PDA

View Full Version : Thompson and Western MP Session

GN1996
July 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
This Saturday, I am going to host a session on my Thompson and Western MP Route V1. Anybody is welcome to join in. I will hopefully have it up at about 6:00 pm eastern time. Hope to see you there!

colourlight
July 15th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Hello GN, I just closed my Montana Rail Link session after 3 days and I have installed this one in the last few minutes. This is my very first impression. It downloaded ok and is working. There were 18 dependencies in the Route and 6 in the session I had to download seperately but other than that no problems. The session is open as I type but no multi player and no Ichat. Typical. I have only seen Thompson so far and I,m quietly impressed so far. My overall impression is that it is a clean, neat route with a pleasant environment. I noticed you developed a fiendish way to get the locos out of the shed. Is that to discourage people from taking too many,lol. I have seen the Industries in Thompson and now I,m going to play it a bit so I,ll close this post.

GN1996
July 15th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Actually, the transfer table at Thompson was a complete accident and that problem has been fixed in the next version. The next version will make any minor adjustments to industries, track etc. and also add at least another 25 miles of mainline. I am also in the process of creating a hump yard, so for anybody that likes yard swithcing, that should be fun. After the update though, I may just start a whole new route because I am not quite happy with the way I have set up certain aspects of this one.

colourlight
July 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I quite like the Transfer Table. Bennet Manufacturing and Lakeside Con Equipment are "currently not operating"

GN1996
July 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ok thanks, I will look into it.

EDIT
I looked into those industries and both are working fine.

colourlight
July 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
OK. I find that strange I remember one had quite a lot of Steel Coil but was not producing General goods. The other didn,t show a commodidty. All it said was something like it wasn,t currently operating.

GN1996
July 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Bennett MFG is the industry that will produce general goods out of steel coils. Was the general goods queue full by chance? Lakeside Con., Equipment should unload the flacars that have the Caterpillar D11's and the flatcars with the D11 blades and push frames. I will modify those two industries in the next version and hopefully clear up any issues.

trainsim1995
July 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM
That was a great server we had last night but I Trainz had to go offline and we lost 5 hours of work..
Edit
ITrainz is still offline so that kills the server i had planed for today...

GN1996
July 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it was definitely fun. Hopefullly the Itrainz server is back up soon.

M636
July 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Guys the power station had stopped working when i was there so i think that was the reason for the stopped production. When i loaded the general goods it was full but when i loaded 2 box cars it would not produce anymore and said "wasn,t currently operating".

GN1996
July 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Yes, I added a powerstation rule, so if the powerplant is connected to any industries, that industry will not produce or consume unless the powerplant has coal.

JIb228
August 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Before you start on your new route, I'd like to bounce a few ideas off of you. Mostly stuff about yards and what not.

colourlight
August 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have a problem with this session. When I joined it I couldn,t see any locos in the new Kent Area. The strange thing is I can see them when I host. I uninstalled Route & Session, deleted all my downloaded obsolete items, about 6-8 of them, did an extended database repair, restarted computer and did a re-install. Now I can see two pairs of locos. Still a lot I can,t see. I,m working with GN 1996 to try and find a fix. GN did restart the session earlier which didn,t do anything. I also left and rejoined which didn,t work either. GN doesn,t have a FST so he doesn,t want to reinstall, understandably. Now we are conducting another test. I left the session, GN is taking all the drivers out of the Loco,s I can,t see then after five minutes I,m rejoining. If anyone else has similar problems post here please. EDIT. That test was a failure.

GN1996
August 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Before you start on your new route, I'd like to bounce a few ideas off of you. Mostly stuff about yards and what not.

Go for it Jib.

JIb228
August 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Ok, so you kinda have the right idea for the hump yard. But on your next route Id say place it in the middle. Then set up at least 2 tracks per district on the route. And at least 2 spare tracks.

Now here's what I when I say district. the route could be broke up into switching districts. Now a district could be one town, regardless of its size, or it could be 2 ore more towns with their own yard. Then make a list of what products are needed for each district. So if district 1 has two towns and needs good, autos, coal, steel, lumber, and oil. The person working the hump yard can send cars loaded with those products down the right track, making up a train to head out to district 1.
Then make a list of what each district produces, so the right cars can be sent there. So if district 1 produces wood chips, furniture, and scrap, then the right cars can bee added to the first cut of cars.

So, here's kinda how it would look, when written down.
-Train 387 pulls into the arrival yard. Locomotives are cut loose and go to servicing.
-Yard crew pulls off caboose and rolls it down caboose track.
-Yard crew grabs first cut of cars and takes the hump.
-First 5 cars are general goods. Assuming the route has 4 districts and each consumes goods the first 4 are sent down to each districts respective class track(s). The 5th one is set to the auxlry track to be re-classed latter.
-Next 2 cars are empty tank cars. District 2 produces curd oil, so they are sent down the to the D2 Class track(s).
-Next Car is a covered hopper full of grain. District 1 consumes grain, so that car goes down the D1 Class track(s).
-Next is a set of 3 flat cars with bulldozers that are needed in district 2.
(We now have a box car of goods, 2 empty tank cars, and 3 flat cars on D2.
-After the inbound train on Arrival 1 has been classed out the yard crew heads to the other end of the yard.
-They now pull the cars off of D2's class track and take them to the D2 Departure track(s).
-The next road crew grabs the cars off of the D2 Departure Track and heads out to district 2.

Now here is what I would do when it comes to the naming of industries. Id add what district they are part of in the name. Example Miller ready mix is in district 4, so it could be named "Miller Ready Mix D4" or "D4 Miller Ready Mix."

I would also give each district their own yard, even if its just 3 or 4 tracks. That way the main yard, the hump yard, is building large cuts of cars to send out to the smaller yards as transfer trains. Then in the districts yard, the transfer's would be broken down into locals. The locals would then head off to work the industries.

Now there can be any number of districts, I say to start off, build a route that has at leas 3. But leave room in the hump yard for more. As I said, at least 2 tracks per district, just in case one is filled up. And have at least 2 axillary tracks that can be used as over flow or bad order, or misc cars.

Districts dont have to be physically marked with signs, and they can over lap. For example, District 4 is the north most district. Miller Ready mix is the furthest southern industry in district 4. But Commonwealth Co-Op is 2 miles north of Miller Ready mix. But doing this should be limited and districts should be groupings of industries near their yard.

GN1996
August 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I hope to get started on my new route sometime soon.

colourlight
August 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Thats a well thought out proposal Jib.

JIb228
August 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Thats how I would run a larger route. As for my CSX Saginaw Sub I am building now, it is its own district, so one yard handles all trains coming in form other yards/railroads.

Mouse84
August 14th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Is there a hump tower that will let you classify cars? The one that I use in 2010 will cut and classify, but it's random. Then you have to have retarders that actually work correctly. The retarders in UMP will stop the first car, but when the second car hits, they just keep rolling.

What you are describing would work better as a flat switching yard. It's a shame that it's so hard to kick in MP.

GN1996
August 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
In my hump yard, there are retarders, but they are similar to what I think you mean is in UMR. I discovered that very problem when testing my hump yard, so I attempted to fix the issue and my yard hopefully works a little better.