Blog Comments

Love your work WEN, your trainz content is always amazing and very professional.

Joe Airtime
    Looking excellent WEN, especially the bogies!
    darn, now I need a new keyboard... :P

peter
    Just like the real thing ! (we could really use your talents at the friends of the 502 group)
    I should update this bit, because it does become a bit strange.

Wednesday 18th April: Told I had failed another application, so I challenged it and passed.
    Monday 23rd April: Got called up for a telephone interview, which I ironically passed - so it looks like I maybe working for Southern, although for only 6 weeks.
    Good news, I've been invited for an assessment and a medical, so watch this space.
    That would be great Paul. Also look in the UK screenshot thread, I know, theres a massive error I am trying to sort.
    Looking good. I have finally got the cab shots you need, (much easier now its not sheeted over). I will send them after i have sorted them all out.
    The trailer cab end will need extensive work . Large parts of the trailer & motor coach will need re-skinning. Of the two the motor coach is in better condition. Once all spares have been removed restoration work will recommence .
    Its good, but my god, it looks ruined on the front end. Good job someone covered it quickly. Still, its nice to see it under cover.
    ITs a bit tempting to go upto it and grind some of the rust out, assming its thick enough, I am guessing in places, its soo thin, you'll be lucky to keep the thing in one piece. Thanks to the NRM
    If only the interior of the preserved unit looked this good ! Both coaches are now safely undercover for the first time in 15 years.
    This is the trailer coach before unloading (am the "slaphead" on the right). Photo Mark Youden.
    Yo WEN

You both look too tall to fit into that auto

Cheers

AJ
    The fusible link is usually not in the fuse box, although it is sometimes. It's often found down below the engine next to the firewall or under the dash. Most fusible links don't actually look like fuses. They're often a wire placed in line with a wire and is of smaller gauge than the wire it's connected to. The smaller wire will melt when it's overheated due to a short.

It very well could be something else. I was just offering a suggestion.

Mike

Edit: Sorry, I missed your statement that it started fine when it got to the garage, so it definitely is not the fusible link. It could be the ignition switch or a wire that is intermittently grounding somewhere. Tracing down an electrical problem can be a hit and miss adventure.
    Updated February 23rd, 2012 at 05:09 PM by leeferr
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyCadence
    Ahh, yes, the Renault Clio...those are just arriving here. My experience tells me to replace your ignition switch, the one operated by the key. The problem is either there, or between it and the battery. Losing the power input through the ignition switch essentially shuts the car off completely, anything else should have left you with power somewhere.
    I might end up buying a new one when I get the chance. :O
    I got a few other things to do, most importantly, sort the cambelt out, the back brakes (22% imbalance), the hand brake, the mcpherson struts on the front and the steering rack which apparently has power steering even though I had no trouble steering the car when I had the engine off.
    Ahh, yes, the Renault Clio...those are just arriving here. My experience tells me to replace your ignition switch, the one operated by the key. The problem is either there, or between it and the battery. Losing the power input through the ignition switch essentially shuts the car off completely, anything else should have left you with power somewhere.

I'll wager you a pint on it.
    Updated February 23rd, 2012 at 01:47 PM by ShadyCadence
    Quote Originally Posted by leeferr
    It almost sounds like a fusible link blew. Happened on my wife's car when a wire with frayed insulation grounded not too long ago.

Mike
    But no fuses actually blew, we know because the fuse box wasn't touched, of which there are 2. All that was checked is to see if the engine turns, the battery was charging, the alternator wasn't loose and the engine turned over, which it did.

Head scraching?
    It almost sounds like a fusible link blew. Happened on my wife's car when a wire with frayed insulation grounded not too long ago.

Mike
    So when it died, did you still have lights and such on the dash? I'm a mechanic by trade, so this is more professional curiosity than thrying to be nosy. What year, make and model is it? I'm sure I could find some info online and at least offer suggestions.
    Nope, did 3,000 to 4,000 revs, just about to change then the car died, completely, no electrics what so ever (no radio, 12V socket which I had my iPhone in, no taco, no warning, no lights, no oil gauge - the oil gauge comes on when the engine is off, every time, the speedo still worked, because its cable driven.). Its like the engine shut down and the car started slowing down, because I still had the engine connected. The car is something you'd never encounter (probably) in the USA. Maybe their later brothers, but not these models, they seem to be a European only model.

Its a Renault Clio Mk1 (Registered in January 1997, hence P reg. P for August 96 to July 97, R for 97-98 until you get to V and W which are 00 and 01 as most plates now have 51, 02, 52, 03, 53 you get the idea), 1.2L engine, which is actually 1149cc, its a 5 speed manual which you Americans don't have to encounter that often and the bonnet opens towards the front which is great fun when a mechanic tries to get to it that's never touched one before, because the bonnet spring is also broken, which means, you have to simultaneously hold the bonnet release , while at the same time, manually picking up the bonnet and flipping it forward. And yes, its not as basic as you think, no power steering, airbags or luxuaries, but it does have fuel injection and a sunroof.
    So when it died, did you still have lights and such on the dash? I'm a mechanic by trade, so this is more professional curiosity than thrying to be nosy. What year, make and model is it? I'm sure I could find some info online and at least offer suggestions.
    Sounds like you blew a primary fused power input. The real question is...why.

p.s. - Next time, use the handbrake to augment the lack of power assist.
    It wasn't, I got towed to the garage (as I refused to start the car by the roadside) to which I am glad I don't have power steering. If you have power steering and get towed, it makes things soo much more heavier. Likewise as I said for the brakes. Got to the garage and the car started fine. So its still a mystery but the igition barrel is the suspect. Everything else is electrically fine, except the radio as the display is busted.
    Sounds like you blew a primary fused power input. The real question is...why.

p.s. - Next time, use the handbrake to augment the lack of power assist.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast