Valuable Feedback Indeed...

Euphod

No Friend requests please
While perusing a thread on the forum, I came upon this jewel of information:

"-I like in that first shot how you can see lights inside the building! DETAIL!!!

-Joe"

Thanks to Socalwb909 for that! For a reskinner, or a model maker, this type of reaction is a goldmine of information, one that I intend to use to my advantage. It is true that many buildings with nightmode tend to show a uniform appearance when the windows are displayed. Joe has just indicated that he appreciates being able to see the lamps INSIDE a building, even in the daylight, because they appear that much more realistic.
Truth be known, I have been after that effect for some time now, but I admit I haven't put forth the effort to achieve the same results. Below is the screenshot in question, originally posted by Andy in his thread "Evansville Western RR", in the screenshots forum:

swmc_122.jpg

Joe was excited about that warehouse window in which you can see the light fixture.

I say, "golden", just a perfect observation of what's possible, what's desired in buildings for Trainz. After reading his comment my mind raced to other possibilities, and his small feedback, seemingly inconsequential, has set me on a course of making better buildings for all members!

I posted this to illustrate the kind of feedback that can really help a reskinner, or a modeler. You may believe that your "small opinion" means nothing, or can change nothing, but I urge you all to post it anyway. You can't imagine the effects your "small opinion" can have.

Thank you Joe, I am planning to run with the ideas you have filled my mind with...

I agree that having a building with visible interiors is a great asset, especially for buildings that are trackside. I did a station with a visible interior once that's on the DLS, but I never got a comment on it, so I quit doing them. These types of assets take a larger poly hit, but I think they're definitely worth the effort in many situations. Since the newer versions of Trainz are more forgiving on poly counts, I've been considering doing some more buildings with interiors. They take a lot more work, but the end result is worth the effort.

Mike

I'm hoping with some creative editing I can provide the illusion of an interior on the exterior texture. I realize this will not change with the angle of viewing, but I'll have to make that call when I experiment a bit!

:)
Euphod;bt136 said:
I'm hoping with some creative editing I can provide the illusion of an interior on the exterior texture. I realize this will not change with the angle of viewing, but I'll have to make that call when I experiment a bit!

Back