PDA

View Full Version : Inclines

Bhorton
February 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I was wondering, how would one go about creating realistic gentle inclines in Trainz, well, any hills really, because that is the one area I struggle on.
Thanks, Bhorton

greywolfretired
February 15th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Do a search for my username in the advanced search box top right corner. It should open to all my posts, scroll down to Mar 17 09 . I still use this as it does give you some good control over yourt slopes and hills. A bit tedious but works great

mp202
February 15th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Great question Bhorton. I often discard my flat-ish midwestern routes because I can't figure out how to make realistic grades and hills.

JCitron
February 15th, 2013, 05:00 PM
There are several great techniques out there. Among them, I use two that work well for me.

* Set the topology cursor to a large area and the sensitivity down very low then use a tap of the mouse to bring up the land slowly. I use the same techniques to lower and to smooth the surface as well.

* Use a road or track spline and level the terrain under it.

Take a road or track spline, and drag it down the slope at the angle you want. I sometimes use several splines next to each other and then flatten (level) the terrain on the advanced spline tab. This will cause the ground to either raise or lower down to the track/road bottom and produce a decent slope. You can do this multiple times.

After doing this, just remember to go back to the topology tool and choose one of the terrain leveling options to force all the trees, etc. to go back to ground level. After leveling terrain with a spline, objects tend to remember their old heights. Click on one spot nearby and the objects should drop.

These techniques take time to master, but once you've got them down, they work pretty well.

John

greywolfretired
February 16th, 2013, 12:15 AM
That's exactly what I do, John put it much better then I did. Both methods work great.

NIARTcar
February 16th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Patience patience patience, is all it comes down to. Good smooth grading is a product of hard work and eye-balling it helps

Anyone else see the word "incline" and think "Incline railroad"? I have to admit, I am a bit disappointed, I was hoping to see a discussion on something like the YVRR:

http://yosemitevalleyrailroad.com/YoseLumbr/InclineAtElPortal.jpg :hehe:

cheers

Bhorton
February 16th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Thanks All!