PDA

View Full Version : Track memory load

DJReonic
July 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I'm curious about something. Which uses up more system resources a single 4-track mesh, or 4 individual track meshes lined up to imitate the 4-track mesh?

Dermmy
July 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM
How long is a ball of string?

Seriously though, there are too many other variables. A meaningful comparison would need the track to be otherwise identical and while that might be true for older track I am not sure if any of the better-looking tracks made recently are even available as multi-tracks. There are a whole host of issues with using multi-tracks that make single tracks laid multiple times more appealing. I am near paranoid about keeping routes performance-friendly but even if there was a huge performance gain in multi-tracks i just wouldn't use them....

DJReonic
July 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I took a quadruple track, changed the track mesh to JR DK Grey, and adjusted the spacing to PRR specs, and set the track directions to 0,0,1,1 (or something like that to make 2 go one way and 2 go the other way) and it works fine for me. It is much simpler to do than adjusting multiple tracks. I like PRR-style stuff, so I'm going to use it.

cascaderailroad
July 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Ahhh yes ... Another satisfied user of Quad track ... I use MB Quad as a preliminary 4m track spacing tool, and slowly replace all the MB Quad, with single track, on the finished route.

I have found that Quad track adversely effects framerate ... so I eventually swap the Quad track out, and replace it with a chunky mesh single track, for switchs, and multi track yards ... MP Track Wood v2 & MP Rusty.

I think a 16m repeat rate track, is better than 2m or 4m repeat track.

DJReonic
July 19th, 2012, 06:55 PM
@ cascade. That's exactly what I needed. If it adversely affects framerate, then I will continue using single tracks and lining them up with the PRR Track Guide.