PDA

View Full Version : Patch failure

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hello all. I've recently installed Windows 7 on my laptop again and today I wanted to install Trainz Simulator 2009 and it's SP's. All fine with the game, but since the game is the british version from Just Trains (built 38869) I had to download from their website the Trainz2009Update.exe (38869 to 40040) to be able to continue update-ing the service packs. When I ran the update, I got the message "File error while reading patch data. No valid patch operation was specified. Patching aborted.". I ran a small search here on the forum but haven't got any good results. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thank you. Best regards, Marius.

PS. The last 3 times I've reinstalled Windows and installed TS2009, all went fine.

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hi stormboy1992 (Marius)

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you may have either an error on your hard drive, or it needs to be defragmented (for hard disk check instructions check the thread in my signature)

In addition to this, I strongly recommend that you reinstall TS2009.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thank you for your quick reply, Shane. I've had defragmented the hard drive prior to installing TS2009,and now I've just ran the hard drive for errors and came up with nothing (the hard drive is ok). I'll try now to reinstall the game, though I have a question... I installed the game in my D partition of the hard (as usual). Should I reinstall it in C instead? (I use Windows 7 Professional X64). And for uninstalling the game, would you recomand that I use revo or just go in the Control Panel and uninstall?

Best regards, Marius.

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Due to possible issues with the uninstaller, it may be worth using Revo just to be safe.

It will run the standard uninstall as part of it anyway.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hello again. Uninstalled and reinstalled, but still the problem persists :(. Can I update to 40040 via another way?

Best regards, Marius.

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately no.

It may be worth redownloading the patch file, just in case it got corrupted.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
I've done that via one of your sites :). Still the same problem :(.

Best regards, Marius.

LE: Would running the update in safe mode work?

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM
It may help - the link on my site links to the Just Trains site.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately, this didn't work either :(. Must be my bad luck. Anyway, thank you for all your help Shane :). You're one of a kind :D. Still, if someone were to find out even a small clue, please let me know :). I'm a little tight up, because most of the rolling stock I use is for SP2 minimum :(.

Best regards, Marius.

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
I remember having issues previously with that patch. Re-downloading it should have fixed the problem though.

If you can, next time you run the patch, copy and paste the details into a post.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 12:07 PM
Ok, here goes then :). I re-downloaded the patch:

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/2176/21072012195730.jpg

I set the path for the game (I created the folder Auran):

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9294/21072012195821.jpg

And when the Auran Patcher starts...:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3806/21072012195844.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3806/21072012195844.jpg

And the program closes :(.

Best regards, Marius.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3806/21072012195844.jpg

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
That is strange. I've just downloaded the patch to check it's size, and it matches yours.

I did notice though that the box next to 'Patching Install' is blank, which should not be the case.

It may be worth running the patch as administrator (if using Windows Vista/7), and making sure that the folder you selected is the correct one for where your TS2009 is installed.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 12:28 PM
The folder is the corect one, I assure you ( unless it should be a subfolder such as bin, but surely it's not :) ) and I also ran the patch as administrator.

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just out of interest, did you check the hard drive for errors?

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yes I have :). The first time you said, I checked at that moment :).

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM
OK - I'm a bit baffled then.

The last time I had to install that patch it went OK.

There is one other question though. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, have you set that to run as administrator?

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
I only ran it with administrator priviledges, no luck.

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM
That is very strange. I will have to check my own version on that one. In the meantime, another user may have suggestions.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ok, anyway I really like to thank you for your interest regarding my problem :). I wish you best of luck.

Best regards, Marius.

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM
It's OK - one way or another a solution will be found.

Shane

shaneturner12
July 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Just had another thought. That error may be related to the temporary files the patch creates - is your hard drive nearly full?

Shane

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 01:45 PM
I have aprox. 27 GB free in C: and over 200GB in E: . As I said, the Windows is freshly installed :).

Vern
July 21st, 2012, 04:04 PM
I think you need to guide the patch in to your Trainz install, as it may not be looking in the correct place. Click on the little icon with three dots to the RHS of the patcher window and navigate in explorer until you find the correct folder.

I had this problem when I uninstalled TS12 and went back to TS2010, the patcher was still looking for the TS12 exe file, but trainz.exe for TS2010 in a different place altogether.

It's also possible the Just Trains version has a slightly different install path than the original Auran product. Again, same solution just navigate through the folders and files until you find it.

stormboy1992
July 21st, 2012, 05:10 PM
Tried this also, but still nothing :(. I'll give it one more shot and I'll let the game install in C:, if this fails, I think I'll have to reinstall Windows :( again.

Scottish
July 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM
I think you need to guide the patch in to your Trainz install, as it may not be looking in the correct place. Click on the little icon with three dots to the RHS of the patcher window and navigate in explorer until you find the correct folder.

I had this problem when I uninstalled TS12 and went back to TS2010, the patcher was still looking for the TS12 exe file, but trainz.exe for TS2010 in a different place altogether.

It's also possible the Just Trains version has a slightly different install path than the original Auran product. Again, same solution just navigate through the folders and files until you find it.

Vern is correct, the Just Trains version which I have has a default install path which is different from the Auran install path.

I am definately of the opinion that the reason why the patch is failing is because the path in the patcher window is not where 2009 has been installed. Using the icon with the three dots as Vern says allows you to re-set the path. Since I have installed my different versions of Trainz in different drives and folders, I always have to change the path in the patch window to re-direct the patch to the correct location for the Trainz version I am patching. Are you absolutely sure that you have navigated the patch to the correct location since the error message you are showing is exactly the one I get if I have set the path for the patch to the wrong location.

Scottish

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 02:51 AM
I'm positive that, when asked to set the path for TS2009, I inserted the corect path (which, in my case, is E:\Auran\TrainzSimulator2009).

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 02:53 AM
I'm beginning to think the patch file itself is faulty based on what I've seen.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
Any possible ideas of how the file might have been corrupted? And why? Last time I installed Trainz, in April, all went fine. I even saved at that time the patch file and tried with that one too, and I got the same error. Could it be a registry problem (e.g. The registries needed by the patch are in C: and, even if I specify the corect path, the patch still goes in C:)?

fen_tiger
July 22nd, 2012, 03:14 AM
When i wanted to update my trainz 2009 with two service packs, I saved the service packs FIRST to the downloads folder on my PC (also to make win 7 do its security checks with the downloads), i didn't download the service packs straight to the game. then, i updated the game to service pack 41844 from the PC's download folder. so, maybe saving the service packs to the downloads folder on your PC first, and not straight into the game, might be of some help to you. Doing the updates in this way, the 2 service packs seemed happy to integrate with my copy of trainz 2009.

On win 7 machines, Trainz SHOULD be installed in this location - C:\program files(x86) , and not installed in c:\program files. I made the cock-up of putting trainz2009 in the wrong file location and was unable to install the first two patches up to 41844. all i got was 'unable to find trainz' when attempting the patches. if the patches get corrupted during the process, the only way around is to un-install trainz and then re-install it again. If you have any content downloaded from the DLS, it's best to copy the CDP files onto a back-up location, either a seperate folder on the PC, or in my case, i have all my DLS content and my route backed up in a USB flash stick.

On windows 7, Trainz2009 has to be run under administrator settings to bypass the many security protocols that Win 7 has got built in., otherwise patching the updates can go wrong and also saving a game session won't be possible - you will find a saved session will be automatically deleted each time the game is re-started and maybe any DLS content ends up missing from the list.

Regards.

Andy

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Well, although I still have 27GB in C:, I have 2 full dual layer DVD's of content :) and , should I install in C:, then my Windows partition would get too full. I intend to install the game in E: . I ran everything with admin priviledges.

fen_tiger
July 22nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Trainz is configured to install in the default folder location * C:\program files\ * [C:\program files(x86) on win7 machines] as any other folder destination such as D:\ or E:\ could be causing the patch failures or errors. the patches themselves also need trainz to be in the default C:\ location as they too also are configured to install only into the same C:\program files location. Ony my old (now broken) win xp machine, i tried to install the patches whilst my game happened to be located in D:\ only for the patches to cause similiar errors and failures.

Trainz 2009 service packs - (2) 38869 to 40040, and then (3) 40040 to 41844.

my legit copy of trainz2009 is the version by Justtrains.net and not the Auran version, so your copy might or might not be awkward in where the default save destination has to be.

Regards.

Andy

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 04:16 AM
I just spotted a little problem right now... My username in the PC has a latin vocale „ă” and, in the Users folder I 2 subfolders instead of one ... one is the corect username and the other one with a czech C instead of that latin vocale :S. Odd thing is that this one was last modified just as I uninstalled the game, again ... Could this be the issue?

fen_tiger
July 22nd, 2012, 04:23 AM
not sure of this. when trainz first installs, the username and password it asks for in the main options/settings are the exact same as what you use to log in the forums and DLS. for the game to modify your username when uninstalling & re-installing, that's an unusual thing to occur. then again, the game only wants a username & password so to be able to access the dls & forums

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
What I meant to say is that the username from which I log into Windows has this issue :).

fen_tiger
July 22nd, 2012, 04:28 AM
ah, okies :) if your windows log-on password is being changed for some unknown reason by the game, try resetting and using a new windows password and see what that then does.

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 04:30 AM
That confirms one of my theories. The patcher is not designed to read from a temp folder with non English characters in the name.

Shane

belgian46
July 22nd, 2012, 04:44 AM
Hello stormboy1992,

I have trainz09/10/12 installed on a separate HD with Windows Xp sp3 and a separate HD Windows 7 ( 64-bit ). My Trainz versions are not installed in the program files folder ( XP ) or program files folder ( x64 ) and all trainz versions are functioning.

Now for your updating patch issue.

Did you clean all elements from within the temp folder which you can find on a WIN 7 pc on c:\windows\temp. I have had a problem with a patch and after cleaning the temp folder, the update installed without any problem.

Best regards

Kurt :wave:

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 04:48 AM
There is a second temp folder under C:/users/.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 04:55 AM
Hello belgian46,

I've must say that I haven't look in the temp folder :) ... and it's kind of full. I'll try to delete the content and then try again to install :). Also I created another user account with english letters only. Now I'll give it another try to see.

Best regards, Marius.

fen_tiger
July 22nd, 2012, 04:58 AM
Fingers crossed that you can update the game with packs 2 and 3 after trying things like having a seperate win password and deleting old temp files. CCleaner is ideal in clearing out old temp files and other useless junk that builds up.

Let's hope you can start playing trainz, stormboy.

note: service Pack 4 is quite large at 449mb whilst the other 2 packs clock up to the 30mb range each.

*waiting for the BR Class 31 to finish downloading so I can start building a few sidings nr the station to store my coaches and to construct a station on my first baseboard

Regards.

Andy

belgian46
July 22nd, 2012, 05:00 AM
Hello stormboy1992, Shane,

The temp folder under c:\users was in my case not the issue.

Cleaning the c:\windows\temp - It could be that you will not be able to clean it completely from within a windows environment. In my case I cleaned the rest from within the cmd environment using dos-instructions.

Best regards

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 05:13 AM
Its safer to use the Disk Cleanup utility built into Windows.

Shane

belgian46
July 22nd, 2012, 05:22 AM
Hello Shane,

The Disk cleanup utility is also an option which can be used. I have had cases where the disk cleanup utility didn't go all the way.

Coming back to the temp folder under C:\Users\ADMIN\AppData\Local\Temp ( I have created an other user account with administrator priviliges ). It's possible that one or more temp files are causing a problem on stormboy1992 PC.

Best regards

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 05:25 AM
That is possible - I still think the non english characters are the problem though.

Shane

belgian46
July 22nd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Hello Shane,

Let's hope that Marius can fix this issue with the extra info provided.

Best regards

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Kurt,

I agree with your comment.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hello all :). I've created a new user account (simply Marius) and ran CCleaner + deleted all the content from Temp folder (both of them, in Users and in Windows). Installed Trainz, re-downloaded the patch and ... what do you know? It works! :D. As I am writing, the game is patching from 38869 to 40040 :). Thank you all for your help and advices :), and special thank you for Shane and Kurt :) :D. I really don't know what helped :) (either the user accoun, either the cleaning, or ever better, both :) ), but everything is rock'n'rolling now :). Thank you again and a pleasant evening!

Best regards, Marius.

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
I did say a solution would be found.

A bit of advice though. To install the next patch you will need Directx 9.0c August 2009 or later.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
It is here :), the first thing that I have installed.

Best regards, Marius.

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
Thats good.

Be aware that the later patches may appear to stop in the middle. This is normal, the patch has not failed, and it must not be cancelled.

Shane

stormboy1992
July 22nd, 2012, 06:18 AM
It's true, but I got used to it :). At least at SP4 I have to wait between 1 to 2h :D (it depends if I use the laptop at the same time), but time is, only thing needed is patience (which is no prob :) ).

shaneturner12
July 22nd, 2012, 06:27 AM
Dont forget - if you run into any further issues you are welcome to start a thread on it.

You may find the thread in my signature helpful as well.

Shane

belgian46
July 22nd, 2012, 06:39 AM
Hello Marius,

I'm glad you're back on track. :Y:

Best regards

fen_tiger
July 22nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hello Marius.

Glad you've got your copy of trainz sorted now with the patching. the final service pack 4 is quite a large download - about 449mb and will take anything between 1 and 3 hours depending on your PC set up. I'm on pack 3 on account of I have a huge amount of music stored on my PC with my iTunes player, so i shan't be onto pack 4 myself.

CCleaner is very good in removing all the temp files that build up during general PC use, either from the internet or from trainz. I use CCleaner on a daily basis, the last thing to do before I switch off the PC. I also use Defraggler once a week, this software can be downloaded from the same offical site as CCleaner can be found.

Regards.

Andy