History of the Vermont & Hudson Railroad

Shadow-D

The Vermont & Hudson was conceived by my Father in 1968 when he worked for the LAJ.

With this game, I have been able to start building a small fleet and in the future I would like to build a multiplayer map for the V&H. This map will cover every mile of the V&H from Boston MA West to Mechanicville NY then South to Williamsport PA with the connection out of Springfield MA South to Groton CT The route will have as much of the trackage from the 50's to Present Day as I can find on maps. I also plan to include the old ALCO plant in Schenectady. This map will be very large, the route between Boston and Williamsport is about 500 miles, I haven't checked the Groton connection yet but I'm sure it's in the 100 mile range.

This is the Official History as written by my Father...

April 1, 2012​
VERMONT & HUDSON RR NOTES MILESTONE​

THE VERMONT & HUDSON RR WAS FOUNDED IN DOWNEY, CA, 1 APRIL 1968 AS A RESULT OF THE NEW YORK CENTRAL (NYC) AND PENNSYLVANIA (PRR) FORMATION OF THE PENN CENTRAL CORPORATION ON 1 FEBRUARY 1968. THE NEW YORK, NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR (NY NH & H) JOINED THE PENN CENTRAL RR ON 1 JANUARY 1969.

HEADQUARTERED AT 8206 BLANDWOOD ROAD, IT BEGAN OPERATIONS BY TAKING OVER PARTS OF THE ORIGINAL NYC, NEW HAVEN, BOSTON & MAINE, DELAWARE & HUDSON, AND RUTLAND RAILROADS CREATING AN ALTERNATE OR BY PASS ROUTE FROM THE MOHAWK AND HUDSON VALLEYS TO SPRINGFIELD AND BOSTON MA AND GROTON CT ON A MUCH EASIER GRADIENT.

ON 1 APRIL 1976, WITH THE CREATION OF CONRAIL, THE MAIN OFFICES WERE MOVED BACK TO THEIR PRESENT LOCATION IN THE TOWN OF COLONIE IN UPSTATE NY. THE MOVE WAS COMPLETED IN JUNE 1976.

AS A RESULT OF THE ACQUISITION OF CONRAIL BY NORFOLK SOUTHERN AND CSX CORP ON 22 AUGUST 1998, THE V&H WAS AWARDED A CONNECTION TO WILLIAMSPORT PA. THIS NEW LINE NOW AFFORDS A MORE DIRECT ROUTE TO THE SOUTH AND WEST WHICH BEFORE, WAS CUMBERSOME, TO SAY THE LEAST. HOWEVER, WHEN CSX BEGAN OPERATIONS ON THE FORMER CONRAIL TRACKS ON 1 JUNE 1999, CERTAIN SCHEDULES WERE ADJUSTED TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE SYSTEM.

HAPPY 44th BIRTHDAY, V&H!!​

Back