PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail service desk rip-off

gremlin1812
July 13th, 2012, 06:30 AM
G’day All, just the other day a spammer got into my Hotmail account and put out a heap of rubbish e-mail’s.:o

Consequently hotmail suspended my account, so I follow the links to try and get my account fixed and lo and behold I’m on a call centre in India (what a surprise) they waffled on for a while about how bad this spamming and hacking is I then said about getting the account reactivated and (surprise again) they wanted $325A to fix the “problem” I won’t put here what I said but I am almost betting that these are the spammers.:(

Just be aware as I had a similar thing happen with yahoo and only had to change my password and all was good.

Regards
Barrie

Euphod
July 13th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up Barrie, you may be changing your yahoo password again pretty soon!

CRO
July 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM
That e-mail from the supposed Hotmail team landed up in my mail box too. Must have been targeting AU addressees. I deleted it. My Hotmail account is still running fine, and no complaints from anyone in my contact lists.
Just follow the normal security rules - anti virus, anti malware, current updates, secure passwords etc., and you should be ok. Unfortunately, scams are now a daily problem. If in doubt, don't reply / respond to anything suspicious. If it is a genuine posting, the originator will contact you by other means if necessary.

Bob (CRO)

slabay
July 14th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Hotmail has always had a reputation for spam in both directions. It is amazing how much spam comes from hotmail addresses and how susceptible hotmail addresses are to getting spam (although their filtering is getting better). I have a Hotmail email address that I use all the time when I need to sign up for something and HAVE TO provide them with an email address that they have no legitimate reason to need (because you know they are going to sell your personal information).

It was a free account anyway. Forget it and move along. Get a Yahoo or Gmail account. They are free anyway. Sure, it is a pain in the butt to notify your contacts of your new address, but nobody really takes a hotmail address seriously anyhow.

Deano5
July 14th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I learnt my lesson with Hotmail the same way years ago, even had my password changed so I could never get into it again. Had to abandon the account and have never been near them again.

Dermmy
July 14th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Changed my mind - life's too short....

slabay
July 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Changed my mind - life's too short....

Had a good rant going???:hehe: