PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Defect Detector.

smash
March 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
Is there anyway to have the overall volume reduced in the detector?
I guess the better way to ask is: Would it be possible to re-record the audio files themselves to reduce the volume?
I listen to my computer with headphones only. I dont care where on my route I am or if I am 2 feet away from the loudest loco in trainz, The detector is louder than anything else. And with headphones on at night it WILL scare you.:)

Thanks for your time
Kenny

frogpipe
March 22nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
Odd I frequently can hardly hear it. What I wonder is

Whats

With

the

long

Shatneresque

pauses?

I hear them on my scanner (or in the online feed I sometimes listen to, can't remember) and they don't do that in real life.

justinroth
March 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
open it up for edit in explorer, find the wave file, and then use an audio editing prog. to reduce the volume or even make your own sound file. There are some free programs to edit audio and its pretty easy to do :)

smash
March 22nd, 2013, 10:58 PM
Frog,
I did forget to mention since I almost exclusively use headphones I plug them into the back of my computer. Not in the front headphone port. This may be part of my problem. I also use a Creative X-fi sound card. Not the on-board audio card.
I have a feeling that is done so that the message is not misunderstood because it is a computer speaking too fast.
Justin,
I did think of that so I did open up the Defect Detector Library. It probably had 50 - 100 audio files. Then I thought a bout it, I do not know enough about editing audio files and make them sound as good as the do now.
That is why I came here to ask.
Kenny

justinroth
March 22nd, 2013, 11:56 PM
that many audio files?! guess I need to use this and see what its about? does it play a random message or is it scripted/configurable?

frogpipe
March 23rd, 2013, 12:09 AM
"Milepost 3 7 1 point 4 No defects axles 8 1 detector out"

Or something similar, the real ones around here also give the air temp.

justinroth
March 23rd, 2013, 12:52 AM
"Milepost 3 7 1 point 4 No defects axles 8 1 detector out"

Or something similar, the real ones around here also give the air temp.
it says that everytime?

Pendolino
March 23rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
The dozens of audio files are required, as each file consists of a single word, such as the numerals from 0 to 9, "milepost", "detector", "MPH", etc...
Changing the volume would require an audio editor capable of mass-editing all the audio files at once. I suppose this is feasible: in Audacity there is a "Batch" command, though I never used it.

jointedrail
March 23rd, 2013, 07:52 AM
I have noticed the same thing about the volume. I don't use headphones, but it's spooked me a couple of times especially if you're not expecting it. I'll add this to the list of things to update!

Thanks

Mike

smash
March 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks.
I really do suggest that you try it with headphones. It is better than scary movie late at night.
Kenny

cascaderailroad
March 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Don't you just hate it, when you are cranked back in your comfortable chair, enjoying the railjoint sound, and enginesound, ambiance of Trainz, and you have your headphones all cranked up to the max, and suddenly there is a whistle board, or bell sign, and all of a sudden you are startled out of you wits, the enjoyable wheel sounds are drowned out with an overly loud blaring horn, bell, or annoying overly loud crossing gate sound !

justinroth
March 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Don't you just hate it, when you are cranked back in your comfortable chair, enjoying the railjoint sound, and enginesound, ambiance of Trainz, and you have your headphones all cranked up to the max, and suddenly there is a whistle board, or bell sign, and all of a sudden you are startled out of you wits, the enjoyable wheel sounds are drowned out with an overly loud blaring horn, bell, or annoying overly loud crossing gate sound !
I usually create my environmental/ambient sounds to mix well with how trainz handles audio. I think it's very important to sound real :)

64Warhorse
March 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Well, but real train horns *are* loud enough to wake the dead ... :)

smash
March 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Yea but the problem is ,on my computer, that the defect detector is louder than anything else.
Kenny

cascaderailroad
March 23rd, 2013, 10:12 PM
I would suppose that in order to turn down the volume on any asset, or sound, one would have to edit the wav file and make it quieter, by modifying the volume in the file.

Chadd04
March 25th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Where do i find the FX library for this?

jordon412
March 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
If I recall correctly, you can find it on TrainzProRoute's website.

GTW1226
March 25th, 2013, 06:56 PM
What they need is to you can type in a other railroad so we dont have a list, so we can type in Grand Trunk Western, ect..