PDA

View Full Version : For those of you wondering where UKBL went...

Steamdemon
August 24th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Upkeep of the website got expensiver...and the websites had to close down. http://ukbl.freeforums.org/website-closing-t633.html.
If this has already been announced on here, apologies.

clam1952
August 24th, 2012, 07:46 AM
That's a shame, someone did ask a couple of days ago where the site had gone, I just assumed a glitch so never bothered to look.
Pity we didn't know in advance as I'm sure some sort of rescue could have been sorted out.
The site is cached on the WaybackMachine by the way if anyone desperately needs to go there. http://web.archive.org/web/20101105181554/http://www.magandy.co.uk/ukbl/site_index.html

amigacooke
August 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
That's very sad news. UKBL were one of the power houses of the UK steam scene on Trainz and had a great number of talented creators.

I'd like to thank them all for their work, a great deal of which still survives on the DLS.

clam1952
August 24th, 2012, 02:03 PM
It seems that all is not lost, since this thread was started there have positive developments today and the site is moving to a new home, no date as yet but will be at http://www.uk-branchlines.talktalk.net/ Give Andy or whoever is organising time to get organised.

Steamdemon
August 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Now that is good news!

amigacooke
August 25th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Now that is good news!
Hear, hear (waves order paper).

mezzoprezzo
January 11th, 2013, 11:05 AM
The proposed replacement for the Magandy site, http://www.uk-branchlines.talktalk.net/, doesn't appear to be operational yet.

is there any further news please?

clam1952
January 11th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Andy has posted on here just before Christmas, he can't afford the site fees, so not sure what if anything is going to happen, some suggestions were made in the thread but nothing came of it as far as I know.

chrisaw
January 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
There was a donate button on the site, a shame more people didn't use it if it meant so much to them.

hris.

mezzoprezzo
January 17th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks both for your responses.

Casper

cmburgess
November 10th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Sorry an old thread dug up, With the site going and a lot of real life things happening, I took a break from trainz, Andy lost his wife, and George is the only one keeping the ukbl name floating with his content,

good news is Ive returned and will be making again, unfortunately I can't afford a website so I will be using a blog to broadcast my content news, and I have a thread in the freeware section with the link,

I will still be making under the UKBL name to keep the name going just like George is

Chris

captainkman
November 10th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Hi Chris,

Why not try the free version of Jimdo or similar for a website?

Kieran.

cmburgess
November 11th, 2013, 12:01 AM
The website was only used as news broadcast and WIP, all the download links were linked to the DLS anyway, I will review the websites situation in the new year. As that will be a good time to make its return, if I decide to do a website or carry on using my blog page, as I'm playing catch up at the moment with being away for so long.

Chris

j_maybury
November 11th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Nice to see you back with us again Chris, you've just about timed it right to see everything kicking off. I just hope that the DRM situation doesn't scupper the whole project up, as the naysayers and the N3V team, battle it out, as the DRM situation, has become a bit of a political football.

cmburgess
November 11th, 2013, 02:00 PM
What's this DRM? I've seen it being mentioned quite a lot but haven't really payed much attention as I'm still catching up on things

Chris

shaneturner12
November 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Chris - have a look for a thread called 'Trainz and DRM' for more details. I believe it's in General Trainz.

Shane

cmburgess
November 11th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Can't seem to find the thread anywhere has it been deleted? Even the search function can't find it

Chris

johnwhelan
November 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM
What's this DRM? I've seen it being mentioned quite a lot but haven't really payed much attention as I'm still catching up on things

Chris

TS12 SP1 DLC so S&C and the other packs have some sort of DRM on them now.

Cheerio John

cmburgess
November 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Found it now, had to use google to find, I can see why it's been done, I noticed when I download ts12 it had a counter of how many times I downloaded it, good job I backed it up to my portable hdd along with all my other items

Chris

Paulsw2
November 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Is Andy (magandy) still around as I emailed him recently about a reskin I've done of the Westwood Tunnel but I've had no reply?

Paul

clam1952
November 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Last seen on here around December last year, could try a post on the UKBL forum, it's still there and he did post once back in the Spring if I remember correctly, he may just check in at some point. Typically I joined the UKBL forum when every one else had vanished.........

cmburgess
November 16th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Just an update the ukbl forum will be closing on the 21st of November due to no activity on it

Chris

amigacooke
November 16th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Just an update the ukbl forum will be closing on the 21st of November due to no activity on it

ChrisChris, that's a shame just as Trainz is gathering some momentum again.

My thanks to all UKBL content contributors past and present, they produced mighty good stuff.

cmburgess
November 16th, 2013, 06:03 AM
I was a tough decision but it's the right one,

ukbl will still carry on, as me and skipper are now part of trainz carriage & wagon works but still release under ukbl aswell

regards
Chris

amigacooke
November 16th, 2013, 06:34 AM
What about Rob (LieLestoSbrat (http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_packcontents.php?AssetPackID=10751#)), is he still around?

cmburgess
November 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Haven't seen or heard from him in a while, but the forum hasn't really had anyone post properly for a long time

chris

cmburgess
November 16th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I have had some good news, will post some more details in due course just need to confirm & finalise a few things... But for now, All I can say is watch this space......:p

Chris

Dean_Forest
November 16th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Rob is still around, creating assets here and there

cmburgess
November 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM
the news has been revealed over in this thread

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?107168-UKBL-to-Return

Chris

Magandy
November 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM
Is Andy (magandy) still around as I emailed him recently about a reskin I've done of the Westwood Tunnel but I've had no reply?

Paul

Hi Paul yes I'm, sorry didn't receive your mail. By all means reskin my tunnel
Andy

Paulsw2
November 24th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Thank you Andy. Sorry you didn't get the email, but always good to see you around here. Just in case you wondered, here's what I've done to your tunnel (and retaining walls):

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/paulsw2/Much%20Murkle/Murkletunnel.jpg

Thanks to jayholland for the use of his LBSCR/SR brick texture.

Paul

Magandy
November 25th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Looking good
Any

Jonas05
August 11th, 2014, 07:21 PM
It's a shame that the UKBL Team shut down their site. R.I.P. MSTnoodle's Models (2006-2009)

johnwhelan
August 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM
It's a shame that the UKBL Team shut down their site. R.I.P. MSTnoodle's Models (2006-2009)

I thought most were on the DLS.

Cheerio John

captainkman
August 12th, 2014, 01:44 AM

Cheerio John
Not his Thomas models, but his Queensland Railways items and his Roller Coaster are. :)

Kieran.

johnwhelan
August 12th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Not his Thomas models, but his Queensland Railways items and his Roller Coaster are. :)

Kieran.

The Thomas models were a copyright issue and would not be available even if the original web site was.

Cheerio John

Jonas05
August 16th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Cheerio John

Well, I do agree because from the DLS I downloaded diesel Arry Bert and Mavis and two survive on www.thomasandfriends3d.jimdo.com and some of mstnoodle's routes the mstnoodle's I have working are Thomas bill boco scruffy and trucks (except truck 2) if you watch thetrainzguy's mstnoodle vid you can find all his models in a shell nut!

rjhowie
August 16th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Regarding UKBL and any other sites going on the cost. Can appreciate that and what someone wants to pay and for what return. I don't make anything but iImaintain 4 websites on Moonfruit for less that what UKBL was facing for one. In fact I can have even more than that if I want and all for the same lesser price than such. Obviously as I say, if you are making paid items the costs are paramount but in a more general sense folk should know that there are situations like Moonfruit (which also supplies basic designs and masses of art works, etc). No adverts either unless you use the free small edition.

johnwhelan
August 16th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Regarding UKBL and any other sites going on the cost. Can appreciate that and what someone wants to pay and for what return. I don't make anything but iImaintain 4 websites on Moonfruit for less that what UKBL was facing for one. In fact I can have even more than that if I want and all for the same lesser price than such. Obviously as I say, if you are making paid items the costs are paramount but in a more general sense folk should know that there are situations like Moonfruit (which also supplies basic designs and masses of art works, etc). No adverts either unless you use the free small edition.

I think I have unlimited bandwidth and storage for around $4 a month with 1&1 which I suspect is slightly cheaper than Moonfruit.

Cheerio John

Jonas05
October 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM
If you want to find out where MSTnoodle's models are still kept, then here's the link: web.archive.org/web/20070612015843/http://www.magandy.net/more_thomas_the_tank_modes.htm

Jonas05
October 30th, 2014, 02:46 PM
You can get MSTnoodle's v4 models there.

Jonas05
October 30th, 2014, 02:48 PM
The Thomas models were a copyright issue and would not be available even if the original web site was.

Cheerio John

What do you mean "copyright issue"?

Jonas05
October 30th, 2014, 02:49 PM
The original reason MSTnoodle stopped making his models is because people kept reskinning them, Thomas4trainz for example.

LNERlover5
October 30th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I'm probably incorrect, however I think HIT entertainment weren't too happy about the models at the time...

Zeldaboy14
October 30th, 2014, 04:38 PM
It was actually both. MSTNoodle was fed up with people reskining his models without permission, and HIT was not happy about the models either.

cascaderailroad
October 30th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Union Pacific was not a happy camper, and wanted all UP logos on model trainsets removed from hobby shops ... bunch a wet blankets :hehe:

But when 10's of thousands of hobbyists stormed UP, armed with pitchforks and torches, UP caved in !

cmburgess
October 30th, 2014, 04:53 PM
im only going to post this once about the TTE content,

they were removed from the site because:

1. Re-skins were done done and shared illegally
2. some users uploaded items to the DLS with no permission sort from creator
3. And Copyright issues at the time.

users moaned etc, but some users only had them selves to blame as one of them was doing the 1 & 2 and we had to get Auran/N3v to remove them from the DLS and other forums to delete the download links
it became to much hard work, as we spent more time looking on the forums for links of the content than making content for the group, so we thought with the timing of copyright issue, the only option was to remove them.

Chris

Jonas05
November 1st, 2014, 09:00 PM
HIT Entertainment should not bother about the Trainz Stuff if it should be making movies for little kids.

LNERlover5
November 2nd, 2014, 06:36 AM
HIT Entertainment should not bother about the Trainz Stuff if it should be making movies for little kids.

Everyone has the right to protect their intellectual property. Whether we agree with or disagree with the actions taken is another matter.

Jonas05
November 2nd, 2014, 05:47 PM
I know, even we have the right to protect OUR intellectual property. HIT has no right to Trainz, but only to Thomas, BTB, etc...

LLANBADARN
March 11th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Having been away from trainz for a while I seemed to have missed quite a lot... So the UKBL site is no more ?!? Such a great shame, some fantastic content on there. Is any of it still available from anywhere ?

captainkman
March 11th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Having been away from trainz for a while I seemed to have missed quite a lot... So the UKBL site is no more ?!? Such a great shame, some fantastic content on there. Is any of it still available from anywhere ?
Skipper1945 is still active and creating content which is now conveniently on the DLS. :)

Kieran.

johnwhelan
March 11th, 2015, 08:40 PM

Trainz carriage wagon works seems to have attracted a number of the content creators http://trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/ so Bob has screenshots of much of their recent work most of that is available on the DLS. JATWS.org has some member content available for download and TrainzPro routes has a fair number of UK items as well.

Cheerio John