Visiting once more, but probably away again

btrs

Inactive
Not having visited the forum for some 2 years, when I decided to ditch Trainz completely due to it's severe shortcomings, I thought of visiting again to see if something changed.

But no, fortunately I was right in my decision. Still those maps with huge DLS dependancies, increasing usage of payware content (à la TS2014), ridiculous difficult route building with all those invisible assets, and so on and on and on. Most topics are US or Russian dominated, with little news on the European content front.

Germany and France (my neighbouring countries) are also not doing well, with very few releases. But also the most talented builders have parted ways with the community. Those who are left are spending way too less time on finishing their projects stalled for years (did I mention topae ?).

No, I'm completely relieved I didn't miss anything here. The only reason Trainz might be useful is because now new models are built for TANE, and the old models can now be recycled for usage in the lower-spec engine of Open Rails (which I'm a very hard supporter of !). There's still the problem of convincing the builders, but since model conversions also occurred in the other direction (MSTS -> Trainz), I think now it's time the Trainz community gives something back to the ORTS community.

Ciao and hopefully not seeing you soon again !

In terms of huge DLS dependencies, this is a side effect of the detail put into content - the higher the detail, the bigger the content size.

In terms of payware, that is a decision made by the creators in question.

As for invisible assets, this can depend on quite a few things. If you give examples, perhaps someone can help identify why this is the case.

In terms of European content there is still quite a bit around (and being created).

If you want to discuss things further with the community though, you could do with creating a forum post instead of a blog post.

Shane

Shane, you're not really helping anyone here. It's a blog. A blog post made by someone who apparently doesn't know how to post to a forum. Anyone who isn't savvy enough to differentiate between a blog and a forum post probably isn't savvy enough to be playing a train sim. Besides, it was a snarky post.

I would agree with 'apparently' RRSignal - the user also has 40 forum posts so has posted on the forums at least 40 times (whether that's on the actual forums or on the Articles page is irrelevant). In terms of the snarky nature, I'm trying to put an end to that.

Shane

I found the "blog" to be quite ok since he was expressing a normal human emotion (frustration) over his perceived lack of some things. He has every right to be expressive without being abusive. Trying to silence all emotion will end up with only suggested canned messages being allowed. Snarky is perceived by the reader. Their emotions of the day help decide what is "snarky".

Back