Blog Comments

Double-posted by accident.
    Updated June 13th, 2012 at 03:42 AM by Edweird (Double post like a douchbag)
    *kicks a tumbleweed*

It's been quiet for a while. How're you getting on?
    Probably. Smoke and cinders still used to get sucked into the carriage windows though. I think the terminus lines, like Bembridge, had a turntable but I'm sure they were non powered, so it would be easier to run the loco around the train. The whole of the island is like a set of branch lines so none of the locos were very large.

The history of the IOW railway is quite amazing. Despite the island being rather small, there were several railway companies running on the island until common sense prevailed and they were combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986
    Sorry, no. I remember reading somewhere that it had to be adapted with the cab extension to protect the driver and fireman when reversing back down the incline. That makes sense considering it worked much like a tank engine.

I remember as a kid that the tank engines on the IOW Railway frequently pulled trains in the reversed position. The driver and fireman probably preferred it that way.
    If they had the option to run forwards, but actually chose backwards running it was probably to that the smokebox was behind the cab in the train so that the crew kept out of the smoke.
    It looked like this:

You were correct and I found some inverted faces in the lower part of the footplate at the front and a couple in the cab roof. The shadow now behaves correctly.
    Another problem I have is that the shadows extend below ground level to infinity. I've seen this before but cannot remember how I fixed it. I suspect this is why I am getting some odd shadow results when very close to the asset.
    Not sure what you mean here, but does it look like your shadow is being projected out of the mesh? If so trace it back to its origin and you'll find a hole in the shadow mesh.

Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edweird
    Hahaha! She was a brilliant locomotive wasn't she: A real patchwork wonder. Do you know what her 'proper' tender was from?
    Sorry, no. I remember reading somewhere that it had to be adapted with the cab extension to protect the driver and fireman when reversing back down the incline. That makes sense considering it worked much like a tank engine.

I remember as a kid that the tank engines on the IOW Railway frequently pulled trains in the reversed position. The driver and fireman probably preferred it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaw
    It looks to me like the shadow mesh is showing on the tender side. I've found that a satisfactory shadow in TC3 or 2010, doesn't always work well in TS12.
    I've contributed my findings to a TS12 shadow forum discussion.

Chris.
    Thanks. That was my guess and I will trying dragging it back in the X axis. The side of the tender has a sort of bevelled finish which, in real life, was probably reinforcement plating. I think the shadow is extending beyond the normal mesh.

There was a comment elsewhere, by Zec I think, that shadow meshes must be fully contained within the original mesh.

Another problem I have is that the shadows extend below ground level to infinity. I've seen this before but cannot remember how I fixed it. I suspect this is why I am getting some odd shadow results when very close to the asset.
    It looks to me like the shadow mesh is showing on the tender side. I've found that a satisfactory shadow in TC3 or 2010, doesn't always work well in TS12.
    I've contributed my findings to a TS12 shadow forum discussion.

Chris.
    Hahaha! She was a brilliant locomotive wasn't she: A real patchwork wonder. Do you know what her 'proper' tender was from?
    It's strange I didn't come across that web page as I've done a lot of web searching for anything on BB. According to the Backtrack article, it was suggested that some parts, including the funnel but not the tender, came from a Paget 2-6-2 that was being dismantled while BB was being built. I guess that's reasonable given that BB is a "one off".

Backtrack also says that the "works grey" livery was only for the official photograph and it was repainted in gloss black.
    Just found an interesting snippet. I knew Bertha was trialled on a coal run. This website has an interesting bit of info: http://www.robinbarnes.net/gallery10.html

Apparently Bertha's a repeat offender when it comes to tender snatching: Using a 4F tender for the longer distance run. The picture also shows that she pretty much always was black all over. Shame, she looks so much better with those little bits of brass.
    Updated May 27th, 2012 at 05:12 PM by Edweird
    Well, I was talking a long way down the line. I suspect you will have finished the model long before I get my graphics card, so if Kieran has the ability to make the video already, it makes sense for him to do it.
    The video and the soundtrack would be fantastic but I'll let you guys sort out who does it. Those sorts of skills are not in my repertoire anyway. One of these days I will have to find out what fraps is. My Snap5 tool does video capture but I've never used it. I also have Nero 11 so perhaps I have all the tools but maybe not the inclination.

My current plan is to put out the LMS version first, then the BR version and then, maybe, my MR Crimson Lake version. But there is still a way to go.
    Nah, I recorded it myself off the video.
    Oh, okay. Nevermind. Do you want the MP3? I went and bought the album.
    I tell you what, if I get myself a new graphics card for my PC like I'm planning, I could capture some footage using fraps and make a music video to go with that song about her.
    I was going to do the same thing, and upload it to my YouTube account as a tribute to the loco and to say that the loco is available.

Well, when it is available, anyway.
    Well it will have to be in your imagination as I wasn't going to put it up on the DLS.
    Hehehe! Oh well, nevermind. Could you at least let us see the livery when you make it? I'd like to see a picture of it regardless.

I tell you what, if I get myself a new graphics card for my PC like I'm planning, I could capture some footage using fraps and make a music video to go with that song about her.
    Kieran,
    I looked at the ACSLIB I am using again and, in both my TS10 and TS12 installations, the current version is <kuid2:60850:89100:9>. Internally it says version 2.11 and the trainz build is 2.7 (TC1/2).

So, I'm a bit confused. Are we talking about the same thing?

Puzzled Paul
    Ee-heck, imagine that! Bertha in Duchess red with gold lining and a brass dome.
    Well it will have to be in your imagination as I wasn't going to put it up on the DLS.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast