• New video - Parallax (Height- mapped) Ground Textures

This week we bring you more examples of height mapping on a range of ground textures. In case you missed our earlier videos, this parallax effect is a distant relative of normal mapping, where the texture includes an additional height channel in addition to the usual XYZ normal information.

The height information is used to perform simple ray-tracing on the GPU, resulting in some ultra-realistic visuals. To be entirely honest, the technique does have its limitations - you can't simply add it to every asset and expect it to benefit everything equally - but used correctly for example on our terrain system, it can add a lot to the scene.

For more information on future Trainz development be sure to keep up-to-date at http://www.trainzportal.com.

All content creators wanting to start to look into the technique will find some initial information on the http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki soon.
    Comments 20 Comments
      pflindley -
      Dear Tony,

A very impressive development.

Peter.
      kin3 -
      Been waiting a long time for this. Layouts will just pop with this.
      ClintClassic -
      WOW!!! Plowed fields... that actually look plowed! Mud... after the rains! Quit impressive Tony!!!
      ARhian7 -
      Oh my goodness, that is very cool!
      dundun92 -
      that is sooooooocool!
      pdkoester -
      I wonder how much MORE does the recommended hardware slow down? That has to be using more resources.
      dundun92 -
      Quote Originally Posted by pdkoester View Post
      I wonder how much MORE does the recommended hardware slow down? That has to be using more resources.
      That wont work on my computer....
      Vern -
      All this expose of the graphics capability is well and good but... can we bear in mind this is first and foremost a train and railway simulation. It would be good to hear how N3V and the team are planning to address that aspect, in particular where the product lacks behind its competitors. If I had a choice between fuzzy grass or an accurate simulation of vacuum or stepped braking I would take the latter, along with proper built in despatching/signalman, path finding etc. for the player train along with a timetable mode. Not saying we need Run 8 level of physics or the Zusi level of timetable and signalling logic but something between that and where the product is at the moment would be nice.

Along with fixing the issues in TANE which SP2 HF1 seems to have broken, if that is the base on which the new product is being built...
      java23 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
      [...]can we bear in mind this is first and foremost a train and railway simulation[...]
      I'm in total agreement with Vern !
      And let's not forget a real catenary system with pants following catenary's height, and improved electric locomotives sounds ...
      Cheers,
      Philippe
      gds -
      And improvements (fixes) in the procedural track- crossings and slips, complex junctions etc. Currently I have chunks of track with the sleepers missing.
      RailFan500CA -
      This is very impressive. I think they will get to more accurate simulation soon. Also this will just put Trainz over the top. Keep up the good work. Also I think if a computer had the recommended specs for Trainz 2010 then A computer like that might just maybe run it? I hope it could. Because from the looks of it,I would like it as one of the next.
      trainzrule2 -
      The German glaeserner Zug is coming for Trainz!
      Yay
      philskene -
      I am impressed. VERY impressed. By this and all the previous videos in this series.
      Zeldaboy14 -
      Dear n3v:
      SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
      seriously, you guys have outdone yourselves once again. Nvidia really has payed off teaming with you. This is why I support Nvidia and not AMD!
      davesnow -
      That plowed field looks so real I swear I can smell the dirt!
      MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS -
      This looks fantastic! I was blown away at the interior of that rail bus from the last video and this just looks fantastic! I had no idea that you (N3V) had teamed up with Nividia, that was probably THE best decision ever! It is great to see improvement to the environment of the game. Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see what the rolling stock and locos will look like, sound like, move like and so on in the game!
      ajrf -
      WOW! Just amazing. I hope that this don't surpass my computer resources
      Mick_Berg -
      The only thing I would give up Parallax (Height- mapped) Ground Textures

for is an AI that worked.

Mick
      bolea -
      I do hope that Trainz 2018 gets a very big push and these videos is exactly what it looks like, but there are a lot of idling users like me that we're still hoping for a change in the simulation part (when I left Trainz, trains in curves behaved horrible with some other minor things) and in the sound system, electric trains do still sound horrible, they sound as if they were configured as diesel engines, same goes for steam engines. If this gets improved, I'm really willing to buy the new TRS.

Have a wonderful new year 2018!
      janga213 -
      Can you help me with my issue with downloading because all i am getting is my trainz account not authorised?
  • Useful Links

• Recent General Trainz Posts

JCitron

routes on the DLS

Mobile routes, Ray.

The mobile devices have little or no storage and the users upload their routes to the DLS for storage.

It

JCitron Today, 09:19 AM Go to last post
    ray_whiley

False Routes

In my early days with Trainz some twelve years ago, I used to find great pleasure in looking at the Download Station to see what fellow enthusiasts had

ray_whiley Today, 08:27 AM Go to last post
    tdstead

Small Diesel Switchers

Dont know if your stll looking or not but where these mentioned
    50tonner and 50tonner slug in Bethlem Steel livery (static cab)
    Whitcomb 50

tdstead Today, 12:51 AM Go to last post
    Pug

downloads

Hope you are enjoying your new routes!

Pug Today, 12:33 AM Go to last post
    Forester1

Let's talk trees

Thanks for the tip SailorDan. Looks like better avoided for now. Too much work to figure out what will work with what....

Forester1 Yesterday, 09:49 PM Go to last post
    SailorDan

Let's talk trees

If you delete the latest version of the library and download (use 'Download this version...') to replace it then the assets will work. The assets you

SailorDan Yesterday, 09:42 PM Go to last post
  • Recent Screenshots Posts

Epoche3bis4

Screenshots of European Trains

@Piere, thanks for the friendly Words

Nice Greetings

Epo

Epoche3bis4 Today, 09:57 AM Go to last post
    euromodeller

Behind the scenes of a screenshot

Thanks for the compliment, but I am not a Master, just a regular route builder still learning tricks at the age of 67

euromodeller Today, 09:35 AM Go to last post
    thom58

Show off your reskins!

Just finished, czeh Tagnnps 'Legios'

of these eight, the Czech wagon I made the most difficult

thom58 Today, 09:23 AM Go to last post
    MalignusPL

Screenshots of European Trains

MalignusPL Today, 09:08 AM Go to last post
    PortLineParker

UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

It's 0630 and while Ivatt 2MT 41312 is being readied for the day, BR Class 08 08476 is on shunting duty. The first task of the day is to bring the coaches

PortLineParker Today, 08:51 AM Go to last post
    papou

New Aircraft

Hi,

Here is an airport tractor Tracma TG1500 with Air Inter colours, with dedicated aircraft gangway. The gangway is made drivable to be

papou Today, 08:38 AM Go to last post