Blog Comments

WIP - Work In Progress
    I concur with Stationmistress. I find all this talk about Admin privileges puzzling. My TS12 is installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V Games folder on a Win7 Home Premium SP1 computer and I have yet to come across any problems with respect to privileges. No missing assets or anything. Incidentally, "Editing" & "Writing" of folder "UserData" is allowed for everybody/all. Don't know how that happened, though. New improved installer?

-Nickie
    The alternative is to set all content to 3 stars using Content Manager.

Shane
    Shane, a question on the forum today about fav content in 2012. The only display fav content box wasn't there. I looked on mine and couldn't find it either. Only thing I could think of was getting rid of fav content in the railyard.
    Thankyou for your comment. It is appreciated.

Shane
    Shane,
    This only works if you know what is hidden. You can find out by using the find/object/ vehicle tool.
    Make cdp's of the assets involved then delete from cm. Open route/session check they arn't there using mini map, close and save.
    Re install assets.
    Blog entry amended. If the path contains spaces, you must include the "" marks up as far as the trainzutil.exe.

In your case, this would make it "C:/Program Files(x86)/N3V Games/Bin/trainzutil.exe" installfromdls "<KUID2:276733:100470:2>"

Shane
    Could you please make an example of what to enter into Command Prompt?
    I tried this but it's not working: C:/Program Files(x86)/N3V Games/Bin/trainzutil.exe installfromdls "<KUID2:276733:100470:2>"

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneturner12
    <snip>

Retro00064: Coincidentally, I've had the issue detailed above if it's installed anywhere but within C:/Users/<username>. It is worth posting the instructions on how to remove the security restrictions, but do make a note that this will lower the security of the folder.

Thankyou to both of you for your comments.

Shane
    Interesting. Folders in the root C: drive have acted like unprotected folders for me. I checked the permissions for folders in my root C: drive, and the "Users" group has no write permissions, just like with folders in the Program Files folder. However, there is an "Authenticated Users" group listed, (which was not listed in the security settings for folders in the Program Files folder) which has write access. My user account is an administrator account, so perhaps administrator accounts are included in the "Authenticated Users" group.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Thankyou for your comment Zachary.

Hopefully, this will reduce the amount of 'Invalid Content' issues (unless the content is for a later version).

Shane

P.S. I'm looking forward to reading your next blog post.
    That's neat Shane. Another great well-written post. Nicely done.
    stationmistress - some versions of Windows 7 do not require the run as admin (usually versions higher than Home Premium). It may be that you have Ultimate or similar installed.

Retro00064: Coincidentally, I've had the issue detailed above if it's installed anywhere but within C:/Users/<username>. It is worth posting the instructions on how to remove the security restrictions, but do make a note that this will lower the security of the folder.

Thankyou to both of you for your comments.

Shane
    Quote Originally Posted by stationmistress
    Now that is strange! I run Windows 7 and TRS2009 SP2/3/4, none of which are Admin controlled. Don't ask why all these versions, it's just me. I even have a Trainz set-up just for the Darjeeling route, again no Admin. No assets to date have gone missing unless I remove them. Perhaps, it may be that I'm not using the original installations, rather complete copies that don't need Admin to run them. Having Terrabyte drives helps as well with space.
    The run-Trainz-as-an-administrator stuff is primarily important when Trainz is installed in the Program Files folder, which has security restrictions where programs can not write to it without having administrator privileges. If you have Trainz installed in a different, non-protected location (such as in a subfolder of the root folder of your hard drive), then Trainz does not need administrator privileges to write to its installation folder, and thus it is unlikely that you will have these problems.

This is another nice post, Shane. Thanks for posting it.

It is possible to remove the security restrictions from a folder in the Program Files folder. I have done this to my Auran folder (affecting all my Trainz installations), though I still run Trainz as an administrator, even though it thus may no longer be as important to do so. If you want, Shane, then I could post instructions on how to remove the security restrictions from a folder in the Program Files folder.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Now that is strange! I run Windows 7 and TRS2009 SP2/3/4, none of which are Admin controlled. Don't ask why all these versions, it's just me. I even have a Trainz set-up just for the Darjeeling route, again no Admin. No assets to date have gone missing unless I remove them. Perhaps, it may be that I'm not using the original installations, rather complete copies that don't need Admin to run them. Having Terrabyte drives helps as well with space.
    I like to be helpful where I can. I've managed to make it easier to find the correct patch(es) for various builds.

Thank you for your comment anyway, it is appreciated.

Shane

P.S. The related thread is under the same name in the General Trainz forum.
    Updated February 19th, 2012 at 08:58 AM by shaneturner12 (misspelling)
    Way to be a "helpful busy bee" Shane!
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064
    Hi Shane:

This is great information that hopefully will be useful to at least some users. Thanks for posting it.

I fixed what looked like a typo in your tags (I changed "optios" to "options"), by the way. Feel free to revert this change if that was not a typo.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Hi Zachary,

Thankyou for your comments on my blog post. They are appreciated.

Yes, the optios was a typo, so I thank you for fixing it for me. My guess is that the 'n' key got stuck again.

Shane
    Hi Shane:

This is great information that hopefully will be useful to at least some users. Thanks for posting it.

I fixed what looked like a typo in your tags (I changed "optios" to "options"), by the way. Feel free to revert this change if that was not a typo.

Regards,

Zachary.
    Updated February 16th, 2012 at 11:55 PM by Retro00064
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456