PDA

View Full Version : NEed Dimensions

Blackout16
December 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
i need to know where i can get a hold of some dimensions for say the fp45 i am using blender and what all programs you need to make assets besides blender?

mjolnir
December 20th, 2012, 01:08 PM
One source for drawings / blueprints of the FP45 is through the major model railroad magazine publishers. Either Railroad Model Craftsman and Model Railroader (or both) published drawings, most likely in the 1970's, and while the drawings are long since out of print, they might sell you a digital scan.

As to programs needed to make assets using Blender, you will also need an image processing package. I use GIMP, which is open source, and can be downloaded from the site <www.GIMP.org, but this is not the only one, there are others.

Your second question suggests to me that you are just beginning to contemplate content creation. If in fact this is the case, my suggestion is to start with an asset much smaller and less complicated than a locomotive. My first recommendation would be a lineside structure--a signal box, or the like, then moving up through more complicated (stationary) objects--stations, houses, stores, parked semi-trailers, and cars, and then progress to freight rolling stock, then passenger rolling stock or locomotives. I'd start with stationary assets instead of moving ones to learn the modeling techniques before the animating ones, freight rolling stock before passenger because generally freight rolling stock does not need interiors, and locomotives last because of the complexity introduced by adding power to a unit.

ns