PDA

View Full Version : Need good Roads!

TheRichMan
September 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
I need something other than AASHTO and YARN roads. I need something different. Are there any roads other than aashto and yarn that are realistic, have intersections, and different intersections?

Euphod
September 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
Are you including the "Yarnish" roads in the Yarn? Retro was going to make some roads that had promise, but I don't think he ever got around to it.

TheRichMan
September 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Yes, I dont really like the yarnish stuff.

Scottbe8
September 2nd, 2012, 08:56 AM
I use YARNish a lot - it's the best out there for US/CA roads. But if we could script splines and intersections to customize the number of lanes in each direction or even the angles, that'd be awesome.

itareus
September 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
...if we could script splines and intersections to customize the number of lanes in each direction or even the angles, that'd be awesome...

Well you can do this to some extent by using "No Traffic" roads and then plotting the traffic paths with single lane, one way traffic paths which are visible in surveyor only, when viewed in driver the "Lines" that the traffic is following are invisible.

Scottbe8
September 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Well you can do this to some extent by using "No Traffic" roads and then plotting the traffic paths with single lane, one way traffic paths which are visible in surveyor only, when viewed in driver the "Lines" that the traffic is following are invisible.

While that would work, it does create more work for the route creator. After placing the roads, they then need to separately lay out the solid and dashed lines as well as the road texture and details.

On that note, it would be cool if we can come up with a splitter that transforms 1 lane of traffic into 2 that can then behave as a 2-lane 1-way road. The YARNish splitters use two disjoint splines which does not produce the desired effect.

itareus
September 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
...it does create more work for the route creator....
I didn't say it would be easy :D !

...if we can come up with a splitter that transforms 1 lane of traffic into 2 that can then behave as a 2-lane 1-way road.

I take it you are aware of the "isfreeway" tag in the config ? if not see below. Also "Boat" did an asset a while ago that could make carz randomly turn right as well as left, IIRC it was based on a turntable.

Extract from the TrainzDev Wiiki:

Additional Tags

isfreeway
0 = asset can be a road or rail track 1 = asset will be a freeway model allowing the use of and multi-lane roads
numlanes The number of lanes to be generated.
Default lane spacing is 3.4 metres. Note that for kind track, traffic will flow in one direction for all lanes.