PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer Trainz organization?

colinknapp
April 14th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I was wondering whether there was a set up organisation that arranged multiplayer (as they are) sessions for trainz.

If not then would anyone be intrested in joining this sort of organisation.

i've already written out the basic rules for such a group and created a basic route template.

this organisation would allow the simulation of a proper network where industrys on seperate sections would provide goods for each other.

the network would agree on one set country and time period (to start with present day UK),

and a regular competition would be held for the person who keeps closest to the time table, best section, best screenshot etc
(no prize i'm afraid just the honour of being recognised as being the best)

if your intrested post a reply here, and i'll post the rules, in their entirity.

Colinknapp

Kelly88
April 14th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I was wondering whether there was a set up organisation that arranged multiplayer (as they are) sessions for trainz.

If not then would anyone be intrested in joining this sort of organisation.

i've already written out the basic rules for such a group and created a basic route template.

this organisation would allow the simulation of a proper network where industrys on seperate sections would provide goods for each other.

the network would agree on one set country and time period (to start with present day UK),

and a regular competition would be held for the person who keeps closest to the time table, best section, best screenshot etc
(no prize i'm afraid just the honour of being recognised as being the best)

if your intrested post a reply here, and i'll post the rules, in their entirity.

Colinknapp

When You say Multiplayer I assume you mean iPortal set up as Real Multiplayer in real time is not available, I would be interested in a set up along the lines you have outlined, more so as my interest it UK Layouts ( being English ) maybe a few more details

colinknapp
April 14th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Hi thanks for your interest,

here the rules i have come up with so far, i have also uploaded a map called: 'Module Multiplayer Blank' <kuid:115630:100012> as an optional start point for modules which should be avaiable in a few days (fingures crossed!)

The Rules:
1. you can edit the module however you Like.

2. you can only use freely available content (if not from DLS then address of supplier must be provided

3. The route must be Standard guage (you may use other guages but only standard guage can be connected to iportals)

4. the module should only be about 3 boards long

5.The module must have a British theme

6. content from the present day should be used (this will be changed every so often to allow other periods)

7. all modules must be submitted to the DLS

8. any rolling stock you would like included in sessions should be listed (kuids) and emailed to i.pidgley@hotmail.co.uk and this list will be circulated around all members.

9. each module may only contain 2 unrelated industrys (for example if you have a coal mine you cannot have a power station as both involve coal)

10. you must provide any rolling stock on your module to transport 'outgoing goods' (E.g. if you have a coal mine your section must contain an engine and trucks capable of carrying coal)

Modules will be entered into Best module competition on wich all members can vote on the best section unfortuantly there will be no prize just honour i'm afraid!

to Become a member of this organisation email me at: i.pidgley@hotmail.co.uk or post here for the time being

colinknapp
April 14th, 2007, 03:55 AM
My New Site

http://www.freewebs.com/itrainz/

will contain all info on the club which i have decided to name ITrainz

Colinknapp

WileeCoyote
April 14th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Hmmm... great idea, only problem is most of the stuff I have used is payware and I drive heavy freight trains in East (or West whenever I fell like it) Germany, I suppose there are no regional exceptions?

WileeCoyote:D

colinknapp
April 14th, 2007, 04:03 AM
well i picked UK because i live here. however members can vote on a new region/time if they want to i'll go with the majority.

Only the Rollingstock and trains must be freeware however members are encouraged to share there whole route with other members so freeware is best. (i can't afford to buy payware content)

Colinknapp

WileeCoyote
April 14th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Well you talked me into it, at the moment I am building a three baseboard layout for this as I think it would look today (being as my knowledge of BR today and how their stations normally look goes about as far as my knowledge of the rail system of North Korea). Quick signal question, does BR still use semaphore signals in a few places or do they only use light signals? And where can I find some good modern BR road-rail crossings?

P.S. Please excuse me for my ignorance of British railways and how they look.

Kelly88
April 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM
One small point, why must the moduals be on the DL Station, as It would only be the person using it that needs a copy !!

How would you go about setting up a time of connection and for how Long would it run, as to be interacive/multiplayer we would all need to be online togeather,

Do the module need to be in line
say 1 iportal at each end

so if I was to send something to fred and he was 4 modules away
I would only send to the next module and the dispatcher there would need to forward it on, otherwise you wouls need 1 iPortal outound for each player ?

colinknapp
April 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM
ok heres the specifics:

at each end of the modules there are 2 portals 1 in and 1 out so its a double track set up.

each module controller would relay the train until it reached the correct module.

Sorry i should have said that earlier!

i wasn't expecting such a positive response to the idea!

Colinknapp

colinknapp
April 14th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Time of connection...

thats a very good question,

my thought is that prior to begining a session we meet over MSN messenger so we can see who is around and who isn't and arange the line up of who goes where (hopefully there will be enought to form a circle)

As for the DLS rule i thought that in order to judge a section it would be nice to download it. however if you think thats a bad/ unneccasry idea then i suppose you don't have to, oh the other reason was to make sure everyone had the correct rolling stock downloaded, but that can be listed i suppose.

Colinknapp

rockster
April 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
hi, i im up for this, i remember posting this same sort of idea when 2006 first came out but didnt get much interest at the time, each member would supply a commodity to the rest passing in a line to who ever needs it, then sending the cars back, also a passenger train could be scheduled to pass each map, some local, some express, stopping at just a few maps in the line.

if this is going to work i think the route creation would need to be managed a bit, we dont all want to be building coal modules, so it would be important to let people know so as to keep plenty of variation in the layouts.

also i dont really see the need for all routes to be from the same region, as well as rolling stock, again for variation, but i think there would need to be rules on the length of the consists allowed to be sure each map can handle goods from another layout

cheers

Gav

Kelly88
April 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
The thing is that every one must have the same rolling stock on his computer database otherwise it wont work, and you must drive on the same side of the road!!!
now I normaly work with Bristish Steam, but I have loads of other stock available, and I was sujested that it be UK Modern, thats also OK with me but I have just been looking arround, and there doesnt seem to be that much UK interacive stock for modern UK lines ( wagons ) plenty of locos but no stock

the 4 ports is OK ( in & out ) both ends, but then each player can only have 2 destinations out of his module, so like I said it has to be a chain, with each player being the dispatcher on his module ( thats also OK ) but all players have to be available otherwise you have a break in the circuit ( NOT GOOD )
for through traffic I dont think thats a problem, as you could say send a unit through my section, by just giving the driver orders to enter and depart the moduel ( I assume that driver commands are transfered across the system along with the consist ?)

so if fred needs to send a unit through my module to henry he gives commands like
( Drive to Mikes INPORT-1/Drive to Mikes OUT PORT-2( wich would have Henrys address as the destination)/drive to Henrys coal mine/unload/ and then so forth eventualy arriveing back at Freds module) the progress through my module would not require any intervention by me?, but would be subject to the traffic control on my unit)

are we still on the right track here ?

Kelly88
April 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
By the way I have wanted something like this since I got 2006 and I also tried to get people intersted, but for one reason or the other it never gelled, I have never been able to use the iPorts due to lack of another participant

I hope this takes off !!

Kelly88
April 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I have been putting something togeather while sitting here
It an adapttion of 1 of my moduels from my main layout
Its not completely finished yet, has a small through station/ a small goods yard & a Dock, it has 4 small interactive industrys available but each 1 could only handle 5/6 wagons at a time, I have just changed the signals from semaphore to BR Lights to update it, if anyone is interested and give me there E-Mail I can send it to them to check out ?

rockster
April 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM
The thing is that every one must have the same rolling stock on his computer database otherwise it wont work, and you must drive on the same side of the road!!!
now I normaly work with Bristish Steam, but I have loads of other stock available, and I was sujested that it be UK Modern, thats also OK with me but I have just been looking arround, and there doesnt seem to be that much UK interacive stock for modern UK lines ( wagons ) plenty of locos but no stock

the 4 ports is OK ( in & out ) both ends, but then each player can only have 2 destinations out of his module, so like I said it has to be a chain, with each player being the dispatcher on his module ( thats also OK ) but all players have to be available otherwise you have a break in the circuit ( NOT GOOD )
for through traffic I dont think thats a problem, as you could say send a unit through my section, by just giving the driver orders to enter and depart the moduel ( I assume that driver commands are transfered across the system along with the consist ?)

so if fred needs to send a unit through my module to henry he gives commands like
( Drive to Mikes INPORT-1/Drive to Mikes OUT PORT-2( wich would have Henrys address as the destination)/drive to Henrys coal mine/unload/ and then so forth eventualy arriveing back at Freds module) the progress through my module would not require any intervention by me?, but would be subject to the traffic control on my unit)

are we still on the right track here ?

each train would need to be despatched through your route, you couldnt give a command to drive to mikes inport if it is no on the map, which side of the road doesnt really matter as the inport would be on the correct side for the layout being used

cheers

Gav

Kelly88
April 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Gav

well what I understand is as follow ( just for example we take one line )

on your module you would have 2 iports

at one end this would contain the input address to you system
at the other end it would have the destination address of the next module in the line
If you were situated next to me then my input port would just be set up to recive
but my output would be set up to the next in line

so if my input was called X
and my out put called Y

If you gave a command to a unit to drive to x folowed by drive to Y surly it would just pass through my unit without me doing anything ?
and your unit would arrive on the module of the guy up line from me

rockster
April 14th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Gav

well what I understand is as follow ( just for example we take one line )

on your module you would have 2 iports

at one end this would contain the input address to you system
at the other end it would have the destination address of the next module in the line
If you were situated next to me then my input port would just be set up to recive
but my output would be set up to the next in line

so if my input was called X
and my out put called Y

If you gave a command to a unit to drive to x folowed by drive to Y surly it would just pass through my unit without me doing anything ?
and your unit would arrive on the module of the guy up line from me

there is no way for me to give a command for the train whilst it is on your route, can only give commands on my own layout as my pc wouldnt be able to access the info on your route, when you give a drive to command you need to select a destination from the list, there is no way of telling the driver what is on your map,

so the last command i can give my train is to drive to my exit iportal, after that the train would be in, i hope, your safe hands:)

cheers

gav

rockster
April 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
hi been busy all afternoon working on a module, it has a power station and a lumber mill, all track is laid, junction done, need to signal it and do the scenery

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4826/cleavedenevl8.jpg

cheers

Gav

insulfrog
April 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I would love to join the Itrainz club as it will increase my communication skills a little and make new friends.

May I make a suggestion?

What if the user has the option of putting in the the 're-rail portal' in their module. It will handle any derailments, take away un-wanted trains, and if combined with the 'Emit Train Now' rule, add more trains if needed. You never know when a derailment may occur.

Both the 're-rail portal' and the 'Emit Train Now' rule are both are on the DLS if you have not got any of these :) .

Also you might need somone who would help out and give support while on-line and point people in the right direction if needed.

One more thing, can a casual iportal user send trains to the club's modules if they happened to be in the neighbourhood?

Kelly88
April 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM
If you have the address and details of the persons modual then yes:
but I would be polite to ensure that they are in a position to recive it

I would love to join the Itrainz club as it will increase my communication skills a little and make new friends.

One more thing, can a casual iportal user send trains to the club's modules if they happened to be in the neighbourhood?

Kelly88
April 15th, 2007, 03:45 AM
but in the setup it says if the reciving port is set to AUTO then the train coming out would continue to proceed just following the way the points were set and respond to the signals:

So if you were sending a through train by way of my module to the guy next up the line:
It would come out and cross my module and end up at my out port the other end:
As this is set to accept all trains and send them to the next guy would it not do so ?

Problem is I cant test this as I cant sen something to me, would need someone else on the other end
Is there a tutorial on the iPortal apart from that in the manual ?

there is no way for me to give a command for the train whilst it is on your route, can only give commands on my own layout as my pc wouldnt be able to access the info on your route, when you give a drive to command you need to select a destination from the list, there is no way of telling the driver what is on your map,

so the last command i can give my train is to drive to my exit iportal, after that the train would be in, i hope, your safe hands:)

cheers

gav

rockster
April 15th, 2007, 04:36 AM
but in the setup it says if the reciving port is set to AUTO then the train coming out would continue to proceed just following the way the points were set and respond to the signals:

So if you were sending a through train by way of my module to the guy next up the line:
It would come out and cross my module and end up at my out port the other end:
As this is set to accept all trains and send them to the next guy would it not do so ?

Problem is I cant test this as I cant sen something to me, would need someone else on the other end
Is there a tutorial on the iPortal apart from that in the manual ?

hi, i see what you mean now, if the points are set correctly then the train would continue through, but what i was saying i couldn't give a command to tell the train to go to your portal,

remember, if you have moved a junction and not moved it back, then the incoming train could end up getting lost and causing you trouble, i would suggest giving it a comand to drive to the other portal

cheers

Gav

philfree
April 15th, 2007, 04:55 AM
HI
i also would be very interested in this i have been looking around for something like this to come up. The only problem i see for me is that i am in Australia and i am also into australian trains.

But i would be happy to run any type of trains as long as it's freeware

Thanks

Kelly88
April 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM
hi, i see what you mean now, if the points are set correctly then the train would continue through, but what i was saying i couldn't give a command to tell the train to go to your portal,

remember, if you have moved a junction and not moved it back, then the incoming train could end up getting lost and causing you trouble, i would suggest giving it a comand to drive to the other portal

cheers

Gav

maybe
but my points are set straight through and any unit that leaves the main line by changing them they are automaticly reset to the default after it has passed, and my signals all work correct, the routte I have chose is from my main layout, I have just modernised it from steam with semaphores to br-lights, and chopped off some boards at each end, my main route is modular, and each part by placing ports at each end can be used seperate

I have run the line ( infact is still running on the other computer ) now for 3 hours, there is a 2 track station in it and I have a passanger unit pulling in and loading/unloading every 25mins on both tracks, so far not one has taken a wrong turning, and if the platform is occupied because there is a good unit shunting in the area ( there is a dock and industry north side and a small goods yard south side of the main line) the through bound units are detected an stopped at lights well clear of the station

atsfrr3000
April 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I tried to set something very much like this into place shortly after '06 was released, and didn't get much further than you are now. I say most of luck to you sir, you will need it!

And yes, I do agree it is a great idea, if only it would come to fruitition.

-Chris (tm)

colinknapp
April 16th, 2007, 02:21 AM
well i am happy to see so much support!

however at least for the moment my internet is out of action until i get some virus software.

however having read all the posts since my last visit i feel i should clarify a few things.

1. every one should email me with the industrys there module contains i will post this info on the ITrainz. to prevent doubleing up on industrys

2. each dispatcher is only responible for what happens on there own module and can only order it to enter or exit, not move to so in so 3 modules away

3. i said every should choose a common theme to prevent 2 engines from different countrys meeting on the same stretch, but if that doesn't matter then thats fine.

Colinknapp

WileeCoyote
April 16th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Question, the module I'm building has three IPortal inlets and outlets, all of them are two track ones but I have it as such: IPortals in and out North, same but south, same but West. Is this okay or are only two inlets and outlets allowed (just West and South)?

Kelly88
April 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I would think that this would not be a problem this would give you more interactivity; at the worst if the other guys are not sure about this you could just nominate 4 of them to start with an see how thing go; it would not be a reason not to use your route:

The uinit I have ready is a module from my main layout, and this has 2 ports at each end: the module is just 5 boards long: but I think I will need to put some more on each end otherwise as soon as something comes out of the port it will be ontop of my station/industy complex before I have time to direct it: I think I will also put a small marshaling yard at each end to recive and dispatch units from as my goods yard and dock complex are not so big, passanger units are no problem they could enter/stop at station or pass directly through to the next module; but only those with max 5 coaches would be allowed to stop as thats the max the platforms can handle, longer one will pass through: only thing is when I run this module as a stand alone unit myself I have several passanger units under AI control: there is a stopping train at each platform every 45 mins and 1 through express each way every hour: I then just play the goods yard and dock complex putting units in and out loading unloading as required and try to do this without interfering with the passanger service; anyway thats a lot of waffal for the moment, see how it goes

Rgds Mike

Question, the module I'm building has three IPortal inlets and outlets, all of them are two track ones but I have it as such: IPortals in and out North, same but south, same but West. Is this okay or are only two inlets and outlets allowed (just West and South)?

Kelly88
April 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Well we said from the start that only content from the DL Station to be used as Rolling stock and thats freeware so no problem there

I would like to have you in and I see no problem here apart from the time factor, we are all UK or European based GMT+1 or 2

It would be difficult to find a time when we could all be on line togeather
for me its not such a problem I am available subject to the wifes whims from 0900 to 1900 each and every day as I'm retired, but I expect some of the guys have other commitments so their time would be more limited
anyway see what you think and if it can be arranged your welcome

rgds
Mike

HI
i also would be very interested in this i have been looking around for something like this to come up. The only problem i see for me is that i am in Australia and i am also into australian trains.

But i would be happy to run any type of trains as long as it's freeware

Thanks

philfree
April 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hi

Havening said that i should still be able to join on weekends given that i normally stay up late then, i don't know if i got my wires crossed but i would be up late to join in when the majority of people would be late afternoon early night about the content i don't know if trs 06 was released globally with the same Australian built in content as it was in Australia if so then i could just use the built in content. I have started mucking around with a layout to use for the iportal and at the moment it looks like it will contain a forestry, stations and a seaport.

Thanks

colinknapp
April 17th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I have no problem with useing more than 2 sets of portals however if 1 person has this est up then somewhere someone else will need 3 sets of portals as well or a terminus.

as for times i'm available most weekends but not during the week, and i can't stay too late either, but it might not be neccessary for everyone to be present to run a service accross the network just bypass whoever isn't present.

Colinknapp

Kelly88
April 17th, 2007, 02:42 AM
For sure but if my power station needs coal and the guy that has the mine is on strike I am up the creek ?

I have no problem with useing more than 2 sets of portals however if 1 person has this est up then somewhere someone else will need 3 sets of portals as well or a terminus.

as for times i'm available most weekends but not during the week, and i can't stay too late either, but it might not be neccessary for everyone to be present to run a service accross the network just bypass whoever isn't present.

Colinknapp

Kelly88
April 17th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Ok so I am going to use a different module

The Main industry will be a large Grain complex
It will be adaptable to use large trains
say 25/30 grain hoppers on each track with about 6 load/unload tracks
there will be an arrival yard and a departure yard
I will both recive grain and export grain

There will also be in this complex fuel reciving line
so I would need to recive Deisel for the plants power requirements

The reciving and dispaching yards will have maybe 10 tracks each
all grain comodities will be catered for

this will be situated just out side a small town so there will be a station with 2 main platfoms: 1 bay and 2 through lines
there will be a small goods yard
this will contain a small coal reciving line ( house coal ) so only 5 or 6 wagons here
and a cattle export dock so I would have cattle available for anyone who wants to include a meat factory ?

I think thats about covers it
the main grain complex is ready ( track down ) and the main line is in place but not open for traffic yet ( still some work to do )

as for putting the routes up on the DL Station well thats up to you but you will have the problems of the DL's acceptance rules, there is no reason why we cant send each other the routes by CDP on the internet
Also there is the question about iChat , its not required but we have to have some means of comunication during the session
I have 4 PC running so for me its not a problem I can have one open for messanger or skype ? so I will go along with what ever you guys like best

rgds
Mike

insulfrog
April 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I have just completed my module, here are the features: -

1) A main line with a terminus station to start and end trips. The station is industry-active
2) 2 re-rail portals - one entrance to add trains and look for derailments and one out to take unwanted trains away. The re-rail portals are their 'basic' type (the ones without the tunnel).
3) 2 iportals - one entrance to handle incomming trains and one exit to handle outgoing trains.
4) 2 interactive industries - a power station and a container station.
5) All track is electrified with the OH wires to handle electric trains.
6) Everything that is in this module is either built-in or from the DLS.
7) I have included a session with the 'Emit Train Now' rule and a few EMU trains, which are industry active and runs the busy commuter schedule.
8) The session includes the correct industry-active stock, which is built-in.

There is still some bugs to deal with so its not perfect. I'll post some images when I have the time. :)

Kelly88
April 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I think that all should post a list of rolling stock/engines that they intend to use, that way we can all make sure we have them in our database
I will send my list in tomorrow

comtrain
April 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM
G'Day
Just wondering how you would overcome the missing person(s) Not everybody can be available every time. I was thinking that each person has the route on ether side of him, as well as his own.
If the group is 8 members and you are no 3, then your three layouts are 2+3 combined, 3 and 3 +4 combined.
If you get together on MSN, and number 2 or 4 are missing (or both ???) then all you need to know is what map you are controlling for this session. The combined maps would have to retain their portal to portal connections to cater for the scripts, I would think?
Oh and a great idea, hope it gets going :D
Cheers
Rod

Kelly88
April 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
So you will be at the end of the line and only be able to take traffic from 1 person;

Or we can treat you as a branch line
In the original concept it was stated that we would form a circle

Kelly88
April 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM
G'Day
Just wondering how you would overcome the missing person(s) Not everybody can be available every time. I was thinking that each person has the route on ether side of him, as well as his own.
If the group is 8 members and you are no 3, then your three layouts are 2+3 combined, 3 and 3 +4 combined.
If you get together on MSN, and number 2 or 4 are missing (or both ???) then all you need to know is what map you are controlling for this session. The combined maps would have to retain their portal to portal connections to cater for the scripts, I would think?
Oh and a great idea, hope it gets going :D
Cheers
Rod

No ggod keeping the portals because they wont work you can not send anything to yourself with the iPort set to internet

Kelly88
April 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
At the rate things are going maybe next week we can start to set up the iPorts with each others details and start testing the internet connections
Looks like most people will have a route down by then even if it will need tuning

atsfrr3000
April 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I made a module with LOTS of logging camps, so I can probably fulfill most log needs. I won't be on often though, sorry to say. But when I am on, here's what you need to know.

-Contact 'atsfrr3000' in-game and tell me how many logs you need, and what iPortal to send them to.
-Feel free to send me a train to load if you have one. I have my own of course but it's easier if you send a pick-up guy.
-If you do send me a pick-up guy, expect the whole thing back. I have a bazillion locos sitting around and I don't need any spare, thanks.
-If I have to send you a train with your stuff, please send it back. I'd like to keep my train count the same. :)
-If you send a pick-up guy, please send him with a load of General Goods if at all possible! My industries are linked to a storehouse of General Goods. No Goods, no logs, I'm afraid!

Those are my terms, if you find them unacceptable, I'm sure there's lots of other suppliers available :)

Oh, and by the way, I have no real interest in being on a part of a mainline, so my industry setup here is a stub. Think of me as an interchange line between people's modules. :)

-Chris (tm)

philfree
April 18th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Hi
i found a route laying around and just added in the iportals.
I have the following industry's:
cattle yard: Cattle either providing or accepting
Container yard: Accepting General goods and providing 20ft and 40ft containers
General goods platform: which is just a basic multi industry

Rolling stock i intend on using are:
I am pretty sure all this is built in content but weather it is built-in on other versions of trs06 im not sure
NSWGR BDY Open Wagon
NSWGr ICK container wagon
QR MAS 1488
QR Mas 1491
QR MBC
QR MCC
QR MPC
QR 2100 Class
GM Australia national
830 Class Australia national
NSW SRA 81 Class

Also how do we intend on working out msn address EG are we going to put them on the form

thanks Philfree

insulfrog
April 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Right, I call my module complete, however the session still has unrectifyable bugs and you will have to help the automated commuter trains set the points at the station. I have made it so that the module can have additional baseboards north and south of the module if the rules allow it or if the rules change to allow bigger modules.

Below is the route shown in TrainzMap, which gives you an idea of what the layout looks like. I have added the text in paint after taking a screenie of trainzmap, put it in paint, trim it, then added the text.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1636/route1itrainz1kp6.png (http://imageshack.us)

What do you think?

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting (http://imageshack.us)

rockster
April 18th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Right, I call my module complete, however the session still has unrectifyable bugs and you will have to help the automated commuter trains set the points at the station.

hi looks good, have you thought about path control and path rule, i am using these on my route in a base session, i have programmed every path i think anyone would ever need using both rules, the set path rule allows for coupling, the path control along with the path trigger rule means i can set path that are initiated when the train hits a trigger, it takes a bit of setting up, but saying as these are quite small routes, its not too ad

gav

Kelly88
April 19th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Can send them by private message here

Hi
i found a route laying around and just added in the iportals.
I have the following industry's:
cattle yard: Cattle either providing or accepting
Container yard: Accepting General goods and providing 20ft and 40ft containers
General goods platform: which is just a basic multi industry

Rolling stock i intend on using are:
I am pretty sure all this is built in content but weather it is built-in on other versions of trs06 im not sure
NSWGR BDY Open Wagon
NSWGr ICK container wagon
QR MAS 1488
QR Mas 1491
QR MBC
QR MCC
QR MPC
QR 2100 Class
GM Australia national
830 Class Australia national
NSW SRA 81 Class

Also how do we intend on working out msn address EG are we going to put them on the form

thanks Philfree

Kelly88
April 21st, 2007, 02:52 AM
Ok :
So come Tuesday I will be ready to run some tests
Thats if we are still on Go
Not been much responce this last few days

philfree
April 21st, 2007, 03:56 AM
Hi
if the time difference isn't to much i am willing to give it a go to i think i got a number of the bugs out of mine (hoping)

Philfree

colinknapp
April 21st, 2007, 05:48 AM
i still have a virus/ spyware problem here, which is a complete pane

but i have still been think about how ITrainz can be made to work, so heres my latest thought:

standardisation of portal ids,

all modules have an up and a down line (some have a branch as well)

so here are the portal ids

an inbound portal on the upline would be:
HH(this is the name of your module in this case holbury halt) I(inbound) U(upline) (HHIU)
an outbond on the down line would be:
HH(Holbury Halt) O (outbond) D(downline) (HHOD)

on the branch line inbound you would have

HH(holbury halt) I(inbound) B(branchline) (HHIB)

i think it would be easyest to have this sort of standisation

colinknapp

Kelly88
April 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM

but i have still been think about how ITrainz can be made to work, so heres my latest thought:

HH(this is the name of your module in this case holbury halt) I(inbound) U(upline) (HHIU)

colinknapp

We have to place each person thats ready in a line (or position) because we can only send to the 1 each side : teh 2 at the ends will also be connected to form a circle ?

I have every one in this thread entered in my buddy list , thats 7 plus me = 8 units !

all of line at the moment

Kelly88
April 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM
At the moment I have had 15 units under AI control running all morning to sort out any bottlenecks
So far so good

Kelly88
April 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM

colinknapp

Well just happens my mod is Hickly Halt so I would end up with the same as you if we go like this;
I have set up a trap anway on both the inputs to my module so units do not have a direct line into my module
incoming units arrive and run to a set of yards like a fiddle then from here to a normal portal that comes out on a normal portal on the module, this way I have time to give them instructions to follow and can set them off so as not to upset the schedules of the AI units running:

=========================
========================
iPort ======================================portal // Portal

:D :D :D

HSSRAIL
April 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
I am always interested in multi-player developments good luck with your project.

It is my opinion that the first step to multi-player functionality in a railroad simmulator is the ability to control switches and signals from another computer than the one running trainz.

The next step would be the creation of an AI driver controlled from another computer that receives images from the layout the train is running on. I think the programming on this is a lot harder than the first.

Howard

comtrain
April 24th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I am always interested in multi-player developments good luck with your project.

It is my opinion that the first step to multi-player functionality in a railroad simmulator is the ability to control switches and signals from another computer than the one running trainz.

The next step would be the creation of an AI driver controlled from another computer that receives images from the layout the train is running on. I think the programming on this is a lot harder than the first.

Howard

I believe we came pretty close to getting Trainz Multi-Player this time instead of Classics. But unfortunately this thread shows how few the numbers are who really want it. I guess this is the best we are going to get just for now. Keep up the good work, fellas, and please post a story about your first sessions, your problems and how you worked around it. And if we want "true" multi player Trainz, then we need to start a thread and get 2000 reads and 500 posts in a short time, to prove our point to Auran, and I think we could do that.
It is relatively easy to develop it, but the old Trainz engine might be stretched to breaking limit ?? :p
Maybe the next incarnation of Trainz can get a new 3D engine as well :D
Cheers
Rod

Smileyman
April 24th, 2007, 06:04 AM
****** This post has been moved by me to Comtrains new thread to avoid taking this thread from it's original topic. ******

ish6
April 24th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I've been calling for an online version for nearly 5 years now ... and at one time, I thought it all out on how Auran can precede with it ...I can't recall what I wrote so long ago, but I remembering saying that:

Auran would need to be running a special map of their servers ... 1 gigantic map to accommodate every possible tasks ... it would be MMOG or Massive Multi player Online Game .... Players would join be signing up to a account in their profile or in the in-game itself ... Task should be assigned on what type of stock they decied to select:

freight
Passenger
Special interests: like tankers, and TTX, etc ...

SO, for example, let's say I join ... I am given a loco and rolling stock and an assignment ... I leave the yard to enter the main line .... from this point forward the servers would monitor your behavior ... so if you pass a red light, a junction, etc ... anything that violate the rules the player gets kick and suspended, etc

A charge can cover the cost, because Auran would need to hire someone to monitor and update the system ...a monthly or yearly fee charge can be set... something reasonable so notto scare the masses!!

It has potential .... The map needs to be huge enough to accommodate hundreds that might join ... I know that frame rate and too much loco's and rolling stocks might have some PC's choking to death, however, have the system give red signs so no one player see more than a dozens Trainz at a time ...

Anyhow, just preliminary stuff ... but that's the direction I would go if I worked for Auran, and asked for my opinion how to make it precede with onlin trainz ...

Ish

comtrain
April 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I might just open a new thread, so we can let these good people concentrate on their version
New Thread (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=91002#post91002)
Cheers
Rod

Smileyman
April 24th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Good idea.
I'll move my post to your new thread so they can carry on with their topic.

Smiley.

Kelly88
April 26th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Hey you guys
This thing still alive or what
not heard anything now for days

Me I'm all set up and ready to roll, just need 2 contacts ( 1 for each end of my line;

rockster
April 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hey you guys
This thing still alive or what
not heard anything now for days

Me I'm all set up and ready to roll, just need 2 contacts ( 1 for each end of my line;

My route is ready although im am busy trying to test it before i do anything else,

Cheers

Gav

colinknapp
April 27th, 2007, 02:19 AM
it might take me a while to get going (i know! i started this ITrainz thing, so i should have already been ready but i've been having trouble with viruses lately

however i have been continuly monitoring this thread, the website, and my emails once a day, if things go well i might be ready to go on sunday, if thats the case i will put out an email to every address that has emailed me.

PLEASE EMAIL ME TO BE ADDED TO MAILING LIST
i.pidgley@hotmail.co.uk

oh by the way i'm working on a website banner and i hope to upload a preview soon

colinknapp

Kelly88
April 27th, 2007, 02:36 AM
My route is up and running ( here with AI anyway)
there will always be a few problems at the start, but if we dont make a start we will not be able to find them or solve them
My track work and signals are all in place, industrys all working
bottlenecks solved
my soundCore dll problem has been solved
the route is not yet a great deal of scenery but that doent stop it form running and can be added as I go:

Colin:
If your route is ready on sunday maybe the 2 of us can connect for say half hour to setup and prove the iPortal side of things
we only need to say send each other a single loco in and out the ports to make a test:

one thing I have noticed is that I have to set the contact list up each time I start the route in driver, they dont stay there from each session: not sure if this is right or not; maybe you can confirm this one way or the other

Rgds
Mike

colinknapp
April 28th, 2007, 05:22 AM
i just so happen to be around now so email me if you want to take part in test

colinknapp

Kelly88
April 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hi there
just seen your message( been with Gmax all day )

i just so happen to be around now so email me if you want to take part in test

colinknapp

colinknapp
April 30th, 2007, 02:13 AM
for anyone who is still following this thread:

myself and Kelly88 caried out a test of the iportals yesterday (sunday), the test was a success however we have found it is neccessary to make sure everyone has the content that will be used on the route. (which i did say at the beginning)

the test consited of 2 intercity125s and a CN diseal pulling a rake of tankers filled with diesal.

Colinknapp

Kelly88
April 30th, 2007, 03:19 AM
The test was also constructive because it highlighted to places on my map that put the imported trains in conflict with the AI units running in the background that forced his 125's to be routed through my goods loop instead of the station through tracks ( fixed now)

Today I will put up a list of my stock
anyone not having this can get it from The DLS or let me know and I can send it to them if the give me their E-Mail

Colin
You say your board is 3 long, maybe this is a bit short
mine is 13 + 6 ( 3 each end with the inbound traps, unconected to the route) and even with this I was running around like a blue fly to to sevice your input; although 1 rake of 125s every 3 mins was i bit of overkill
and you were only using the input at one end, if I had someone else imputting from the other end at the same time it would have been impossible for me to sevice them and muster units for the outbound; OK so it was a test and normaly there would'nt be such a big flow through

The traps at each end of my route worked fine
they are set to auto so come out proceed to a layby track and wait untill I sevice them, I can hold 6 consits at each end like this without affecting my main line
my output lines (2 one at each end are connected direct to the main line )

The other thing is the comunication, colin a I were using the iChat screen
but it take up a large lump of thr screen, maybe we should use Messanger or skype for this, but this would mean a 2nd computer running, no problem for me as I have 4 to select from, but what about you guys, have you this possibility ?

rgds

for anyone who is still following this thread:

myself and Kelly88 caried out a test of the iportals yesterday (sunday), the test was a success however we have found it is neccessary to make sure everyone has the content that will be used on the route. (which i did say at the beginning)

the test consited of 2 intercity125s and a CN diseal pulling a rake of tankers filled with diesal.

Colinknapp

comtrain
April 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Mike would it be possible to add a cheap video card to run a second monitor and thus run the chat screen there as well as consist notes train messages or what else. Many of us have updated to lcd screens, maybe the old monitor is still around?
Just a thought.
Really looking forward to see how you guys manage it
Cheers
Rod

colinknapp
April 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM
unfortuantly a second computer or moniture isn't an option for me.

i did hope that someone might join the group who could program us a new unabtrusive chat screen, but until then the ingame messager will have to surfice.

colinknapp

Starfox
April 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Why don't you use what people use in MSTS for multiplayer (for chatting that is), it's a program called Teamspeak.

Kelly88
April 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Mike would it be possible to add a cheap video card to run a second monitor and thus run the chat screen there as well as consist notes train messages or what else. Many of us have updated to lcd screens, maybe the old monitor is still around?
Just a thought.
Really looking forward to see how you guys manage it
Cheers
Rod

Like I said its not a problem for me , I have 4 active computers to hand and 2 more under the table somewere if I needed them, I ama horder
never thow anything away, boxes of mothermoards/video & sound cards, memory simms / hard drives you name it I will have it somewere

Kelly88
April 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Why don't you use what people use in MSTS for multiplayer (for chatting that is), it's a program called Teamspeak.

never heard of it, will have to have a look, is it free cos some of the guys are not over endowed with cash

were can we find it ?

rockster
April 30th, 2007, 03:34 PM
never heard of it, will have to have a look, is it free cos some of the guys are not over endowed with cash

were can we find it ?

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

seems the program is free for non-commercial use, you would need a headset tho, you got one o them stashed away anywhere :D

colinknapp
May 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM
now that i do have! (a head set) i might even have the program! i'll have a look

Colinknapp

Kelly88
May 1st, 2007, 03:14 AM
several of all kinds
My wife says I can soon open a shop for 2nd hand componants

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

seems the program is free for non-commercial use, you would need a headset tho, you got one o them stashed away anywhere :D

colinknapp
May 2nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
introdcing the new ITrainz Banner, yes that right i've been slaveing over a computer for the last hour and have produced a banner for ITrainz

http://www.pichostonline.com/uploads/c59729e9e7.jpg (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/www.freewebs.com/itrainz)

ok i know its not anything special but its a start!

Kelly88
May 5th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Well at the moment it looks like you and me
no input from the other guys for a long time
Next week(wednesday) I have to go to england for 1 week ( maybe 2)
so I also will be just a shadow on the wall.

any way it will give the other guys time to come on line !!

introdcing the new ITrainz Banner, yes that right i've been slaveing over a computer for the last hour and have produced a banner for ITrainz

http://www.pichostonline.com/uploads/c59729e9e7.jpg (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/www.freewebs.com/itrainz)

ok i know its not anything special but its a start!

adrian19
May 5th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Hi Colin and others,

only just picked up on this thread today, sounds great and I have a few ideas.

Why not have a pool of routes to choose from depending on the number of players available, at the start of the session it's decided which player takes which section of the route, and then tries to keep to the predetermined timetable for his section.

Why not base some sessions on real routes like Paddington to Bristol which is already available on the DLS divided into 8 parts, it would just need i-portals added to the ends, normal portals added to simulate lines to Basingstoke,Oxford,Wales etc, etc...

From what I understand you don't actually need to form a physical circle with the i-portals but a virtual circle, meaning equal pairs to and from the next person, so in the case of the above route the controller of Paddington might have 2 pairs of portals connected to the controller at Slough, and Slough would have 2 Pairs to Paddington plus 2 Pairs to Reading and so on, finally Bristol would have i-portals coming from Bath with normal portals for traffic to and from Wales.

Q. Now how does a signalman in the U.K. know how to route a train ?

A. By the train-code and the timetable.

Traffic could be spawned by the normal portals on each members section of the line where appropriate, named with just it's train-code, then the controller would have to route that train towards it's destination using that train-code and the timetable.

I do have one question, do trains keep their commands from one i-portal to the next like they can with normal portals ? If so the problem of the train's programming and final destination could be solved. Add invisible track to a corner of a board, but NOT connected to the rest of the layout, then duplicate the trackmarks present on all the other sections for all the possible destinations, then use the "AutoDrive to" command and in theory the train will continue to advance respecting signals and junctions until it reaches the specified trackmark, as it can't do that on this section, because the track with the trackmark isn't connected to the layout, it will continue to advance through the portal and the next until it does.

Have fun

Adrian 19

PS Paddington in 8 parts by widowmaker kuid #78581

colinknapp
May 5th, 2007, 05:25 AM
i m not too sure that would work,

but as for your ideas about the prototypical route, that is the main reason for ITrainz, however it isn't neccessary for every one to do just one route, the only reason i said it is better to have one country at a time is because of roilling stock.

for example you could run what ever module you want, and you would be linked up to people who could be running entirly fictioanl routes.

Kelly88
May 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
To see if the iPort will carry driver commands with it is something we have not tried yet, but I bought this up before, next trial session we can try, I will give colin a set of route commands to send one of his through the system with out me having to program it, but I think as things stand its not possible because the track points and destinations will not be registered on his route so would not show to be selected; maybe this can be overcome by placing a dummy board on the route map and adding these markers too it, then they would be available for selection !

colinknapp
May 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
yeah but wouldn't an exclamation mark appear beside the driver moaning that he couldn't get to the specified track mark, or if you connected the track to the main line chances are he wouldn't even go near the portal!

Kelly88
May 6th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Your probably right, but its worth the try !

yeah but wouldn't an exclamation mark appear beside the driver moaning that he couldn't get to the specified track mark, or if you connected the track to the main line chances are he wouldn't even go near the portal!

adrian19
May 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Hi Colin,

not if you use the "AutoDrive to" command, the train will keep driving forwards respecting signals, junctions and speed limits until it comes across the specified trackmark, it won't try to set a route to get to it, that's up to the operator to do, using PathTriggers or by doing it manually.

If the portals do carry commands across, then you'll need all the possible trackmarks, on all the layouts, otherwise if the train arrives on a layout where the trackmark doesn't exist, this could cause an error, or the command may just simply get forgotten.

It is important to use the "AutoDrive to" command and not the normal "Drive to" command.

Adrian 19

rockster
May 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM
hi, does all this not spoil the idea of the user being dispatchher for his route if the train is going to carry on regardless

cheers

Gav

Kelly88
May 6th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Not realy
If the unit is straight through too the next player you dont need any intervention

If it is to be seviced by your industrys then you need to ensure the industry is free, this is why I have put traps on my route, nothing can enter the main line until I have made sure the destination is free
My iPorts into my system are not connected directly to the route princible
they arrive at a small yard off screen, then exit this yard through a normal portal onto the main line, only when I can accomadate them; I can hold 6 incoming units at a time at each end
If it is straight through then it would just need the track marks for the main line and the exit port , its these marks it would need to bring with it

hi, does all this not spoil the idea of the user being dispatchher for his route if the train is going to carry on regardless

cheers

Gav

colinknapp
May 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
is this auto drive-to command built in?

newforestroadwarrior
May 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
This looks very interesting - especially as my dad has just bought himself 2006 and I am experimenting with sending a Deltic through the ether.

Ian

atsfrr3000
May 6th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Well, with the increasing number of people here interested in iPortals, I've modified my project route to accomodate them. In addition to the two portals I have on the east end of my layout (west end isn't there yet :cool:) I've placed two iPortals that allow for incoming and outbound traffic. The junction of the iPortal lead tracks and the mainline is right at the throat of my first yard; you ought to see all of the switches I had to install to allow for every routing possibility :cool: That and the 4-track main leading in from the portals is just cool :cool:

Thus far, I have the following industries:

-Coal Mine
-Seaport
-Power Plant
-Lumber storehouse

So my layout currently only produces coal, but demands all of the built-in commodities. Meaning most trains you guys send me will be to deliver goods to me, and me send the train back empty. :cool: But don't worry, as the layout grows I'll have more industries producing goods.

I'd love to join in on your operating sessions, but to be honest I don't really give a whit about the rules on my layout design; if you ask me, what people do with their layouts is their own business. I've already far broken the 2-3 baseboard suggestion (my layout is currently about 12 miles long and expanding every day) so I'm not too worried about following the others; this is my route, after all :cool:

-Chris (tm)

comtrain
May 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Well, with the increasing number of people here interested in iPortals, I've modified my project route to accomodate them. In addition to the two portals I have on the east end of my layout (west end isn't there yet :cool:) I've placed two iPortals that allow for incoming and outbound traffic. The junction of the iPortal lead tracks and the mainline is right at the throat of my first yard; you ought to see all of the switches I had to install to allow for every routing possibility :cool: That and the 4-track main leading in from the portals is just cool :cool:

Thus far, I have the following industries:

-Coal Mine
-Seaport
-Power Plant
-Lumber storehouse

So my layout currently only produces coal, but demands all of the built-in commodities. Meaning most trains you guys send me will be to deliver goods to me, and me send the train back empty. :cool: But don't worry, as the layout grows I'll have more industries producing goods.

I'd love to join in on your operating sessions, but to be honest I don't really give a whit about the rules on my layout design; if you ask me, what people do with their layouts is their own business. I've already far broken the 2-3 baseboard suggestion (my layout is currently about 12 miles long and expanding every day) so I'm not too worried about following the others; this is my route, after all :cool:

-Chris (tm)

Maybe ,Chris, the point of limiting the size now, is a good one to allow everybody to learn how it is going to work?
As I read it a session has not been fully successful yet,and we don't even know if the train takes it's rules through the portals yet?
I am sure it will be developed as the group learns how it works. In this case I would trust the K.I.S.S principle! :D
Cheers
Rod

atsfrr3000
May 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I see your point. I suppose I can just wait out the teething phase while the organization gets the hang of iPortals, not to blow my own whistle but I used iPortals so much in the early days that I'm pretty confident I can just plug right in and skip the training stage :cool: I've actually been a part of a few iPortal operating sessions that went quite well. Just keep the following in mind:

-Communication is critical. You can't just send a player a train with no warning at all; believe me, he will be very mad if all of a sudden he has an extra train to deal with and nothing to do with it!

-Always leave at least a decent length of lead track from your iPortal before any switches, direction markers, etc. Having a yard right outside the iPortal is pointless, useless, and a waste of trackage, because the trains will ignore the switches anyways. It would probably be wise to publish an advisory for members of these modules giving the maximum train length; then, they can design their modules with this in mind, and so long as nobody sends a train too long to someone else, it would work well.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I would not expect everyone to download all of the content you list as required for the sessions. That's the nice thing about TRS2006; there's enough variety of built-in content that you can specify that users use only default stock and products, and there'll still be enough variety to keep things interesting. In my opinion the rule should be built-in rollingstock and locos only for ease of use, I know that's all I will be using in any given iPortal session.

-Chris (tm)

colinknapp
May 7th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Hey up,

#atsfrr3000, i admit i was a bit worried when reading your post,

"Thus far, I have the following industries:

-Coal Mine
-Seaport
-Power Plant
-Lumber storehouse"

If you look back to the early posts you'll see i limited the number of industrys each module could have to 2 (other wise we will have a lot of the industrys in the same session all demanding the same goods)

where ever possible we will keep to built in stock but sometimes it gets mixed up with custom content

ITrainz is still new, and i am still reading these forums in order to adapt the rules and stuff so please bear with me, i hope it wont be too long before we can run a proper session.

Kelly88
May 7th, 2007, 05:44 AM
There is no problem with route length, make it as ng as you can handle
mine is 13 boards + 3 each end for the trap on the incoming lines

I have the followin industry

Imports
1/ Coal for the power station ( normaly every one would have a power station)

2/ Grain ' any kind ( LARS )
3/ Cattle
4/ Diesil Oil ( small amounts as this is for the Grain Complex )

Exports

1/ Wheat
2/ Crude Oil
3/ Containers ( 20's & 40's only ) in small batches ( 5 flats at a time only)

I have other industrys on the board but they are serviced from within the route; althou it is always possible to import/export from these aswell

I also have some custom stock ( built for my own use ) when the system is established I will send the files to all players; the reason for this is that this route has been adapted from my personal route that I have been building and expanding for some time and I use this myself solo

atsfrr3000
May 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Well, like I said, I'm not going to bother making a seperate route for this, I'd much rather use my project route as it allows me to examine how AI drivers operate when a new one is introduced to the mix. That may help point out any potential trackwork flaws or bottlenecks.

I've just added another city, so chances are there'll be more industries, but do not despair; I won't be leeching resources off of everyone. My ultimate goal is to make the layout completely self-sustaining; i.e. every product that the industries demand is produced somewhere, and every product that is produced is consumed somewhere else. So when the layout is fully finished, I actually won't need any resources from anyone :)

However, in the interest of allowing this route to plug into an iTrainz session without an overly long mainline, I will palce my other two iPortals in the new city. The travel time between the two is still about 10-15 minutes, so my module will be considerably longer than most, but it's better than putting them on either end of the route (in the end the whole thing will be about 60 miles long! :D

-Chris (tm)

colinknapp
May 8th, 2007, 02:07 AM
ok if your won't be leeching off everyone else then its not a problem, but you should choose a couple that you want served by Iportal traffic (even if just stations!)

atsfrr3000
May 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
ok if your won't be leeching off everyone else then its not a problem, but you should choose a couple that you want served by Iportal traffic (even if just stations!)

Well the routes concept was not as an iPortal route; originally this was going to be a completely self-sustaining, independent route. So even though I've now added iPortal capabilities to it, I'm still going to make it a completely self-sustaining layout that requires no commodities from outside the layout (although I'll still gladly recieve any trains sent to me!)

Plus, you have to keep in mind that the iPortals are not on a separate route here. The iPortals hook up directly to my main line, in fact they make up 2 out of 4 tracks on the East end of the layout (the other 2 being standard ol' portals.) Any trains that come in through the iPortals go directly to the nearest yard and are immediately integrated into the route.

With this in mind, I'd say I'd be more accurately described as a filler module; just stuff me between two modules and I'll let trains pass through my module to wherever. I just like watching lots of trains go by :D

-Chris (tm)

colinknapp
May 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM
ok,

I did when inventing the organisation ITrainz think that some people would want to just have a route which didn't interact with iportal traffic just let it flow through.

some of your description just confused me a bit (i blaim it on Luke interupting my ITrain of thought).

Kelly88
May 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
My map also is self substained in normal circumstances;
and during the iPort sessions will to a certain extent remain so
my passanger services will be running the line on AI control
My power station also: but it needs a input every 25 mins to keep it online so I would be reroute them to an outside source during the sessions
like wise the grain terminal this has 2 loading bays and 3 discharge bays
only wheat out; but any lars grain product in I would leave 1 each of these bays for outside servicing but there are 2 holding tracks for each bay
cattle can be import or export; I use the BR Cattle wagons that are built in and the track can handle 12+break and 1 loco; there are 3 holding lines for this industry: there is only 1 active load/unload line here
for the containers it is in/out service : only 6 wagons + loco in the active bays ( 1 load:1 unload ) but there are 6 sidings here that will take 10 wagons each:
There is an Oil export ( crude only ) in the dock can handle 6 wagons at a time with 2 sidings this was set up because during our test Colin asked for crude to be returned in the tanks he sent me with Gas Oil
Gas Oil is imported only in small quantitys ( 8 wagons max )
Passangers can be handled at the station 2 platforms + 1 bay and 2 through lines; platforms can take 7 coaches + loco

there are iPorts at each end of the line ( 13 boards )
The Outbound are connected direct to the line
Inbound are not: they arrive at a reception yard and exit through a normal portal when they have recived instruction
I have set up a system of schedules to give them depending on the commodity the have

other industrys that are on the board would remain under AI servicing but if someone required a product then it could be made available at a pinch

all industys are acsessable from both ends of the map

ok,

I did when inventing the organisation ITrainz think that some people would want to just have a route which didn't interact with iportal traffic just let it flow through.

some of your description just confused me a bit (i blaim it on Luke interupting my ITrain of thought).

colinknapp
May 9th, 2007, 03:55 AM
yeah i can see the benifit of that actually,

but i think i will stick to my Station and Fawley Refinary for my layout!

Keep it simple!

Kelly88
May 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM
yeah i can see the benifit of that actually,

but i think i will stick to my Station and Fawley Refinary for my layout!

Keep it simple!
but you say you have only 3 boards and I find that kind of small
just the iPorts and the run in takes almost 1 board so with both ends activated that leaves you 1 board

now my grain complex tahes up 5 boards time yo count the run in and the yards

atsfrr3000
May 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
ok,

The iPortals are connected directly to my one and only main line. What more is there to say? :D

I'll get some screens of how it all hooks up in a bit.

P.S. next time you guys have a test session shoot me an e-mail at atsfrr3000@hotmail.com so I can join you, I'm DYING to find out how through traffic will integrate with the local traffic on my layout.

-Chris (tm)

atsfrr3000
May 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
ok, screenshots of how the iPortals hook up to my main line on the Eastern end of the layout...

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9339/iportalhookup1ul7.jpg
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1494/iportalhookup2ce7.jpg

On the second image, the tracks are arranged as follows.

Bottom, L to R:
-Outbound iPortal traffic
-Inbound iPortal Traffic
-Outbound normal traffic
-Inbound normal traffic

Top, L to R:
-Fiddle track for Chayton Yard (over a mile long, actual yard is further down the line)
-Eastbound Mainline
-Westbound Mainline

And of course, in between there's an assortment of turnouts to allow for all of the various routing possibilities. I've not shown the other two iPortals, as they are arranged in a similar manner, except that they branch off from the mainline as a spur while the mainline continues (or will continue when I get around to it :cool:) to the West.

I do feel that having a main yard just inside the main line from the portals should allow me to keep bottlenecks away, as I can simply route trains from the portal onto the mainline or into the yard as needed. Keep in mind that the vast majority of the trains generated from the standard portals are through traffic and will go straight to the other end of the line (occasionally there might be a passenger train or two).

On top of that, those standard portals are dormant in my iPortal sessions; the only time they are used in iPortal sessions is when I need more cars, then I just use the Emit Train Rule to spit out what I need and send the delivery loco back to the portals :)

I suppose I won't really know how well my system works until we have 4-5 people running in a session and I happen to be in the very middle of it all, but I feel rather confident that I can avoid major backups using this system.

-Chris (tm)

comtrain
May 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
That looks great Chris! :)

I am about to go away touring Australia for the next three months, or I would be right in there with you guys. I hope you will post a list of the problems come up against as you go. It should not be difficult in this day and age and with broadband to set up a separate data link for sound and command transmission and then you will have these groups set up everywhere. Keep going you'r all pioneers!!
Cheers
Rod

colinknapp
May 10th, 2007, 02:14 AM
In game talking,

a few post ago we were discussing forms of communication and team speak was suggested:

can anyone tell me how to get the thing working,

call me stupid but i couldn't make it work :confused:

or can someone else set it up and give me the relevent passwords etc

apache62
May 10th, 2007, 05:58 AM
team speak is a good program the sever how ever is hard to set up especaly if you have a router i cant figure out how to get router to work with team speak

colinknapp
May 11th, 2007, 02:08 AM
i couldn't figure :confused: it out and i don't have a router any help would be appreciated!

WileeCoyote
May 11th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Theres always postcards.

colinknapp
May 11th, 2007, 02:16 AM
yes but we all know what Royal Mail is like!

(no offence to any Postman out there)

michael2541
May 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM
i bet someone will send a random train :rolleyes: say, like a eurostar ( or something else):D
Mike

atsfrr3000
May 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM
hahahaha

*re-installs the Rocket Cow and prepares to flood*

-Chris (tm)

colinknapp
May 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
that will only work if everyone in a session has the Rocket Cow!

atsfrr3000
May 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Oh hush :P

Chances are anyone with a KUID under 100000 have the Cow because they (and I) were the ones that were around when its creator was still active here :P

-Chris (tm)

atsfrr3000
May 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
P.S. Colin, if you have nothing to do for the next hour let me know, I'd like to try my iPortals on my new route.

-Chris (tm)

colinknapp
May 14th, 2007, 02:10 AM
sorry i wasn't around when you posted, or if i was i was on the wrong computer,

my route is under maintanence (total revamp!) and i haven't connected the Iportals yet, i will endevar to do this asap! so we can run another testing session,

when your around just tap into MSN and look for the address i.pidgley@hotmail.co.uk, if thats online then i'm around
(note on MSN my name is Ian)

colinknapp
May 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
My route is now ready to go :) :) :) WA-HOO (well pretty much 10 mins of tweaking ie laying out more rolling stock)

trainzguy1160
May 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
ooh can't wait! *rubs hands in glee*

colinknapp
May 18th, 2007, 02:10 AM
just have to wait until everyone is online at the same time (or at least to of us then i can test it!

Please can everyone get MSN mesanenger so we can use the voice conversation function (we haven't had much success with teamspeak! :confused:)

(you can set it up to accept your normall email address as a IM address if you so prefere.

useing MSN seems to be the easyest free option at the moment! unless anyone has a better suggestion?

colinknapp
May 26th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Recieved this the other day...

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/avatars/Kb5_pacific.gif (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?u=156876)Analizer (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?u=156876) http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true);
Railion GŁterkutscher

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/icons/icon1.gif yahoo group on ITrainz
Hi I started a Yahoo Group on Online ITrainz check it out at http://gamesource.groups.yahoo.com/group/trainz_online/

Hope you and your online buddys will join

Greetings Analizer

Colinknapp