Building a Big Bertha 0-10-0 - Introduction

pcas1986

While looking around for something to build I was asked to build a Midland Railways (MR) 0-10-0 locomotive nicknamed Big Bertha. This locomotive was built in 1919 to assist trains climbing the Lickey Incline between Bromsgrove and Birmingham. Apart from a number of trials after its build, Big Bertha spent all of its life as a "Lickey Banker" until it was scrapped in 1956. More information on the locomotive and the Lickey Incline can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MR_0-10-0_Lickey_Banker and http://www.lickeyincline.co.uk/lickey-incline/lickey-incline-locomotives.htm.

Big Bertha had three numbers during its lifetime: 2290 (MR), 22290 (LMS) and 58100 (BR).

What is not clear to me is the colouring scheme used during its lifetime. I assume that during the BR period it was probably painted black. The LMS locos generally seem to be painted a dark reddish brown (crimson lake name?) with gold/yellow striping. None of the black and white photos I have of Big Bertha appear to have that detail. I'm also not sure of the Midland Railway colours. I'd appreciate help with these colours. It would be a shame to paint the model in black only.

(Edit: The intention is to "paint" the model in LMS and BR livery (both black).)

I will be building Bertha with the following tools:
  • 3D Modelling - Blender (latest version - currently V2.62)
  • Textures - Paint Shop Pro (X4) and others
  • General Tools - PEV's collection of Trainz utilities
My intention during the build is to show detail at different stages. Currently my build plan is:

Traincar (loco main)
  • Set up Blender with scaled background images.
  • Build main body including boiler, cab exterior and detail (pipes, funnel, etc)
  • Texture the main body.
  • Build Chassis, external pistons and wheels
  • Animation (Walschaerts valve gear, wheels and driveline)
  • Texture the chassis.
  • Build cab interior (I have no idea of the actual layout so I will use a general large BR steam cab layout)
  • Build cab animated controls
  • Texture the cab interior
  • Build the shadow meshes for the main body and chassis
Tender
  • Build the tender body
  • Texture the tender body
  • Build the tender chassis
  • Texture the chassis body
LOD
  • Rebuild the high poly traincar main body into medium, low and lowest poly versions
  • Rebuild the high poly traincar chassis into medium, low and lowest poly versions
  • Rebuild the high poly tender body into medium, low, and lowest poly versions
  • Rebuild the high poly tender chassis into medium, low, and lowest poly versions
Trainz Configuration
  • Add sound files, engine spec, etc
As you can see, this is quite a lot of work and will take some time - probably months. However, I have the background images set up in Blender for the locomotive body in side, front and top views. Here is a "Quad View" in Blender.

BB_Blender_Image_Quad_View.jpg

The background images still require some validation but, as a rough check, I created a simple cube matching the overall dimensions and created a simple orange scenery object in Trainz. The object was overlayed on top of a Duchess loco and it appears that the dimensions are correct. i.e. the background image dimensions in Blender are correct. It seems that the Duchess loco is a tad longer than Big Bertha.

Orange_Traincar_in_Surveyor.jpg

My next major post in this series will be on completion of the traincar body.

Hi,

Only passenger locos were painted in bright colours. Freight locos were almost always black. For example the 4F, 3F and the 9Fs, except Evening Star. Therefore, I think Big Bertha would need to be just black, I'm afraid. At least the buffer beams will be red, and the numbers logos all be other colours. :)

Maybe June 4th for release? ;)

Kieran.

Last edited:
captainkman;bt367 said:
Hi,

Only passenger locos were painted in bright colours. Freight locos were almost always black. For example the 4F, 3F and the 9Fs, except Evening Star. Therefore, I think Big Bertha would need to be just black, I'm afraid. At least the buffer beams will be red, and the numbers logos all be other colours. :)

Maybe June 4th for release? ;)

Kieran.

Surely you don't think because he made an orange BLOCK to test for overall size, he intends to keep the engine orange, do you? Could your statement BE anymore patronizing? And then to suggest a release date? I'm going to have assume you and he have some type of under the table friendship, and you are just poking him in the ribs, otherwise I can't reconcile this post with your character.

Euphod said:
Surely you don't think because he made an orange BLOCK to test for overall size, he intends to keep the engine orange, do you? Could your statement BE anymore patronizing? And then to suggest a release date? I'm going to have assume you and he have some type of under the table friendship, and you are just poking him in the ribs, otherwise I can't reconcile this post with your character.
Hi,

Yes, I am poking him in the ribs. (Hopefully not too hard)

pcas1986 said:
What is not clear to me is the colouring scheme used during its lifetime. I assume that during the BR period it was probably painted black. The LMS locos generally seem to be painted a dark reddish brown (crimson lake name?) with gold/yellow striping. None of the black and white photos I have of Big Bertha appear to have that detail. I'm also not sure of the Midland Railway colours. I'd appreciate help with these colours. It would be a shame to paint the model in black only.

I was not talking about the box, I was talking about the above statement. I was calling all colours but black "bright colours", i.e. the proposed (hoped might be a better word) red scheme, versus the only logical colour of LMS/BR black.

And the release date was just a joke. Check the calendar. ;)

Here in Australia, it's just considered being friendly (or it is as far as I know), and I did not intend to hurt anyone.

I hope this clears thigs up, Ed.

Euphod said:
...I can't reconcile this post with your character.

And I don't quite understand the above statement.

Kieran.

Last edited:
If you were seriously blowing him grief, then I couldn't reconcile your words with your character, in other words, it didn't seem like you. I understand now, thanks for clearing that up. I apologize for the confusion.

Euphod;bt384 said:
If you were seriously blowing him grief, then I couldn't reconcile your words with your character, in other words, it didn't seem like you. I understand now, thanks for clearing that up. I apologize for the confusion.
That's ok Ed. And it doesn't seem like you to judge anyway.

Well, back to this wonderful creation! (Even if she is a giant orange box at the moment :hehe:)

The bright orange block was only ever a confidence builder because I sometimes don't trust my arithmetic.:wave: Why orange? Because I was using Blenders colour wheel and I wanted something bright. The block has a notex materiel. I was a bit concerned about the length of the loco given that the Duchess was a lot longer. However, I was unable to find the correct length for a Duchess except for a length that probably included the tender.

I'll make it in the BR black but, because I can and I like the colour, I will also make it in the LMS crimson colour.

June 4, despite being a worthy date, might be a bit ambitious given that I have other stuff to do like rebuilding my back yard before winter gets here. Making these things really does take a lot of time.

Ok. Can you make a LMS black and BR black with the Crimson one? Maybe don't release the Crimson one? I certainly wouldn't keep it on my computer, no offence.

Then again I'll probably reskin it lime green and put Captainkman on the tender with the number Over 9000. :hehe:

And I don't care about the release date, as long as it gets released!

Last edited:
That was the general plan. If I make a crimson one then I would certainly put it up on the DLS with a caveat. Whether anyone uses it or not is their choice. I noticed in amongst the photos I found of Big Bertha that it was running around with a BR number on the loco but with LMS painted on its tender. I was debating whether to create it that way and see if anyone complained. :hehe:

For me, the journey is the fun part. I don't always use my own creations.

captainkman;bt385 said:
That's ok Ed. And it doesn't seem like you to judge anyway.

....and you would be wrong! I'm as judgemental as anyone, I just try not to jump to conclusions as often as I used to!:D

Euphod;bt396 said:
....and you would be wrong! I'm as judgemental as anyone, I just try not to jump to conclusions as often as I used to!:D
Wow! That comes as a very large suprise!

Let's reserve some space for updates now, we'll be on the second page before any at this rate!

Paul, would it help if I posted some pics of the texturing on the MSTS Bertha?

captainkman;bt400 said:

Paul, would it help if I posted some pics of the texturing on the MSTS Bertha?

Yes, of course. Number fonts, company logos, etc. I have a whole bunch of BB photos that I flick through continuously trying to understand how it was built. The one I don't have is a full side on shot. I just checked and I have 12 photos although two look the same. Plus there is the video that has some nice detail.

Right now I'm having a few problems getting the top and front background drawings to line up with the parts I have already created in the side view. In the event of a problem I'll make the side view the master.

Back