PDA

View Full Version : MSTS into Trainz?

hholdenaz
July 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Is it possible to convert Microsoft Train Simulator Models into Trainz models? I'm asking because I would like to do so myself. If it is, can someone please tell me how?

teddytoot
July 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM
See here (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?90887-MSTS-To-Trainz-Conversions-What-you-need-to-know&highlight=msts+convert). There are other threads on this. Try searching.

johnwhelan
July 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM
The short answer is no, the longer answer is if you have the source files (GMAX) etc.) then the sources can be modified but it a lot of work and the older MSTS models don't really hold up against the newer Trainz models. An example of the differences are that Trainz has separate bogies, with MSTS they are integrated into the source.

Cheerio John

hholdenaz
July 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Well, what about with Railworks?

TRam__
July 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM
About railworks ask at railworks forum.

hholdenaz
July 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
About railworks ask at railworks forum.

No, I meant, is it possible to convert Railworks models into Trainz models?

johnwhelan
July 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
No, I meant, is it possible to convert Railworks models into Trainz models?

Basically the models are made with a tool such as Blender then exported into .im format this is analogous to a program being written in C++ or Visual Basic then compiled into an .exe file which is a set of instructions for a particular cpu. Want to run an x86 or windows program on a SPARC processor you need both the source code and a lot of patience depending on the program. If you have the source its not a bad start. If you have the executable or .exe file there are decompiliers or you could do it manually, I spent 6 months once working out what some one had done with core edits to the .exe file.

So the short answer is no, the longer answer is you can create models that can be used by different games. Those created in Blender or 3DS stand the most chance and most content creators don't bother they build for one game cause that's hard enough.

Cheerio John

clam1952
July 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Same rules apply for any item from another simulator, Possible, yes, Practical no. Unless you have permission from the creator / owner of the item and can obtain the original mesh, that's the 3d model as created in Gmax, Blender, 3ds or whatever program they use before it has been exported then it isn't going to happen.

It's highly unlikely that anyone other than a skilled and well known creator in both camps would even get permission. Just having a model in Railworks or MSTS is of no use for Trainz without the original mesh and even then due to the different requirements and techniques used in different simulators it may not be possible without rebuilding parts and re-texturing. May as well start from scratch.

TRam__
July 29th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Just having a model in Railworks or MSTS is of no use for Trainz without the original mesh and even then due to the different requirements and techniquesRailworks or MSTS models wouldn't look like in their original games. Trainz visualisation significantly differs from their.

It's highly unlikely that anyone other than a skilled and well known creator in both camps would even get permission.It is possible to convert models using 3D object converter or 3D Ripper DX, but is illegal without permission of the creator.