PDA

View Full Version : Any good tutorial videos out there?

DeathHaze420
July 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
I just got trainz through steam. Yeah, feel free to point and laugh. It's ok. I saw the post about the dev's working on it as well as, well, I don't know how to play the sim yet, so I would be nothing more than a nuicance in any multiplayer setting anyway. But, I cannot for the life of me find any good tutorial videos on steam to prep me while I wait for it to download. Everything I can find is on modding tutorials or level creation tutorials, which will interest me...... later....

Thanks to anyone that has a few links kicking around :D

AntonyVW
July 23rd, 2012, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the forums. The first question that is going to get asked is what sort of tutorials are you looking for? If you are looking for ones on how to learn the basic controls then there are a couple included with the game. But I should tell you you will get more replies if you register your copy of the game.

DeathHaze420
July 23rd, 2012, 06:40 AM
How would one go about registering the game? from the main Auran site or this forum? lol

shaneturner12
July 23rd, 2012, 06:42 AM
Click Planet Auran above, then click Serial Number, then fill in the form.

Shane

DeathHaze420
July 23rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks, got my serial in there now. Now that the game has finished downloading and I have completed three tutorials, I see that watching a video would have done me nothing, so watching the multiplayer videos was the right thing to do :P That looks like fun and I look forward to getting on there. Eventually. As for now, time to toot my horn and head to the next station.

Beattie
July 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Well then I recommend trying out for multiplayer session Montana Rail Link its loads of fun. Good luck with trainz and if you have any more questions, comments, and or concerns please feel free to come back here.

CattyPatty
July 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Well I don't mean to be mean but I think the best way to learn about trainz is to get your hands dirty and play with the software.
It took me about a month to figure out how trainz works.

DeathHaze420
July 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Well then I recommend trying out for multiplayer session Montana Rail Link its loads of fun. Good luck with trainz and if you have any more questions, comments, and or concerns please feel free to come back here.

I have the steam version. I don't even know how to select multiplayer hahahaha. Once I do get in, if I can join Montana I will.

shaneturner12
July 25th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Steam version users will not have much access to Multiplayer at the moment, until a patch is released.

Shane

nimec
July 25th, 2012, 03:11 AM
When I first started I found a complete lack of information but gradually built up knowledge as time went by. A lot of what is there pre supposes prior knowledge but theses forums are very helpful. Also try to cotton on to someone near you who can be a mentor until you get up and running. If you are looking for controls perhaps the followoigf will be of use. I think they are reasonably up top date.
Driving Controls
F = forward
R = reverse
W = open/increase throttle (hold for maximum)
X = reduce throttle
S = close throttle/stop
V = sand. Press again for off
H = horn
Numeric pad + = horn
P = pause game

X =reverse In DCC mode (press and hold).

When driving a steam engine in cab mode, pressing the R key when travelling forward will shorten the cutoff length and save steam/water.

Flashing yellow regulator [throttle] control indicates wheels are slipping and throttle needs shut down, sand applied and opened up gently again then slowly inched open wider until the optimum or 100% is reached

Braking Controls
Q = release brake
A = application
Z = lap
E = Engine or independent brake on. Press again for off
Some games use E on and D off
C = Dynamic brake then Keyboard Pause button [top RH side] to apply brakes. For Diesels: then C for the dynamic brake, then W to increase motor speed to 4 or 6 to give greater power to the Dynamic braking.

[B]i.e. F, S, C, WWWW is Dynamic Braking in throttle notch 4

Emergency braking =Press the Keyboard Pause button [top RH side] to apply brakes, then C for the dynamic brake, then W to increase motor speed to 4 or 6 to give greater power to the Dynamic braking.

In DCC mode, the emergency brake should be the apostrophe (') key on your keyboard. The A key also is an emergency brake

K = To bring back route/Driving information

End key = Electric locoís - Raise and lower Pantographs

End key = Steam engines - opens and closes firebox door in Cab control

Numeric keypad #1 also closes firebox door.

M = Map. Press M again to return to game

Operating Turnouts

Depending on your country of origin, Turnouts, Points, Switches, Junction all refer to the same thing and are highlighted by the red and green arrows that indicate the direction they are set.

You can change the direction of the Switch by Clicking LMB on the coloured arrows associated with the Switch.
The green arrow points to the direction the Turnout is set to and where the train will travel.

To change the setting of the switch.
If you are in the Cab, hold the Ctrl key when you Click LMB [not always effective] or,
use the J key to change the junction ahead.
Ctrl-J if you are reversing.
J = junction, throws the switch [turnout, junction, points ] ahead of consist
Alt+J = throws the switch [points, junction ] behind consist

If you are outside the cab in one of the other views, try clicking on the arrows of the switch you want to change. Click between the arrows to change their direction.

You can also change turnouts in the 2D Map View, which is useful for planning your trainís movements well in advance of its progress.

Ctrl H = To hide the red and green arrows illustrating the switch controls

Do the same to bring them back

Cab controls

N = Blower on. First click is 50% then each subsequent one is 10%
Shift +N = Blower off

I = Injector #1 is on
O Injector #1 is off
Ctrl+I = Injector 2 on
Ctrl+O = Injector 2 off

Ctrl/Right clic on thender should show watewr and coal level

There was a change to the way the injectors work from TC3 onwards - they now have to have at least 4 steps but all you need to do is simply hold the key down until the injector is fully open, you don't need to press the key 4 times. Although if you do press it in shrot steps it will open a little more each time.

If you use the Keyboard, "N" will increase the blower each time you press it
and "shift+N" will reduce the blower.

On some steam locos, moving the mouse forward or back over the injector of blower valve handle will also operate it.

Space bar will open the fire door and each time it is pushed will apply coal to the fire.
Press numeric pad #1 to close it again.
Using the mouse on the firebox door lever will open and close the firebox doors on some locos however on others it will not.

Page down, Zoom out
Page up, Zoom in
Windows Key To instantly minimise screen although game will go on in
Click on Trainz in toolbar to put game back up on the screen

Arrow keys = Used to skew the view right, left, up and down

To select a loco if you are double heading steam, double click on the loco. With a a double headed steam freight running on a layout select each loco as needed to alter regulator and cut off, or fill with water, etc

To change cab ends of diesel/Electric loco, G
To return , Ctrl G

Emergency braking =Press the Keyboard Pause button, top RH side, to apply brakes, then C for the dynamic brake, then W to increase motor speed to 4 or 6 to give greater power to the Dynamic braking.

View controls

Panning/zooming is controlled by:

1. [I]RMB + move mouse (to alter camera position), mouse wheel (to zoom)
2. The four arrow keys (L/R for panning, up/down for tilting)
3. PageUp/PageDown keys to zoom

You can use the mouse controls and key controls individually, or at the same time to give some nice combined effects.

Cheers

DeathHaze420
July 25th, 2012, 10:31 PM
First off, thanks Nimec, for the controls. that is definitely going to come in handy.

Steam version users will not have much access to Multiplayer at the moment, until a patch is released.

Shane

How do I see multiplayer? I don't even know where to look or what to click. I got my auran account in the game.

shaneturner12
July 26th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Have a read in the Multiplayer Talk forum for more information on that.

Shane

DeathHaze420
July 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Have a read in the Multiplayer Talk forum for more information on that.

Shane

I have they say it appears in some menu. I've been to every menu and I see nothing. I suppose I could go start a new thread there asking for help >.>