A New Start...

steamfreak43487021

New South Welsh Terrier
G'day, fellow engineers!

I have just set myself up on this Trainz Account and am getting used to my surroundings. However, that is not what I'm here to talk about today.

For this series of blogs, I shall be talking about the development of the Warratarragong Branch Line in Trainz format, likened of that seen in the upcoming series of books that I just so happen to be the author of!

The line is fictional, and the Trainz route will be set in the 1950s/60s, at the time where steam was still prominent in the Riverina Region of South-Western NSW. The branch line starts from Narrandera, and running parallel to the Hay Branch Line up North, it crosses the Viaduct at Shawston, crossing the River Hay and descending down a moderate grade, through a long cutting section known as the Woolly Mile.

The line was referred to by this name due to being prominent in wool traffic (one of the Riverina Region's main sources of income). It then passes several halts before reaching Hillcastle, and then continuing westwards towards Kurra Kurra Junction, and finally reaching the terminus at Warratarragong. Beyond the terminus, the line branches off, climbing sharply northwards to the Bluegum Quarry, owned by the local Aristocratic Windward Family, who have resided in Hillcastle as landowners even before the branch line opened in 1882.

Stone, mined at the quarry, which in turn has a two-foot narrow gauge line serving the standard gauge exchange sidings, has been another source of income for this area. Kurra Kurra also leads to a siding which serves the wharf at Haywharf, a small port town at the mouth of the River Hay.

The line's motive power was quite well-known for being a proverbial mixed bag of old engines and other displaced from main line work by more modern motive power.
The line's two oldest engines were: 1) A NSWGR (N)67 Class 0-6-0T locomotive, final number being 1085, and 2) A NSWGR (F)351 2-4-0T locomotive, numbered 1086.

Other locomotives included locomotives of X10, Z11, Z19, Z20, Z26, C32, C36 & D50 Classes, including a few lone wanderers from places far and wide, including one of the very rare Baldwin goods engines built in the 1890s. This particular locomotive was resident from 1892 until a serious accident in 1917 resulting in the locomotive being cut up few years later.

However, a few of these locomotives never made it to Trainz format, so if anyone finds a locomotive of decent quality, please leave a comment to let me know.
To give you some idea of what the branch line looks like, I shall also insert a map of the Woolly Mile for your viewing leisure.

Warratarragong Branch Line Map.jpg

Apologies if the image is too small, if you need to see a bigger version, go to my profile and look for the URL link to my regular blog: Crovan's Gate Works

Have a nice day!

From the desk of D. L. Triulcio

Back