PDA

View Full Version : Game addiction... Please take a break!

JCitron
January 12th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Here's a very interesting article about game addiction.

Please take a break from Trainz once in awhile!

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/01/12/what-makes-games-so-addictive/?fromcat=insider

John

normhart
January 12th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Sacrilege!

Burn him!

:p

pdkoester
January 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I do take a break from gaming, usually playing Battlefield 3. I take a "brake" on Trainz. :hehe:

William0d0
January 12th, 2013, 02:12 PM
What is this "break" you speak of?

BobCass
January 12th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I have recently have been playing slots on the internet..Free of course..no money

Engineerkenny
January 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM
me and my other NRHS members were looking at an speeder we want to restore one of us picked it up and said "give me a brake"

NIARTcar
January 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Breaks are for quiters.... ;)

JCitron
January 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I like the kidding here, but seriously... get up and walk around sometimes. It's important to do that otherwise you end up with heart trouble from a clot.

@Kenny,

This sounds like fun. Where are you going to run it?

John

grms
January 12th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I like the kidding here, but seriously... get up and walk around sometimes. It's important to do that otherwise you end up with heart trouble from a clot.
Worst thing about the internet?

Sanctimonious busy bodies telling me how to live my life. :o

eldomtom2
January 13th, 2013, 02:41 AM

100% Agreed.

rjhowie
January 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Well I think the news item is a wee bitty over-the-top warning. Sad of course for the man,But such a ratio of madcap activity is at the level at being too distant in the main scheme of things. There have been the occasional Trainzers suffering a light form of getting a mind block or fatigue but that's normal. I find Trainz a great hobby and especially at the odd time my health limits me for a few days at home until i get out again. A touch of the stubborn can be helpful! In doing big projects as at present, I take breaks and do other things then get back to the challenge. At the same time in practice we cannot do much about the tiny number who get to the stage of that poor bloke. For the average person when they get tired they just leave and some come back which is fair enough and quite the norm too.

rickf77
January 13th, 2013, 02:34 PM
It is hard to stop working on the route sometimes. I think I have averaged about 10 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. I'm going to slow down, at the end of a session of work, I'm usually poking at the wrong keys, anyway.

Cheers....Rick

JCitron
January 13th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Well I think the news item is a wee bitty over-the-top warning. Sad of course for the man,But such a ratio of madcap activity is at the level at being too distant in the main scheme of things. There have been the occasional Trainzers suffering a light form of getting a mind block or fatigue but that's normal. I find Trainz a great hobby and especially at the odd time my health limits me for a few days at home until i get out again. A touch of the stubborn can be helpful! In doing big projects as at present, I take breaks and do other things then get back to the challenge. At the same time in practice we cannot do much about the tiny number who get to the stage of that poor bloke. For the average person when they get tired they just leave and some come back which is fair enough and quite the norm too.

Bobby,

I agree this article is a bit over-the-top. It seems that most are when you get them from the internet anyway as though everyone needs to make a sensational news blurb about something! But the point is we do need to get up and walk around a wee bit once in awhile! I know I was being a bit shocking after I read the article, but I'm concerned for everyone here. In general as a society we spend a lot of time indoors now, in fact more than we should. The latest thing, at least in this country, is Vitamin D deficiency. The problem is we're not getting enough natural light, let alone sunlight by sitting inside in front of our computers. With this big warning from the medical industry, of course, comes a big cash in by big pharma who now push their latest wares on us. A few months ago my PCP made a point of telling me my Vitamin D was too low, blah, blah, blah. A few months later, after being out west storm chasing, my levels were fine. I spent a good amount of time in the sunshine. Yes, we spend a good amount of time waiting for the storms to come, and where we are/were there is plenty of sunlight. So much for popping yet another pill daily for me!

The other concern, which was stated in off-linked articles, is very important. Sitting around too long leads to embolisms, which are blood clots. They usually show up in the legs from sitting too long and then travel to the heart and brain; both of these places is fatal, or at the least detrimental with a severe heart attack, brain injury, or stroke.

In some ways, yes, Trainz is good this way because it forces us to get up and step away from what we're doing, but sadly if you're like me, you get side-tracked looking at something else on the net, or doing something else at the computer instead.

It is hard to stop working on the route sometimes. I think I have averaged about 10 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. I'm going to slow down, at the end of a session of work, I'm usually poking at the wrong keys, anyway.

Cheers....Rick

Yes, it is tough to quit sometimes! I too get a bit Trainz-punch-drunk after awhile too! That's why I get up and attempt to practice the piano often. My practicing and playing is the pits, due to other problems now, but it's a break from Trainz, which as you've found out, is quite absorbing as you get further into a project. :D

GRMS

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by JCitron http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=1096377#post1096377)

I wasn't being a busy body telling you how to live your life. I was making a suggestion. Take it or leave it. If you want to stay stuck to a chair all day at your computer, and yes I can be guilty of this too, and yes this is why I posted this article, then so be it and have fun sitting at your computer. Make sure you do foot and leg exercises once in awhile to keep your circulation up. :o

Kenny- This is awesome! Good luck with your speeder. :D

John

rickf77
January 14th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Morning John and others; When I was a kid there were no computers and TV was just becoming a reality in these parts. We spent most of our time playing outdoors, only going home after hearing supper was ready and we might be grounded if mom had to call us one more time. Life was full of adventures. Now a days, when I look out the window, I always wounder, "Where are all the kids?" Attached to some kind of electronic device I would imagine. Boy, I'm happy there were no computers or "gaming toys" back then.

When I tear myself from trainz and get outside I feel much better. My main duties this time of year are gathering up more kindling, bringing wood into the house, and throwing another log into the wood stove. That, and being the doorman for 8 cats, who seem to need to be let in or out every 15 minutes. I almost miss attaching the plow to my ATV and doing some snow shoveling around the front door......almost. I'm actually hoping it WILL snow....a little anyway.

I swear, I will never build another route. I had no idea of the amount of time I would be "wasting" on it. It's just like my old flight sim, not much into shooting down the enemy, or landing on carriers anymore, just making new bases, missions, etc. I let a loco run over the area I'm working on at the end of the day, just to see how things look. Oh well, I'm sure there are worse things I could be spending my time on.

Yes, for our own good, we have to get away from the dang computer as much as possible. It's just like a darn drug. At least it isn't taking all my money, and perhaps this trainz addiction is keeping me from doing far worse things.

Cheers........Rick

Euphod
January 14th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Way ahead of you John! Good advice though, remember... you can lead a man to reason, but you can't make him think!

cascaderailroad
January 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Ever since I got WebTV in 2006 I became hopelessly addicted to the internet, staring at a TV screen for up to 24 hours a day at times. With a laptop you stare at a much smaller brightly lit lcd/led screen, making you tunnel visioned. Being that weblages have a bright white background, and a pale powder blue type, makes eyestrain even more prevelent.

I have Firefox-NoSquint and Color That Site, as well as my PC's accesability disabling Windows colors/fonts/styles/sizes, so that my screen is set on zoom 150% and is medium gray, with black type.

I am going to an eye doctor today, as I think the PC glare has ruined my eyes (and the Trainz Confounded Blinding Yellow Compass) has effected my vision. This millenia will see a lot more peple with severe eye problems from PC use.

I wish N3V would re-color their webpage, as it is hard on the eyes being that it has non-black type

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/1_zps98537d93.gif
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/2_zps26931d4d.gif

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_002-30.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-32.jpg (http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-32.jpg)
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/ForumGray1.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/ForumNew5.jpg

Robert2d6
January 14th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Ever since I got WebTV in 2006 I became hopelessly addicted to the internet, staring at a TV screen for up to 24 hours a day at times. With a laptop you stare at a much smaller brightly lit lcd/led screen, making you tunnel visioned. I am going to an eye doctor today, as I think the PC glare has ruined my eyes (and the Trainz Confounded Blinding Yellow Compass) has effected my vision. This millenia will see a lot more peple with severe eye problems from PC use.

I find that hard to believe. I have worked in Pro Video for the last 35 years, looking at high light output projection systems, LED displays, precision monitors, for hours on end, even though am in my early 70's , my vision is excellent.

grms
January 14th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Way ahead of you John! Good advice though, remember... you can lead a man to reason, but you can't make him think!
How very true. Although unfortunately what this thread highlights is that there always be those (especially on the internet) who assume that they know more than others.

Euphod
January 15th, 2013, 02:21 AM
How very true. Although unfortunately what this thread highlights is that there always be those (especially on the internet) who assume that they know more than others.

"Yeah? What do you know, Ray?
Everything. Haven't you heard? Between me and my brother, we know everything.
What's the capital of Australia?
That's one my brother knows."