Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986
    Please do. I think I'd like it to look like the video.
    Alright, I'll try my best!
    How does the lighting work on locomotives? Do you just sort of tell it to have a light source in a particular point, which you'd then place on the lamp lens, or is it more involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by captainkman
    Can I make a suggestion for smoke?

I think it might be better to use the older style of smoke, rather than the new textures. They can still be synchronised with the wheels, by using the mode set to speed, and start set to "0,0.25,0.5,0.75". This produces 4 puffs per revolution. Maybe I could write some smoke tags for you. I can include an idle effect, the puffs and some smoke that shows when the engine is working hard.

I'll send you some shots of the effect on a different loco.

Kieran.
    Please do. I think I'd like it to look like the video.
    Can I make a suggestion for smoke?

I think it might be better to use the older style of smoke, rather than the new textures. They can still be synchronised with the wheels, by using the mode set to speed, and start set to "0,0.25,0.5,0.75". This produces 4 puffs per revolution. Maybe I could write some smoke tags for you. I can include an idle effect, the puffs and some smoke that shows when the engine is working hard.

I'll send you some shots of the effect on a different loco.

Kieran.
    Yes, mostly.

I'm working on the tender because I got tired of working on the main body texture and put that aside for a while. While the texture might look OK, there are many things I dislike about it and Kieran (CaptainKMan), who asked for it in the first place, wants to reskin it so that means I need to rework the texture file.

Making shadow meshes is fairly simple. Currently I'm just using PEV's Shadowmaker tool that gives a reasonable result but I will make my own eventually.

Making the Level Of Detail (LOD) meshes involves taking the meshes for the body, body bogey, tender and tender bogey and reducing the detail that would not be seen at certain distances. These distances are determined by the author. Trainz requires that complex meshes use LOD to reduce load on the program otherwise the simulation slows down.

I haven't given much thought to smoke etc yet. In real life Big Bertha would be throwing out a lot of grey/black smoke when assisting trains up the Lickey Bank, so expect to see more than usual for a loco of this size.

Big Bertha also had two internal cylinders that I did not include in the mesh as I thought they would be invisible. However, at a very low angle in front of the loco, I believe it would be possible to see the internal crank on wheelset 3 (middle set). So, that is more work to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986
    Thank you.

It's actually a long way from completion and one of my objects for this blog was to demonstrate how long it takes to build one of these locos. The mesh creation is one of the easiest parts of the project although time consuming. For example, I had no ready made wheel for the tender so I had to build one from scratch. That took a few hours because I hadn't made one before. Paul Hobbs' library had a wheel that was a half inch too big and two spokes short.

The loco body mesh and valve gear is mostly complete. I missed the external reverser shaft and I want to add some bits to the cab part of the exterior mesh. That I will do after completing the cab interior. As a rough guess the initial release is at least a couple of months away. There is a project plan of sorts at the start of this blog.
    Well, you've caught me. I admit I don't know how these models are produced. I presumed that, as the locomotive appeared to be working in the game that production was well underway. I took a look at the 'project plan' you mentioned. from what you've said, I deduce that the loco textures, tender, cab, 'shadow mesh', sounds and spec parts all remain to be completed? Does sound like a lot. Shame I'm such an unskilled dunce. Still, I shall continue to pay close attention regardless.

Nice to hear from you too. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edweird
    If you don't mind me shoe-horning my way into a blog for a loco that appears to be this far done, I would like to say that it looks spectacular. I've seen pictures, paintings and a couple of video footage shorts of this one-of-a-kind locomotive and you have done a sterling job at recreating it. The valve-gear in particular looks splendid. I look forward to watching your progress.
    Thank you.

It's actually a long way from completion and one of my objects for this blog was to demonstrate how long it takes to build one of these locos. The mesh creation is one of the easiest parts of the project although time consuming. For example, I had no ready made wheel for the tender so I had to build one from scratch. That took a few hours because I hadn't made one before. Paul Hobbs' library had a wheel that was a half inch too big and two spokes short.

The loco body mesh and valve gear is mostly complete. I missed the external reverser shaft and I want to add some bits to the cab part of the exterior mesh. That I will do after completing the cab interior. As a rough guess the initial release is at least a couple of months away. There is a project plan of sorts at the start of this blog.
    If you don't mind me shoe-horning my way into a blog for a loco that appears to be this far done, I would like to say that it looks spectacular. I've seen pictures, paintings and a couple of video footage shorts of this one-of-a-kind locomotive and you have done a sterling job at recreating it. The valve-gear in particular looks splendid. I look forward to watching your progress.
    Alright, thanks. Can I reskin it before it's released?

And if you want a tender to stand in before you release the model, to test its looks, there is a G2 'Super D' tender on the DLS with a cab on the front, like Big Bertha's tender. I'd like to see a picture of the model with the G2 tender, until you build a matching tender for Bertha. I'm curious as to how it looks.

And I prefer my locos fried, not baked. But we'll let the community decide that. Let the voting begin!

Note to other readers: Apparently sometimes Gimmie-Pigging pays off, if done in the correct manner.

Kman.

P.S. I'll do some screenshots of the MSTS version, showing more detail than that picture can show. Unfortunately, there is no custom cab on the MSTS version.
    No, I wasn't planning on a works grey version and you are welcome to reskin when it is released. I was planning on an LMS and a BR version both in black. If I still have sufficient interest in the project I will make a LMS/MR version in a crimson lake finish. Don't think it ever sported those colours but I think it would look nice.

I will need to remap the texture in order to facilitate reskinning but I wasn't very happy with the current version anyway.

While building the tender I've run into an interesting situation regarding the cab interior. I might ask a question in the Content Creation forum if I cannot find another loco in Trainz with the same issue.

ps - the release date is a long way off yet!
    Can I ask, will you be doing a Works Grey version too? Or can I just reskin it into that? I have a plan to use it in a video!
    The wheel texture has reddish bits in it so it might look a little odd. But I can do a rusty BR version. Curiously, the wheel texture came directly from a photo I took of a loco at the NRM in York. However, I wasn't particularly happy with the textured result - perhaps it is a resolution problem or even reflections from an adjacent loco.

The MSTS version has a reverser rod located on the right hand side that I haven't implemented - yet! I was wondering what the dotted line in the drawing represented.
    Awesome! I think that you should try to get the texture the same as the wheels, then it will be great!

And here's a link to the MSTS version, so you can see the lining.
    http://members.uktrainsim.com/fileli...m_fileid=23957
    Just like an airplane which CAN fly without it's tail!
    Looks great so far
    Good luck Paul!
    I think my jaw fell off...
    Thanks Peter. From you I consider that a special compliment.

There will be at least three versions: the original MR , the LMS and BR versions but they will be black. Plus, I intend to do a red/crimson one in LMS livery just because I think it should have been in that colour and would look good!

Paul
    Paul,

In my youth I had a fabulous book of makers photos of British steam locomotives. (I wish I still had it)

The Lickey Banker (Big Bertha) was my favourite out of all of them. It just oozes power and dignity, like a king of locos.

British locos of that time were the ultimate in elegant design. Potentially a 0-10-0 loco could be plum-ugly, but no, in this case it's perfection on wheels. Just like the Gresley A3's....

I really look forward to your model.. and it looks great so far...

Peter V
    Updated March 5th, 2012 at 06:01 AM by PEV
    For Whitepass. The rivets I'm comfortable with but regarding your comment about the edge splitting - did you mean for mapping purposes?

This is my second loco and modelling is way easier this time around. I've been experimenting with solidifying parts of meshes and not others, and using planes a lot for starting off sub meshes. Plus, as I said earlier, mirrors are used a lot in this model.
    But, the biggest time save of all has been checking normals as I go rather than leaving it until a mesh is complete.

For Kieran
    Testing is a long way off but I will let you have a pre release version.
    It appears Big Bertha had some mods during its lifetime. For example, the safety valves look different in later photos. According to Brian, the original had Ramsbottom safety valves but they may have been changed to Ross Pop later. BB also had two boilers with one as a spare to reduce overhaul time. Perhaps the other boiler had a different valve. This is something to consider when producing a model of the later version. I'm not trying to be a purist but I'm happy to change it if there is enough evidence.

I haven't given too much thought to the whistle yet. It is impossible to determine what type is used from the drawing so I'll probably use whatever seems most likely.

The other thing I have been thinking about is the spotlight. I believe it was only used during low visibility to assist coupling at the rear of trains being assisted on the incline. I doubt if it would be on once coupled and moving so perhaps I could get it to automatically turn on when a train was detected within x number of yards or perhaps via a switch in the cab. I'm not sure if the latter is possible but I will look into it. I do know that it is impractical to do it with a hotkey.

Paul
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast