PDA

View Full Version : Still to be discovered

SuperFudd
September 11th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Aparently these folks are yet to discover Trainz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6VAuPPufNro

:hehe:

Euphod
September 11th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Wonderful machines, but I think I saw a UFO flying over one of them...;). Really great video, thanks for the link.

jjanmarine3
September 11th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Wow..I enjoyed that - Thanks :)

philskene
September 11th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I enjoyed that too. Thanks.

Wonderful to see that West Side Shay in action.

Bill69
September 11th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Aparently these folks are yet to discover Trainz.:hehe: snip.

Maybe so, but a live steam day like that is a hell of a lot of fun. I've been to a few of them in NZ.

Cheers,
Bill69

davesnow
September 11th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think those grown men look ridiculous riding around on those miniature mock-ups of steam engines. Sorry, but I'm not a big fan of steam engines anyhow. I don't understand the fascination with steam locomotives. Give me a big diesel anytime.

Well, now that I've spoken my mind, I'm guessing I'll be on a lot of people's "ignore' lists.

Cheers:)

Dave

SuperFudd
September 11th, 2012, 04:03 PM
So, what ever hapened to Dave?

:wave:

Mick_Berg
September 12th, 2012, 02:38 AM
What is that strange machine, No. 15, at about 58 seconds in? Was there a full-size version of it?
Mick Berg.

nimec
September 12th, 2012, 04:11 AM
The riding around is just the culmination of years of work. It take good engineering skill and hours and hours of dedication to build one of those live steamers. Surely you are not suggesting Diesels are really trains? They are just the poor mans excuse.
Just go down the road and buy a Chinese diesel engine, toss it on a frame and clothe it with a bit of sheetmetal hey presto you have a loco ? Come on Dave.
A diesel will never have the attraction of steam [unless of course you are young and have never really seen steam] Steam is living, the same cant be said for diesel and if you go to one of these shows you will see all the spectators crowd round and admire the steam locos and respect the intracies and engineering effort that goes into building them. No one hangs round a diesel as they are always seen as the poor mans lot and not of a 'real' loco. Just junk.
The fellows who build these steamers dont sit on ther chuffs at a computer but get out and actually do it. No wonder they like the occasional 'meet'. where they can get a chance to show their wares ! Cheers

BD1
September 12th, 2012, 08:08 AM
These guys are probably machinists, and probably have a lathe, and a milling machine in their garage, and machine all the castings to 1/10,000 th of an inch, and assemble 1000's of intricate moving parts, which is quite an acomplishment, being that these steamers could actually explode if not for their steam safety release valves.

davesnow
September 12th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Well, I like diesels better than steamers.

Sek_Hakuna
September 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I like blondes better than brunettes. To each his own.

steamrodder
September 15th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Great movie, the West Side Lumber Shay was the cat's meow! -Robert-

jjanmarine3
September 15th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Steam locomotives have character , each to it's own.
I have seen enthusiasts sitting at scrap sites crying because steam locomotives are being cut up .
When one has worked on and with them, the enthusiasm doubles.
I have rarely seen a driver or crew polishing up a diesel or electric unit , tittivating it and giving it it's own unique name.
Diesels and electric units are just working machines doing a job.

Robert2d6
September 15th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Grew up with steam trains going behind my aunts home. They were great then but that was over a half century ago. Give me diesels today.

NSWGR_46Class
September 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
What is that strange machine, No. 15, at about 58 seconds in? Was there a full-size version of it?
Mick Berg.
3 truck shay yes there were many of them google them

boleyd
September 15th, 2012, 07:56 AM
The skills involved are exceptional. So, what is a typical cost, excluding build time, for one of these? If someone (probably an Estate) was selling.

Instead of just making bland declarations some posters might challenge someone to build a working diesel engine. Unfortunately all the fascinating moving parts are inside the engine casing.

frogpipe
September 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
And there's the point I think... Steam is so kinetic, the smoke, the steam, all the moving parts... to say nothing of what it took to master operating one.

amigacooke
September 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Big (little) trains in a big country. Great video.

Williamb73
September 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Man I thought my payware was expensive. You think these guys could have created a few jobs!

Mick_Berg
September 15th, 2012, 11:47 AM
3 truck shay yes there were many of them google them

Guess what: "The Camino-Placerville & Lake Tahoe No. 2, a three-truck Shay, is on display at the Travel Town Museum (http://forums.auran.com/wiki/Travel_Town_Museum) in Los Angeles' (http://forums.auran.com/wiki/Los_Angeles,_California) Travel Town Museum (http://forums.auran.com/wiki/Travel_Town_Museum)." (Wikipedia)
That's about 5 miles away. I'll go take a look.

Thanks,
Mick.