PDA

View Full Version : Manuall Replacing Trees in a Route Outside of Surveyor?

Bananimal
December 22nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a problem. I just purchased RoysTrainz CP Mountain route which is massive. It is loaded with Pofig 3d trees which I want to replace. The reason is that I use a 46" HDTV as a main monitor and the highest resolution is 1920x1080. Pofig trees shimmer really bad on my monitor because the pixel count on an HDTV is nowhere near what it is on a proper computer LCD. It is extremely distracting and destroys the immersioin factor of the sim.

Using the "Replace Asset" tool in surveyor is not an option because the route is so massive. There's got to be hundreds of thousands of trees and it takes over 3 hours to replace one variant of Profigs trees. That's if my PC doesn't lock up in the process. My PC is a monster. 4.7GHz and 16GB of RAM. Apparently, Tainz only uses the first 4GB of RAM though. :facepalm1: The game is running on two striped SSDs as well. Still, it is hit or miss as to whether or not the tool locks up or stalls.

Anyway, the "Replace Asset" tool takes waaaaaay too long and I'm not making progress due to lockups after the tool runs for 3 hours etc. Is there a way to manually edit the files for the route to designate a replacement kuid for the trees so I am not forced to use the "Replace Asset" tool? I know TrainzObjectz used to do it but that won't work with TS12. Aaaaaaarg! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shaneturner12
December 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'm afraid not. With later versions, the required information is not actually stored in the config.txt file.

There is another way though.

If you don't mind losing the trees completely, it is possible to delete Pofig's trees from Content Manager (after backing them up to CDP) then using the Delete Missing Assets option in Surveyor.

Shane

activerail
December 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
Bananimal: According to anothe thread regarding the shimmering effect of Pofig's trees, you can remove the shimmer by opening the file in Explorer and find the text file "texture atlas". Then delete the line "MipFilter=none. Try it on one of the tree types in the sim and see if that makes a difference.

Bananimal
December 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Activerail, that worked. I went in and edited all of the pofig trees as you suggested. There is also a billboardsxxxx.txt file that needs to be corrected the same as well. I just made the edit to the two files, saved a copy of them on my desktop, opened every asset for edit in explorer and copy and pasted the files into each overwriting when prompted. Fixed. Thanks!

JCitron
December 22nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Activerail,

Thank you for the tip. ;)

I used TextCrawler to search and replace the line with nothing. It took longer to open up the 500 trees and about 5 seconds to remove the line from the files. There were close to 700 occurrences of that line in the assets.

John