share with another user apart from via the Download Station.

Shane

Right. It would be nice if we could filter out routes built on mobile. Like a check box that says "Hide Mobile Built Content."

But then there are still the people on PC and *shudders* MAC that make just junk routes/sessions.

It's most annoying when I'm on the DLS, and no thumbnail image of the asset is provided. Gotta love it when you're hoping the textures for the object are going to look decent (not expecting ultra-realistic masterpiece, just reasonably attractive), and it turns out they just used solid colors on it (zero effort or care given).

Sorry if I'm just whining about it, but I think it relates greatly to what you said about the content creators.

Darth_Burger;bt4658 said:
It's most annoying when I'm on the DLS, and no thumbnail image of the asset is provided. Gotta love it when you're hoping the textures for the object are going to look decent (not expecting ultra-realistic masterpiece, just reasonably attractive), and it turns out they just used solid colors on it (zero effort or care given).

Sorry if I'm just whining about it, but I think it relates greatly to what you said about the content creators.

Exatly one of the many things I am getting at. So some way to review assets would be nice. Just a simple like or dislike would all it would take. The we could sort by popularity if we wanted to.

There's one small risk with that approach. A content creator could get their friends to upvote/like their content even if it's not very good. Likewise, they could get them to do the opposite to another creator's content.

Shane

shaneturner12;bt4660 said:
There's one small risk with that approach. A content creator could get their friends to upvote/like their content even if it's not very good. Likewise, they could get them to do the opposite to another creator's content.

Shane

Some what true. While people could game the system like that. If it was used by enough people then that could off set any cheating. Also a stipulation could be put into the voting system that you had to have downloaded the asset.

But these are just ideas.

They sound reasonable ideas to me although as you say it would need quite a few users to use it (and the stipulation you mention) to reduce the chance of issues.

Shane

@Shaneturner,
I find it unlikely that people would ever go through the bother of finding a way to falsify up voting, as long as there was no material incentive to do so.

@Jib
I agree with much of what you say, and many of the supplied comments since the original post. Don't have a solution of my own, other then to say that a "rating system" has been suggested numerous times previously and N3V has never really responded to the idea that I've seen. I'm sure it would be a headache for them, though I agree such a system is a great idea.

-Falcus

Falcus;bt4663 said:
@Shaneturner,
I find it unlikely that people would ever go through the bother of finding a way to falsify up voting, as long as there was no material incentive to do so.
-Falcus

You'd be surprised. Fake internet points mean a lot to some people.

Did someone say CRAP!
70b53cb1d06845528a38f90b79da7ff8.jpg

Back