PDA

View Full Version : Patching Guide for TS2009, TS2010 and TS12

shaneturner12
July 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Moderators - if this is the wrong place, please move it accordingly.

If you are a non-English user, also read http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?98082-Important-Patch-related-information-relating-to-Windows-account-usernames regarding Windows usernames.

Hi Trainzers,

This guide (which is also on my tutorial site in a different form) will help with the patching process.

It is split into stages, each with step by step instructions.

It is advised to check your disk for errors, run a disk cleanup, and defragment your disc.

Important notes before patching
Patching will only work on a version that is registered with N3V. This can be done by clicking Planet Auran above, then clicking Serial Number, then filling in the form.

Some patches will appear to stop at approximately 50%. This is normal, and does not indicate the patch has failed (unless Patching Aborted has appeared). Cancelling the patch at this point will require a reinstall to be done afterwards.

To install certain patches, you must be running DirectX 9.0C August 2009 or later. See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum for details on how to update it.

Automatic Patching

Most versions of TS2009, TS2010 and TS12 will automatically patch. To enable this:

1. Click Options on the Launcher.
2. Click the Planet Auran tab, and make sure your username and password are entered.
3. Restart Trainz.

When Trainz restarts, a Yes/No box will appear if the patch can be automatically installed. Click Yes to proceed.

Manual Patching

If the automatic patching does not work, or is unavailable for your version, you can usually install a manual patch.

To do this, you will need the 5-digit number at the bottom right hand corner of the Launcher screen.

Patch locations:

Most patches can be downloaded from http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/, with the following exceptions:

Regional versions - you will need to visit the website of the distributor of your version, for example Just Trains. For the Easy Computing version, see belgian46's sticky in the Trainz-Dutch forum which contains a link to the relevant page on my tutorial site.

Steam version - if a patch is available, the Steam Client will download and install it automatically. This applies to TS2009 and TS12.

TS2010 Multiplayer Beta - the first patch (44088 to 41670) is available here (http://download.ts2009.com/patch/44088_to_46170.exe).

TS12 - The 47059 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47059_to_48249.exe , and the 46957 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/46957_to_48249.exe .

In addition to this, the following regional patches for TS12 are at:

47772 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47772_to_48249.exe
47452 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47452_to_48249.exe

Non Windows versions

I am currently not aware of any patches for non-Windows versions.

Installing the patch

Regardless of method used, the installation process is the same.

Before you click Apply Update, make sure the folder at the top matches your Trainz installation folder. If it does not, click the .. button next to it to select the correct folder.

Once this is done, click Apply Update. The patch will start to do it's job, and must not be cancelled unless you see Patch Aborted.

If it does abort for some reason, you may need to reinstall the game. I have a list of common patching errors below.

Once the patch has completed, the game may need to do a database repair on the next startup. Let it do one to ensure the stability of the database.

Some versions require more than one patch, so this may need to be repeated several times.

Shane

shaneturner12
July 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Common Patching Errors

Error: This patch file is not applicable to your current installation version.
This error can have one of a few reasons, but here are the common ones:
1.Incorrect patch.
To resolve this, download the patch where the first number in the filename matches your current build number.
2.Incorrect folder selected
To resolve this, check which folder it is attempting to patch (shown at the top of the Auran Patcher window) - if it is indeed incorrect, click the .. button to browse your hard disk, and select the trainz.exe file in the appropriate folder. (You may find it easier to select the relevant shortcut on the desktop, as this normally points to the correct file).
3.Previous failed patch.
If a patch has previously failed, the game needs to be reinstalled before any further patch attempts.
This error can also be preceded by 'unable to determine installation location' or similar.
Error: File xxxxx is corrupt and cannot be patched
Also known as 'Existing file is damaged and cannot be patched: xxx'.
To resolve this error, you will need to do the following (as well as a reinstall):
1.Go into (My) Computer.
2.Right-click your hard drive and click Properties.
3.Click Tools (this will be a tab at the top of the dialog box)
4.Click Check Now.
5.Tick both boxes shown and click Start.
6.More than likely you will get another box: click Yes/Schedule Disk check (which one appears will depend on version)
7.Restart your system.
File xxx.ja does not match
This error can either mean you have the wrong folder selected, or you have cancelled the patch previously, which means a reinstall.
Error: August 2009 version of DirectX is required
See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum.
Unable to compute checksum for file xxx
This error usually crops up if there is a problem with your Trainz installation, or your hard drive. Reinstalling is a good idea in these circumstances.
Error: Existing File is already patched
This error happens if a previous patch has failed, or was stopped partway through. A reinstall must be performed in this case.
Unknown error
Usually, this means a reinstall, but it also means that there may be a fault with the patching file.
Failed to extract patch archive
This error can be corrected by downloading and running the appropriate manual patch.

Repair related messages (These also crop up during an Extended Database Repair)
<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> does not match the database record
This is not a true error, as it indicates what has been corrected by the patching program. Quite often, it is caused by the folder references changing during patching.
Original/Local copy of <kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been removed
This indicates that the KUID mentioned has had it's original copy, or it's local copy removed. This is usually the case with local (non-built-in) assets.
<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been found at a new location
This indicates that a previously deleted asset has been found elsewhere and has been reinstated.

Shane

Scottbe8
July 29th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Bumping this back up to page 1.

shaneturner12
July 29th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Thankyou Scottbe8 - is there anything else I need to add to it?

Shane

Robert2d6
November 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Moderators - if this is the wrong place, please move it accordingly.

Hi Trainzers,

This guide (which is also on my tutorial site in a different form) will help with the patching process.

It is split into stages, each with step by step instructions.

It is advised to check your disk for errors, run a disk cleanup, and defragment your disc.

Important notes before patching
Patching will only work on a version that is registered with N3V. This can be done by clicking Planet Auran above, then clicking Serial Number, then filling in the form.

Some patches will appear to stop at approximately 50%. This is normal, and does not indicate the patch has failed (unless Patching Aborted has appeared). Cancelling the patch at this point will require a reinstall to be done afterwards.

To install certain patches, you must be running DirectX 9.0C August 2009 or later. See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum for details on how to update it.

Automatic Patching

Most versions of TS2009, TS2010 and TS12 will automatically patch. To enable this:

1. Click Options on the Launcher.
2. Click the Planet Auran tab, and make sure your username and password are entered.
3. Restart Trainz.

When Trainz restarts, a Yes/No box will appear if the patch can be automatically installed. Click Yes to proceed.

Manual Patching

If the automatic patching does not work, or is unavailable for your version, you can usually install a manual patch.

To do this, you will need the 5-digit number at the bottom right hand corner of the Launcher screen.

Patch locations:

Most patches can be downloaded from http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/, with the following exceptions:

Regional versions - you will need to visit the website of the distributor of your version, for example Just Trains. For the Easy Computing version, see belgian46's sticky in the Trainz-Dutch forum which contains a link to the relevant page on my tutorial site.

Steam version - if a patch is available, the Steam Client will download and install it automatically. This applies to TS2009 and TS12.

TS2010 Multiplayer Beta - the first patch (44088 to 41670) is available here (http://download.ts2009.com/patch/44088_to_46170.exe).

TS12 - The 47059 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47059_to_48249.exe , and the 46957 to 48249 patch is available at http://download.ts2009.com/patch/46957_to_48249.exe .

In addition to this, the following regional patches for TS12 are at:

47772 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47772_to_48249.exe
47452 to 48249: http://download.ts2009.com/patch/47452_to_48249.exe

Non Windows versions

I am currently not aware of any patches for non-Windows versions.

Installing the patch

Regardless of method used, the installation process is the same.

Before you click Apply Update, make sure the folder at the top matches your Trainz installation folder. If it does not, click the .. button next to it to select the correct folder.

Once this is done, click Apply Update. The patch will start to do it's job, and must not be cancelled unless you see Patch Aborted.

If it does abort for some reason, you may need to reinstall the game. I have a list of common patching errors below.

Once the patch has completed, the game may need to do a database repair on the next startup. Let it do one to ensure the stability of the database.

Some versions require more than one patch, so this may need to be repeated several times.

Shane

This post is missing the latest patch for TS 12, of 49922. I went by this post and was using 48249, because I thought that it was the latest patch, and found out after 4 months that there was another one 49922. This should be edited to include the last patch.

shaneturner12
November 15th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Hi Robert2d6,

The reason the patch you mention is not listed in this thread is because it is available on N3V's service pack page (as are the 'to 48249' patches nowadays) so I've included the link to said page further up the post.

Shane

RHKluckhohn
December 4th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Some have recommended installing patches while in Windows' Safe Mode, with the firewall and antivirus turned off. In my experience this is no more reliable than installing from your working desktop.

I've had better luck restarting Windows in Diagnostic Mode, turning off my antivirus' auto-protect and then beginning the patch. 41844 to 44653 ran in about two hours and completed correctly. So far, this method has had no failures that I can recall.

To enter Diagnostic Mode on XP, go Start>Run, type msconfig [ENTER] and pick Diagnostic Mode from the list. You might take insurance by running the System Restore utility and creating a new restore point before exitting. On exit, restart Windows.

When finished patching, turn the antivirus back on and run a complete system antivirus scan.

On my system's firewall I've excluded the Trainz folder, but am not sure that's necessary (or wise.)

:B~)

shaneturner12
December 4th, 2012, 03:15 AM
That is indeed good advice, but only for those who are using the manual patches and have already downloaded the patches.

Shane

P.S. For Windows Vista/7/8 users, this is likely to run any process you run as administrator.

Digi93
January 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Hi All

I have problem with patching my Trainz. My version is 42953. I am running windows 8. When i am doing it frm the Trainz Lauchner then I am getting this

File error while reading patch data.
Checking for available disk space for patching.
Searching for patches...
Downloading patch file...
Unable to open the patch file for writing: C:\Users\Damian Kaźmierczak\AppData\Local\Temp/42953_to_44088.zip
Patch download failed.
Patching aborted.

and when I am downloading from this site :http://www.auran.com/servicepacks/ THEN :

No valid patch operation was specified. Patching aborted.

and when i am putting the exe file in the folder where the game is installed then i am getting this :

Ready to install from local patch file.
Current version: 42953.

Unable to extract the patch data from this patch file.
Patching aborted.

I have loads of space over 500GB

So could please someone help me

Many Thanks

shaneturner12
January 27th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Space is not the issue here. The problem is that your Windows account username contains non-english characters, which must be sorted before you install any patches.

Shane

Digi93
January 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM
So how should i do it i dont think that i can change that ?

shaneturner12
January 29th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I'm afraid that's the only safe method of doing it, as otherwise it will affect other programs as well.

Shane

AnthonyH
March 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'm afraid that's the only safe method of doing it, as otherwise it will affect other programs as well.

Shane

Hi Shane, I've tried and tried to update my Trainz 2010 Engineers Edition from TS 42203 I've deleted & reinstalled the game. The automatic update fails and manual returns with 'Unpacking Patch File, Failed to extract patch archive, Patching aborted. My problem and reason for trying to update is because:- after I have saved my session and return to the saved game the information list is missing and 2 consists have derailed. All was ok when I saved the game. Which the saved game is useless!

shaneturner12
March 29th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Welcome to the forums.

You will need to register your version before I can fully help you, as the Auran Patcher utility (as well as Trainz itself) requires that you register your serial number. To do so, click Planet Auran above, then Serial Number, then fill in the form.

Be aware that you may have to reinstall the game as well, especially if you've cancelled the patch previously.

Shane

AnthonyH
March 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the forums.

You will need to register your version before I can fully help you, as the Auran Patcher utility (as well as Trainz itself) requires that you register your serial number. To do so, click Planet Auran above, then Serial Number, then fill in the form.

Be aware that you may have to reinstall the game as well, especially if you've cancelled the patch previously.

Shane
Thanks I've now registered as you recommended. Awaiting any further info.

shaneturner12
March 29th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Apologies for my slow reply..

Can I get you to download and install the 42203 to 44088 patch - use the links in the first post.

If it still fails, copy and paste the entire patching log into a new post.

Engineerkenny
March 29th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Common Patching Errors

Error: This patch file is not applicable to your current installation version.
This error can have one of a few reasons, but here are the common ones:
1.Incorrect patch.
To resolve this, download the patch where the first number in the filename matches your current build number.
2.Incorrect folder selected
To resolve this, check which folder it is attempting to patch (shown at the top of the Auran Patcher window) - if it is indeed incorrect, click the .. button to browse your hard disk, and select the trainz.exe file in the appropriate folder. (You may find it easier to select the relevant shortcut on the desktop, as this normally points to the correct file).
3.Previous failed patch.
If a patch has previously failed, the game needs to be reinstalled before any further patch attempts.
This error can also be preceded by 'unable to determine installation location' or similar.
Error: File xxxxx is corrupt and cannot be patched
Also known as 'Existing file is damaged and cannot be patched: xxx'.
To resolve this error, you will need to do the following (as well as a reinstall):
1.Go into (My) Computer.
2.Right-click your hard drive and click Properties.
3.Click Tools (this will be a tab at the top of the dialog box)
4.Click Check Now.
5.Tick both boxes shown and click Start.
6.More than likely you will get another box: click Yes/Schedule Disk check (which one appears will depend on version)
7.Restart your system.
File xxx.ja does not match
This error can either mean you have the wrong folder selected, or you have cancelled the patch previously, which means a reinstall.
Error: August 2009 version of DirectX is required
See my DirectX Update sticky in this forum.
Unable to compute checksum for file xxx
This error usually crops up if there is a problem with your Trainz installation, or your hard drive. Reinstalling is a good idea in these circumstances.
Error: Existing File is already patched
This error happens if a previous patch has failed, or was stopped partway through. A reinstall must be performed in this case.
Unknown error
Usually, this means a reinstall, but it also means that there may be a fault with the patching file.
Failed to extract patch archive
This error can be corrected by downloading and running the appropriate manual patch.

Repair related messages (These also crop up during an Extended Database Repair)
<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> does not match the database record
This is not a true error, as it indicates what has been corrected by the patching program. Quite often, it is caused by the folder references changing during patching.
Original/Local copy of <kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been removed
This indicates that the KUID mentioned has had it's original copy, or it's local copy removed. This is usually the case with local (non-built-in) assets.
<kuid:xxxxx:xxxxx> has been found at a new location
This indicates that a previously deleted asset has been found elsewhere and has been reinstated.

Shane

sorry to tag all this stuff but I have build 49922 (TRS 12 )are there any patch's from that patch?

shaneturner12
March 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM
No, until SP1 is released.

Shane

AnthonyH
April 3rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks I've now registered as you recommended. Awaiting any further info. I've reinstalled the game. Still have the same problem.

shaneturner12
April 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
What error did it give you this time?

Shane

AnthonyH
April 6th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I followed your recommended manual patch. I'm now updated to Ver: 49933, via first patching to 42203, and now everything works as it should. Many, many thanks for all your help and advise.:D

shaneturner12
April 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
No problem - patching is one of my areas of expertise on these forums.

Shane

Clubmike
April 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hi guys I am having trouble installing the patch 49922. I installed the first patch ok, 48249 and when I try to install the second patch 49922 I get this error message.

One or more trainz related executable s are currently running. blah blah blah close and retry.

I did just install my trainz copy on a new computer does this matter?

thanks

shaneturner12
April 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the forums.

The error also gives you the solution.

Trainz cannot be running when patching it - if you are using a manual patch (i.e. manually downloading the .exe file from the Internet), Trainz must be completely closed.

Shane

stationmistress
May 17th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Hi guys I am having trouble installing the patch 49922. I installed the first patch ok, 48249 and when I try to install the second patch 49922 I get this error message.

One or more trainz related executable s are currently running. blah blah blah close and retry.

I did just install my trainz copy on a new computer does this matter?

thanks

A new computer doesn't matter. I've just got TS12 and had the same message. Just click OK and install a second time without exiting the patch screen. This works.

shaneturner12
May 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
That error basically means that you've got part of Trainz running when it shouldn't be. This may be Trainz itself, Content Manager, Content Creator Plus, or TrainzUtil/TADDaemon. This needs to be checked using Task Manager (and closed if any of the above is running).

Shane

AMTRAKwannabe
May 20th, 2013, 03:17 PM
What about this error?

normhart
May 20th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Hey Shane, I have TS2010 build 43361 so far as I can see there are no patches for this. Can that be right?

shaneturner12
May 21st, 2013, 02:11 AM
Hey Shane, I have TS2010 build 43361 so far as I can see there are no patches for this. Can that be right?

Unfortunately, that is correct. There is no patch whatsoever for that build.

Shane

shaneturner12
May 21st, 2013, 02:12 AM
What about this error?

Try re-downloading the patch...

Shane

Dap
May 21st, 2013, 04:24 AM
I keep two installations of Trainz on my computer. One is for workings and creation, the second is my "virgin" installation that gets only items from the DLS. I have tried to update both with these results:

Working Installation gave me this:

Current version: 49922.
Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 49922 to 57720...
Could not open patch file Builtin\ts12a.ja for reading.
Failed to restore backup file E:\Program Files\Auran\TS12\Builtin\ts12a.ja
Failed to apply the patch: 49922_to_57720
Patching aborted.

Virgin Installation gave me this:

Unpacking patch file...
Failed to patch Builtin\ts12b.ja, file contents do not match
Patching aborted.

Any suggestions?

Dap

rema
June 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I have exact the same problem. Is there any solution around?
Unpacking patch file...
Failed to patch Builtin\ts12b.ja, file contents do not match
Patching aborted.

shaneturner12
June 20th, 2013, 08:33 AM
That indicates that something's not right with the ts12b.ja file. A reinstallation (remembering to backup your UserData folder first) and auto-patch should sort that issue out.

Shane

Dap
July 2nd, 2013, 11:43 PM
That indicates that something's not right with the ts12b.ja file. A reinstallation (remembering to backup your UserData folder first) and auto-patch should sort that issue out.

Shane

I have deleted every Trainz file in the folder including my UserData folder (after backing it up) and I am still getting the same error message.

Unpacking patch file...

Could not open patch file Builtin\ts12a.ja for reading.

Patching aborted.

And what is this autopatch? Would love to get this issue sorted out before this version of Trainz becomes obsolete! Do I need to submit a HelpDesk request?

Dap

shaneturner12
July 3rd, 2013, 01:55 AM
The autopatch facility is in-game - as long as you have your username and password in the Trainz Options box, it should prompt you on startup (or you should get a Patch Trainz button in the Planet Auran tab of the Trainz Options box). Note that the auto-patch will also install SP1 and the hotfixes.

As for the error, that sounds like it's having trouble reading that .ja file, although the auto-patch will give you a retry/cancel box just in case it's a one-off error.

A helpdesk report may also help in case it's an issue with that specific patch.

Shane

econrad
December 3rd, 2013, 05:59 PM
So if it stop's at 50%, is it still going but no showing right?

PC_Ace
December 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
"So if it stop's at 50%, is it still going but no showing right?"
Yes - it can hang there on that 50% complete indicator for a very long time, though it is still in fact working.
Try not to interrupt these installations - they certainly take more time than most people realise.
Hang in there! PC

shaneturner12
December 4th, 2013, 03:16 AM
That's correct. At around 50%, the patcher starts processing the built-in .ja files. Each of these are around 1GB in size, and the older patchers (up to the TS12 SP1 hotfixes) were unable to show the progress of each individual file at that stage due to the way the .ja files are processed. However, the TS12 SP1 hotfix patches do correctly show the progress.

Shane

gamerouche
December 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Hi Shane, can you suggest a fix for the following error? Failed to create backup of file C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TS12\bin\DebugInterface_7c.dll.pbk
Failed to apply the patch: 49922_to_61388. Thanks, Gam

shaneturner12
December 15th, 2013, 03:32 PM
That error seems to be cropping up a lot lately. Check if it's rolled back to 49922, then you may need to use my Permission Generating Tool to take the possibility of it not having permission out the equation, before re-trying.

Shane

gamerouche
December 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Shane, it has rolled back to 49922, I've got no idea about your permission generating tool though. Gam :confused:

shaneturner12
December 15th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Fair enough. I've had an idea though - check in your Trainz install folder and subfolders (apart from UserData) for any Dial Up Phonebook (.pbk) files - if you find any, delete them.

Shane

gamerouche
December 15th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Shane, despite a very careful search as recommended, there are no .pbk files in any of the folders & subfolders. Gam :'(

shaneturner12
December 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM
OK - that's interesting. I would suggest re-trying the patch, but it's difficult to know exactly why it's failing. One thing though is to make sure you are running the patch as administrator if using Windows Vista or later.

Shane

gamerouche
December 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Shane, tried 3 times now & still get the same error, I'm using Windows 7 & running as administrator. Gam :(

shaneturner12
December 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
That error is going to need some further investigation. In the meantime, see if you get the same with the 49922-57720 patch.

Shane

gamerouche
December 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM
ok, will give it a shot, thanks. Gam

gamerouche
December 16th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hi Shane, I'm pleased to report that I'm now patched up to 57720 although the installation wasn't without drama. The patching appeared to stall last night at around 50% complete but I left it run & this morning it was still the same..............I gave the old 3-fingered salute to see if it had bombed out on me & I got the following message................Failed to copy the file 'C:\Program Files\N3V games\TS12\Data.ja' to @C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TS12|Data.ja (error 32: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.) after a few choice swear words, I was just about to jack it in when I noticed that the green patching bar began to move. It reached the end & executed an extended database repair. Et Voila! Patch City! Thanks for your help. Gam :D

shaneturner12
December 17th, 2013, 03:28 AM
No problem, but that data.ja error does concern me.

Either way, you've got another two or three patches to install to get up to the latest build though - 57720 to 57826, 57825 to 58414, then 58414 up to 61388.

Shane

gamerouche
December 18th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I'll get round to them shortly Shane, thanks. Gam

cascaderailroad
December 18th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I find the patch page very confusing !

If I were a TS09 user, I would be totally confused, as the 09 patch's, and hot fix's are not describing in which exact order to apply all the multitude of patch's, so clearly it is very confusing, and brings 09 up to 49922 which is TS10 ... I don't know what is up with that ?

It doesn't describe what a hot fix is, and what hot fix is for, and if hot fix is necessary ?

I feel that the patching page should be re-done over ... to make clarifying which patch to apply, in what explicit order.

gamerouche
December 18th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Tried patching up to bid 57825 from 57720 but got the following message......................

Failed to patch Data.ja, file contents do not match
Failed to restore backup file C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TS12\Data.ja

Gam

gamerouche
December 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM
Also tried patching up to 58414 but no dice too, looks like I'm stuck with 57720.

Gam

shaneturner12
December 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
That's concerning...

Shane

Amtrakguy365
January 2nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
I got this error:
Failed to delete patch backup files.
Patching aborted.

TomDean
July 18th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Hi Shane.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on the following problem:

Earlier this week I finally decided to install TS12 SP1 when I discovered that boat's new Sen City route is only available on SP1. Being cautious and not wishing to spoil my current installation, I installed a fresh TS12 and updated it to 49922, before starting the 49922 to 61388 patch.

Bearing in mind the size of the files involved, I was expecting this to take a while. To begin with things proceeded quite speedily but after an hour, when it started to update the .ja files, things slowed down. It took from 2200 on Monday till 1100 on Wednesday (37 hours) to complete TS12a.ja. At this point I put my computer to 'sleep' to let it and the room cool down! Since then it has run for a further 12 hours (it's now 2000 BST on Friday) and it's quarter of the way through TS12b.ja. Two files (srcFile and difFile) seem to be 'feeding' the .ja files very slowly - sometimes as little as 1 or 2KB at a time, but occasionally up to 3 or 4MB.

Most of the time, I have no other programs running, except those in the background, and 49922_to_61388.exe and jpatchl-w32.exe are using hardly any resources. Nonetheless, the system is running slow; e.g. if I open an Excel spreadsheet it takes up to five minutes before I can edit it. My system is running Windows 7 Professional SP1, with an AMD Phenom II 965 Processor @ 3.40 GHz, and 8GB of RAM; the partition I am installing to has 43GB free space. All virus, malware and spyware checkers are off, as is the firewall and I'm not connected to the internet (I'm doing this post on a netbook).

I'd be grateful if you could suggest any way of speeding up this process as at this rate it could easily take another week. If I need to stop the patch and reinstall, I am happy to do that if the patch can then be completed in a reasonable timeby doing things differently.

Thank you, in anticipation of any thoughts or guidance you may have.

Tom

shaneturner12
July 18th, 2014, 02:24 PM
That is taking an unusual amount of time. Are you using the manual .exe patch or the Yes option when it starts up?

Shane

P.S. It should be possible to cancel the patch (note that this is only the case with TS12 patches), but it will take time to roll back the changes it's made.

TomDean
July 19th, 2014, 03:58 AM
Thank you for your prompt response. As the thread has been cold for so long I was expecting a delay.

I'm using the manual patch. I'm guessing from the wording of your reply that even if I were to cancel, there is no guarantee that doing it again would be any faster. Or could the automated patch be better?

Thanks again.

clam1952
July 19th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Probably going to take as long to roll back as to patch.

May not be related but last time I saw anything like this happen, it was down to a hard disk on it's last legs, transfer rate had dropped to a couple of KB/s after the disk warmed up and not detected by smart either.

TomDean
July 19th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks for that!! Not very encouraging, but it is a possibility, I suppose. Certainly nothing showing on SMART as you suggest. Fingers crossed!

TomDean
July 22nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Shane and Clam

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my problem. I thought I'd update you on what has transpired since.

What a weekend.

Despite the comment in my last post I was not discouraged but I did some more calculations and came to the conclusion that at 16 hours a day SP1 would take 3 to 4 weeks to finish. It wasn't a difficult decision to abort and try running it again. I started it on Saturday afternoon just before a thunder storm started and it seemed to be running faster; an hour in, we had a power cut. Result: 49922 didn't know what build it was, so I had to re-install 46957 and patch back to 49922 before restarting SP1. Again it seemed faster but by the time it got to the .ja files I realised if it was faster, it wasn't by much and I aborted again.

On Sunday morning, taking on board Clam's comment that it might be a slow hard-drive, I put 49922_to_61388.exe on a memory stick and tried again. By the time I had to leave to see the final Monty Python show it was struggling to complete the first .ja file and I gave up.

Monday, I installed 46957 on another drive, patched and started SP1 from a high speed SD card. Better again, but when it got to the .ja files it was putting them on the drive I had used originally!?!

End of story, soon.

Tuesday: last try before ordering TS12 with SP1 pre-installed. Another new install (I don't know how many TS12s I have now), this time on C: drive, and run SP1 from SD card. Eureka!! The progress bar really does move. First .ja file completed in 22 minutes - more than had been accomplished previously in 24 hours. Total update time 2 hours and 29 minutes.

I don't know if this was a world record, but it feels like the sort of elation you would get when it was!

I've had a short trial run and it seems to be OK, so now for SEN City.

Phew.

wva-usa
February 2nd, 2015, 12:16 PM
Last week, I spent the better part of two days trying to do a fresh install of TS12 on an SSD, and then upgrade it to 63188. I couldn't get beyond 49922, no matter what I tried. I actually ended up buying a new copy of TS12, with SP1 from the N3V Games Shop. But since I'd like to figure out what the heck went wrong, I thought I'd post my (failed) results here in this thread...

I started out by downloading the original install files from my account at "My Trainz", that I'd purchased way back in 2011. I installed these on the SSD, without a problem. Running Trainz for the first time, it started the upgrade with the following results:

Searching for patches...
Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 46957 to 48249...

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8cffcdc89e&view=fimg&th=14b2ec303d93e4e4&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14b2eb347a3a2d60&attbid=ANGjdJ9ju1-lc0pWhI_G1nMmYbuqbe8P9bQdFiyRah0tYcxEPJ8Vws1wGvIgV PQZEOe3FvtfLzNO8RVx5lrwoEOGhj-rK_nW3l6ey7j8lTEZJ3Hp-O-bJMNgfSfNc5k&sz=w1006-h446&ats=1422894990737&rm=14b2ec303d93e4e4&zw&atsh=1
So, I clicked "Retry" and then this occurred:

Searching for patches...
Unpacking patch file...

Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 48249 to 49922...

Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 49922 to 58414...

Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match

Failed to apply the patch: 49922_to_58414
Patching aborted.

From this point, I tried doing a manual patch from 49922 to 58414, but it also failed:

Querying installed Trainz versions, please wait...

Unpacking patch file...

I tried the manual patch 2 or 3 times. No luck. At this point I erased the drive and started again, from scratch, installing from the original install files. This time I made a backup of the "virgin" install, so I can avoid reinstalling completely from scratch.

I tried upgrading again, with exactly the same results. At this point I switch out the SSD with a normal, mechanical hard drive that I know is good -- installed the "Virgin" copy of Trainz on the known-good hard drive and tried upgrading it -- got the exact same results.

So I reformat that hard drive and reinstall the "virgin" copy of Trainz. This time I start doing the updates completely manually. The first two upgrades go as follows:

Ready to install from local patch file.Current version: 46957.

Unpacking patch file...

There are no more patches for this build.

Updating Trainz asset database... (this may take several minutes)
; <NULL> : Performing database repair

; <kuid:30501:100046> : <kuid:30501:100046> has been added.
; <kuid:30501:100045> : <kuid:30501:100045> has been added.
; <kuid:30501:100043> : <kuid:30501:100043> has been added.
; <kuid:30501:100044> : <kuid:30501:100044> has been added.
OK (0 Errors, 0 Warnings)

Patching completed.

Current version: 48249.

Unpacking patch file...
Patching from 48249 to 49922...

There are no more patches for this build.

Updating Trainz asset database... (this may take several minutes)
; <NULL> : Performing database repair

OK (0 Errors, 0 Warnings)

Patching completed.

Then I try to go from 49922 to 58414. No luck. I get this:

Querying installed Trainz versions, please wait...

Unpacking patch file...

Repeated retries failed.

There were several patches for progressing beyond 49922 other than the 49922 to 58414 route, such as 49922_to_61388 and 49922 to 57720, etc. I tried all of these, after going back to a fresh "virgin" install. Nothing worked.

This process of trying every possible way of upgrading went on for the better part of two days, and I never got beyond 49922. Every failure pointed to: "Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match"

So, as I said, to attempt to keep what sanity I had left at this point, I bought a new copy of TS12 with SP1 pre-installed. But although my "problem" is now solved, I would like to know what the heck I can't get my original Trainz TS12 files upgraded beynd 49922. After all, I have a copy of TS12 that I was able to upgrade to 63188, that I've been using for several years, that (I assume) made use of the same install files that I just downloaded from "My Trains".

JCitron
February 2nd, 2015, 01:31 PM
"...although my "problem" is now solved, I would like to know what the heck I can't get my original Trainz TS12 files upgraded beynd 49922."

There are a couple of things that will stomp on a the patch installer.

1) Antivirus scanning the files as they're opened and updated.

2) Permissions... I found that running the installer as admin usually solves this problem.

I originally did the step-install, however, like you I opted for the full updated version. It was a lot saner as you say than doing the individual patches, and also took far less time than doing them individually.

John

wva-usa
February 2nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
"...although my "problem" is now solved, I would like to know what the heck I can't get my original Trainz TS12 files upgraded beynd 49922."

There are a couple of things that will stomp on a the patch installer.

1) Antivirus scanning the files as they're opened and updated.

2) Permissions... I found that running the installer as admin usually solves this problem.

I originally did the step-install, however, like you I opted for the full updated version. It was a lot saner as you say than doing the individual patches, and also took far less time than doing them individually.

John

Well, my antivirus wasn't running, and I ran all the manual patches as administrator. No matter what I tried I was stuck at 49922 -- from this point I kept getting the "Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match" error on every attempt to upgrade past 49922.

I actually tried installing on a 3rd hard drive, so the results were the same on the SSD, and two different mechanical hard drives. I even tried these three different drives on yet another PC, and tried updating from 49922 on that machine, getting the exact same error. I tried everything I could think of trying...

I assume that those original install files that I downloaded from "My Trainz" have not changed since I bought them in 2011 and that these files were the exact ones I used to install on my machine that are still running fine and that I did manage to update to 63188 when those patches were released some time ago!

I can't figure out "what's changed", unless the patch files have somehow changed by N3V at some point in time, or....???

My mind is boggled...

JCitron
February 2nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Well, my antivirus wasn't running, and I ran all the manual patches as administrator. No matter what I tried I was stuck at 49922 -- from this point I kept getting the "Failed to patch Builtin\ts12a.ja, file contents do not match" error on every attempt to upgrade past 49922.

I actually tried installing on a 3rd hard drive, so the results were the same on the SSD, and two different mechanical hard drives. I even tried these three different drives on yet another PC, and tried updating from 49922 on that machine, getting the exact same error. I tried everything I could think of trying...

I assume that those original install files that I downloaded from "My Trainz" have not changed since I bought them in 2011 and that these files were the exact ones I used to install on my machine that are still running fine and that I did manage to update to 63188 when those patches were released some time ago!

I can't figure out "what's changed", unless the patch files have somehow changed by N3V at some point in time, or....???

My mind is boggled...

The files must be hosed on the server.

Mind boggling is an understatement if you did everything properly.

John