PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

specter0247
July 17th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, it's been a long time.

Hello everyone, its been a long time since I've been on these forums. (I don't even have any posts left out there and the forums changed on me)

I used to be a huge fan of TS2004, playing it everyday. I re installed it and had some trouble with the download ticket, so I've decided to upgrade.

I want to know which game y'all think I should get ?
I just had a few questions.
Can you use assets from earlier games ?
I really want to be able to use all my GWR locomotives and trucks again. Or does each game roughly have the same assets now ?

Also, I need a game with surveyor, as I love making routes, I'd prefer a surveyor that is easy to use (Just like 2004's mode)

Thank you guys.

shaneturner12
July 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hi specter0247,

Welcome to the (new) forums.

It's difficult to advise which version to get, as it depends on how much of a learning curve you want.

Apart from Trainz Classics and TS12, the other versions (TS2009 and TS2010, as TRS2006 is unsupported) will support the majority of assets without modification.

All the modern versions have Surveyor (the only version that does not is one marketed as 'Trainz Driver').

Shane

boyerm25
July 17th, 2012, 09:16 AM
TS2010 & TSMAC have more routes than ts12, as there are hidden routes that can be shown by showing all routes and not just favorites...

Euphod
July 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM
C'mon, get 12! It's the best iteration of Trainz yet!

shaneturner12
July 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM
It may be for a user who has not played Trainz before, but not necessarily for one who has played one of the older versions due to the steep increase in both learning curve and system requirements.

Shane

BLACKWATCH
July 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
C'mon, get 12! It's the best iteration of Trainz yet!

I take it that your comment is made as 'sarcasm'. :hehe:

As for 'specter0247' it may have been a long while, but presumably, if you were such a big fan
of 2004, you registered your copy ?, but your 'timeline' is empty. :confused:

shaneturner12
July 17th, 2012, 10:18 AM
My guess on that is that like the forum itself, his registered details (incl. serial numbers) went AWOL back in 2005.

Shane

BLACKWATCH
July 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Apologies to specter0247 if that is correct Shane, but I thought it was only the forum server that
went 'kybosh', not Aurans main database, but it did happen just before I joined the
Trainz fraternity when I bought 2004 in 2006 ?

specter0247
July 17th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I couldn't really give you a concrete answer. I've had to get a new computer since the last time I've played, I imagine it could have something too do with TS2004 not currently being installed, or not being installed around the time of the "wipe".

I ended up purchasing 2010, is it a steep step up in difficulty from 2004 ?

Scottbe8
July 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I couldn't really give you a concrete answer. I've had to get a new computer since the last time I've played, I imagine it could have something too do with TS2004 not currently being installed, or not being installed around the time of the "wipe".

It should still be registered to your Planet Auran account. If it is not, then there's likely a problem on their end and you need to bring it up with the helpdesk.

fran1
July 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
It's a bit if a leap into the unknown but not to bad.
A few things to log into the head.
Unless you want multi player don't go above build 44088, this also gives you compatibility mode for older content.
A lot of BR/GWR content has been updated, see a thread by C M Burgess ( I think) he's going through locos bit by bit and doing a very good job.
You now have layers (oh the joys ). Basically you have a route layer and a session layer. You can have many session layers based on 1 route.
The route layer you put nearly all in that, especially track. Do not edit track in the session layer. Session layer, place any stock you want on the route. If your using portals set them up in the route layer, same with any industry.
That's the basis of it, I just hope your comps a decent one ( please don't say the L word ).;)

A link to the update thread I was on about, sorry skipper.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?88953-UK-LOCOS-to-be-Released-or-upgraded

specter0247
July 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
It's a bit if a leap into the unknown but not to bad.
A few things to log into the head.
Unless you want multi player don't go above build 44088, this also gives you compatibility mode for older content.
A lot of BR/GWR content has been updated, see a thread by C M Burgess ( I think) he's going through locos bit by bit and doing a very good job.
You now have layers (oh the joys ). Basically you have a route layer and a session layer. You can have many session layers based on 1 route.
The route layer you put nearly all in that, especially track. Do not edit track in the session layer. Session layer, place any stock you want on the route. If your using portals set them up in the route layer, same with any industry.
That's the basis of it, I just hope your comps a decent one ( please don't say the L word ).;)

A link to the update thread I was on about, sorry skipper.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?88953-UK-LOCOS-to-be-Released-or-upgraded

Does he have a new site, I remember using the old UKBL stuff (awesome stuff btw) in 2004.

No worries, I have a pretty good gaming rig now!

fran1
July 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Does he have a new site, I remember using the old UKBL stuff (awesome stuff btw) in 2004.

No worries, I have a pretty good gaming rig now!

UKBL is still about, use the link to the thread.

specter02147
July 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM
What an oddly familiar name.

airtime
July 19th, 2012, 06:04 AM
If I was you, I would choose Trainz 2010 over Trainz 2012, for a number of reasons...

1. Trainz 2010 looks exactly the same on the screen as Trainz 2004, in Driver and in Surveyor. Trainz 2012 looks different in Driver, all the usual functions like camera angles and so on are all hidden away, why they done is beyond me, if you want to see the full screen without controls, just press F5, they didn't need to hide everything away that you may need to use.

2. Trainz 2010 has the Compatibility Mode installed, so you can run mostly everything that is in Trainz 2004, some items may show up in red in Trainz 2010, but they will still run, Trainz 2012 will not let you do this, as it is fussy, and any red items don't appear at all in Trainz 2012, so some old Trainz 2004 content may not appear.

3. Trainz 2010 also has Surveyor, and runs exactly the same way as Trainz 2004, the only difference is, there is layers in Trainz 2010, but you can easily merge all layers together, and you can still make a complete route, like you did in Trainz 2004.

4. With Trainz 2010, you may need to add a little bit of memory to your computer to get this programme to run, with Trainz 2012, you may need to get more memory, a better graphics card, possibly a new power unit, possibly a new computer, I cannot tell you, unless you display what you have in your machine, then we can judge if Trainz 2012 will install right into your computer without any problems.

And Finally

5. Trainz 2010 has more routes and can be upgraded with service packs, that is, if you wish to get it to Trainz 2012 Standard. Trainz 2012 has less routes, but graphics and sound have been improved, but this means your computer must be near top spec to run it.

Hope the above helps

Joe Airtime

By the way, I have both simulators, I use Trainz 2010 for compatibility mode, so I can run everything, and I use Trainz 2012 for the Settle to Carlisle add on pack and the Duchess add on pack, I had to buy a brand new 64 bit computer worth around 1000 with windows 7 installed, to be able to get Trainz 2012 to work on my machine.